Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's Building Belly Tank Racers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, May 6, 2004.

1. I know there is a HAMB'r from Switzerland building a Belly Tank and it looked very small!

I found this Tank on ebay and thought it would probably accommondate a larger engine as well as a pilot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14050&item=2241812880&rd=1

I'm not thinking of building one..., but I thought somebody on here would appreciate the find!

Anyone know what size belly tank that would work the best??? (gallon wise?)

Mark

2. One of THEM! guys in Tejas is working on one if I remember correctly.

JH

3. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

[ QUOTE ]
    One of THEM! guys in Tejas is working on one if I remember correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of us are.

4. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

Im kinda looking for one but the f16 tanks I found are 500. and was told thats to pricey. The f16 were 300gal and looked like they would work well

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

THEM! California
    Bobby is building one,,,

I would post Pixs but there on my starphoto account witch sucks ASS!!

evel

6. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

im not currently "building" one...but i am gathering parts as i come across them...i have a rear end and front end...wheels...a deal coming on a motor...i think i can make nearly everything else aside from the actual tank...i want one of the smaller ones...i may end up just making an aluminum body similar to stu hilborns car if i can't find a tank by the time im ready to build it...but i want to run an A motor...not an early v8 either way

any lines on the tank would be appreciated(im not sure which plane its out of but i want the smaller size tank)...im on a very low budget...id really like to not spend more then 500-1000 on the whole thing

zach

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

If THEM! had a South Carolina chapter would they be called Them'uns!? [​IMG]

The old standard was the P 38 tank I think. Not sure of the dimensions but whatever they are I'm pretty sure my big ass wouldn't fit! [​IMG]

8. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Joe, the P-38 Tank is 13 feet long and 36 inches in diameter. I have one in my back yard and it will be a Lakester in a couple of years. Wayno

9. I have a contact for an aluminum tank. I bought one and the guy's buddy had another to sell. 12.5 ft. long, 36" wide, and bolts together at the seam. He wants $1000 firm. That's what I paid for mine. The tank is in Pahrump,Nv. about an hour out of Baker,Ca. If anyone wants to contact the guy, let me know. Creeper

10. six5monster

six5monster

Hey,
    I think that I met that guy in Pahrump. He had lots of cool stuff.
    David

11. Droptank

Droptank

Creeper Larry: I woul like the contact information for the tank in Nv. Offline if you like at [email protected]

Thanks
    Droptank

12. I have a few of the parts gathered for an F-86 drop tank project. It will be a few years, new house come first.

13. sawzall

sawzall

my dads got a tank body. and a quick change and a motor for his... however he just picked up an older arca car that he'll prohably go landspeed racing with before the tank thing ever happens.. so hopefully someday I'll inherit the project and build the phoenixvillian....

14. Choptop

Choptop

15. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I'm building a streamliner. With a banger. Very small. Unusual "tank".

16. Nimrod

Nimrod

Hey Modernbeat, where the wheels going? If its not secret, in the tank, wheel pods, two tanks? Or should I just wait and find out?

17. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

the red open cockpit belly tank thats on the rod-n-race website...i think it sold at hershey a year or so ago....what is that tank from...thats the size i want...anyone have any idea...just so i know what im looking for in specific terms

thanks
    zach

18. Choptop

Choptop

its a P38 sized tank. good luck finding an original. go with the fiberglass one.

19. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

thanks...for telling me its a p-38...no chance of fiberglass...i know a guy with a buck for one...i'll make one before i go with glass...anyone have any of the rules for running something like this at bonneville..rollcage and whatnot?

zach

20. lahti35

lahti35

Hey guys new here and i've already got the tiger by the tail!

I'm looking for the plans or someone who can make me a p38 drop tank. I don't really wanna go fiberglass at all. I've got the cash and the need just don't have the tank or a builder. Any help guys?

Thanks!

Jason

21. stop

stop

hey all...my name is curtis...i have recently aquired a nice old 315 gallon job...ex-lakes racer, and will slowly be putting it back togther...i'll be posting some pages on the site in the near future...

Cp
    www.juicebrakes.com

22. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Curtis, nice to see you here. Welcome. You may want to post a thread called "Intro" just to let people know who you are and what you do.

Zach, belly tanks run in the Lakester class. Before you build anything you're going to need to buy, read, and understand the SCTA rule book. You can get one from the SCTA site, at http://www.scta-bni.org/

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

23. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Sorry Nimrod, not a streamliner, it's a lakester. Wheels are hanging out there in the air. A pal wants to fab up fenders so we can run in two classes. I dunno.

24. Nimrod

Nimrod

A tank with four teardrop shaped wheel pods would sure look wild.

25. disastron13

disastron13

Friend saw a tank, Jeep spindles adapted to early Ford axles with a Halibrand, it was front wheel drive.
    Model B motor and a champ car in-and-out box.
    Driver say behind the motor, it also had a nice art deco fin
    Wish I had some photos of it

26. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Disastron, I ABSOLUTELY need photos of that if you can get them. My lakester is a FWD banger powered tank. Driver lays down behind the engine.

27. Kent Fuller is building a Streamliner,an interview with him is in one of the tapes from Ron Covell.
    The driver lays down,in front,looking straight up through a periscope !
    Drive is through the rear wheels,which are mounted inline.
    A VERY narrow rearend mounts in front of the tires,
    with a sprocket on each side.A pair of chains transfers the HP to the tires.

AV8 can probably tell you more.

28. disastron13

disastron13

I tried to track down photos, no luck. It was in the 50s. The cool thing about it was the very short distance from ring gear to timing cover, maybe 32 inches, very compact set up. No driveshaft so the driver was low.
    The reason I remember it, was I was fascinated by using the Jeep steering and spindles. also the "reverse" fwd Halibrand. Quarter elliptics.
    My only clue for finding out more about the car, is that I think it later got a full streamliner body and a modern V8.
    You have a very cool mission going, wish I could help with fotografs.

29. disastron13

disastron13

AND it didn't have a driveshaft at all, some kind of industrial fabric/rubber coupler between the Halibrand and the box
    Man that's really all I can remember, it is so long ago.

30. disastron13

disastron13

Thinking back, it didn't have any driveshaft at all, just a industrial fabric/rubber machine coupling between the Halibrand and the box.
    But one clue- I think it later got a full streamline body and V8 motor.
    Sorry I can't remember more