Register now to get rid of these ads!

trans: manauls or autos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Oct 24, 2007.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I was just wondering what people think about the choice of trans these days, manuals or autos. Obviously, manuals are more traditional, but I see a lot pretty cool cars with auto trans. in them and they look ok for the most part and I can understand why and don't have a problem with it, but I always kind of think to myself whether I would do that. To me, seems like a manual shift is what is right for a traditional type of car/truck. To me it is not as bad as Boyd wheels or anything like that, but sort of. I do have an auto in my daily driver and prefer that, but it's not close to being anything vintage. My '53 Stude truck is a 3 on tree and it is a pain in ass to deal with sometimes, but that is just part of the deal for me. Thoughts? Ok, I'm headed for cover now, literally, "the covers".

2. tomslik

tomslik

well, automatics are cheaper and easier to install (unless you've aready got a stick setup)

3. twofosho

twofosho

Real Hot Rods have three pedals for a reason.

4. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

You know all about Hot Rods too.:rolleyes:

:confused: 1993 Mustang conv (was her's)
    1990 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 PU (everyone's gotta have a PU)
    1990 Mustang conv (wreck bought from the salvage pool)
    1989 Mustang conv (driver)
    1988 Mustang conv (driver)
    1984 Mercury C:confused:

5. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

automatics create alot of heat.

6. I prefer a stick, but my heavy pick-up has a 4L80e and it is a great combo with that big ass gas motor, but in a hot rod it's a whole lot more fun to have that manual control that only comes with a solid mechanical connection between your right foot and the road!

P.S. If that truck is a pain in the ass sometimes, maybe something is worn in the linkage and it hangs up? Maybe it's because the motor is small and there's no synchro in first gear?(see next paragraph)

Definition of a HotRod: must have enough motor to throw the car around!

Any more questions? When it comes to answers, I've got a million of 'em!

7. rustrustler

rustrustler

At 61 I find my knees appreciate an automatic much more than rowng thru the gears.

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

:)

:D :D :D

Our Anglia has an auto, the Model A has a stick. The GMC, we haven't screwed with yet, so it still has a stick (not sure which way we're goin with that one yet). Either the Anglia or the Model A are a handfull when you GAS 'em. I like a stick, but in something as small as the Anglia (or if you're towing stuff like with the truck in the example abbove) an auto is nice.

9. rocknutts

rocknutts

Much like Rustrustler I'll go with an auto when the time comes. Geeze, you can actually hear the squeeks.

10. im still young... my knees arent worn out just yet... i love to shift my cars... i would go with a manual, they are too much fun until you miss a gear or 12 :)

11. 38pickup

38pickup

I have an auto in my hot rod truck. Yes its a built race automatic and will lock in any gear you trow it in. and In traffic I am glad I have the auto. I say do what you want to do, it's your car. My .02 cents.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

No matter how old you are it's quite possible that your opinion will change over time.

In the 60s 4 spds were a must.

In the 70s the 350 turbo and bracket racing changed everyones mind.

I've gone full circle. I love the uniqueness of 3 on a tree (especially with OD.). There is something about winding it up a little in second, letting off and keeping your hand up there that makes driving fun, especially with loud pipes!:D

I don't want a computer adjusting my timing or a transmission determining what gear I'm in. I love the coordinated dance of the feet and arms that comes with shifting gears. I feel like I'm actually controlling the vehicle instead of just being along for the ride.

Going to the grocery store, I don't want any lights while driving my automatic truck but if I'm tooling around in my hot rod, a stop light means I get to go through the gears again.:D That's fun for me.

13. What is truly traditional is doing what you want with your own stuff without asking permission.

14. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

16. NJVadala

NJVadala

Do what you gotta do. I don't seen anything wrong with an automatic trans in a hot rod...it would make it a nice cruiser.

(check the signature :D )

17. Tony

Tony

I prefer manual's. Most of what i build has had three pedal's.
    BUT, i had a 33 Ford pick up with a turbo 400, and currently have a 52 chevy truck with a built glide and i can say that having the auto's in both is nice. The 33 was one of the best all around driver's i've had, and the 52 will be a daily that will also tow trailer's etc.. so it will be a little more forgiving with the auto (it will be switched to a 700R4 this winter)..
    I still like stick's more, but an auto dosn't make it any less of a hot rod as far as i'm concerned..of course, that's only my opinion :)

Tony

18. Paul Y

Paul Y

I prefer a manual transmission simply because I enjoy the control and connection it gives me. Yup, could be faster with an auto but that is not the point.

What is it that you want to drive??

P.

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

"I'm not baggin on the original question, because it was meant to stimulate discussion."
    Tommy re read that line in my original post, I happen to understand the difference between discussion and seeking how to do something.
    I was following up the thought that we get hung up at times on what is right or wrong vs what you want to do regardless.
    Again, I know this is a discussion, and I have a glide in my 36, cause that was what was in it.

20. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

i love my cast 3 speed in my truck,it was really awsome when it still had the mr gasket shifter that made you hunt down the gears lol

21. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I'd love to have a manual in both my hot rods....but i dont have the room. I think this is one of the big reasons some of us run automatics. When you run a heavy chop and channel, with the engine up in the chassis, your trans-tunnel starts taking over your interior. I literally dont have room for the side-loader linkage or a third pedal. Also, putting a manual behind some engines is an absoulte nightmare to find the correct parts for.
    I run c4 automatics in both my cars, they're of of the smallest case sizes ever built, rob very little power (compared to a c6), and can be built to handle over 1000 horse.
    Dont get me wrong, I'd rather be slamming through a four speed, but its just not feasible.

22. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

manuals.. rarely do I have an automatic in any car unless I just can't get anything else. I think it is more fun, you have more control, and you have more options when it comes to slowing down the car, accelerating..etc. etc. 4out of my 5 have manuals.

23. zzford

zzford

I recently pulled my Muncie out of my coupe to replace it with a 700R4. I do miss pulling through the gears with the 4 speed. My bad knees don't miss it at all, esp. in stop and go traffic. All and all, I think it was a worthwhile conversion. The car doesn't seem to be quite as fast with the 700. I guess if the car wasn't going to be driven in heavier traffic frequently, I'd prefer the stick.

24. Traffic? What traffic? As long as I stay the hell out of Houston at rush hour!

25. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

YES THEY DO

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks for all the great comments and opinions. Mainly the reason I was throwing out the topic is that I had pretty much assumed manuals for my projects and being all old heavy duty kind of trucks, that makes a bit sense. But, I see a lot of really nice rides with auto, including trucks, and I was sort of wondering if I was missing something I wasn't considering or thinking about. For me, space isn't a problem and fortunately I still have no problems with my legs or knees (that's coming next year probably). For my project, having the floor shift manual still seems like the best for me. An auto in a 1-ton 50's pickup just doesn't seem right. My current setup is the 392 hemi with a NV4500 which is fully sync. a 5 sp O/D. I can't wait to get this thing together enough to have it on the road and run through the gears a few times.

Actually, if I had a custom verses a hot rod, I would probably go with an auto. For a hot rod, I would probably go with a manual even though in a lot of cases a good auto could perform better than the manual.

Regardless, I definitely agree that people should be able to do what they want with their own cars without other bashing them, including billet wheels, crazy paint and all that kind of stuff. Some of it may not be what I would do, but I don't let that bother me personally. Do what you want, enjoy it and be happy - do something different next time if you want.

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ya put a NV4500 behind a 392? Who made your adapter?

28. Ole don

Ole don

You cant be serious. The traditional rods were built before automatic transmissions were available in anything other than Packards, Cadilacs, and Buicks.

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I got the remanufactured and upgraded trans. from Advance Adaptors along with thier custom Chevy style bellhousing and flywheel and clutch parts. I then sent that to Wilcap ( http://www.wilcap.com/ ) and they set me up with a slightly modified 392-Chevy man. plate, input shaft bushing and mini mopar starter (which goes on the pass side). Not that thrilled about the look of the mini starters, too new looking, but Wilcap recommended it and I went with it, but they did say they could do it on either side and probably for a stock starter too if you wanted. I just didn't think enough about the starter at the time and now maybe regret it just a little. Wilcap modified their plate for me to have "ears" on both sides that I can use as a torque plate to tie back into the frame. At the moment, I just have the trans/bellhousing/mock-up block bolted together and sitting in the frame - no clutch parts in. That part all bolted up fine so far.

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

on second thought, I think I actually got the flywheel and clutch parts from Wilcap too, not Advance Adaptors.

I still need to figure out the clutch mech. and might go with a hydralic throwout bearing unless others recommend against it - anyone with any thoughts on that? I have heard a few pros and cons, but so far most suggest the hydraulic throw bearing should work fine.