Register now to get rid of these ads!

red oxide...need pics and I have a question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Oct 19, 2007.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I am thinking of putting my 55 chevy truck in a red oxide primer...

1st...do any of you have pics of any trucks in a red oxide?

2nd...I do not know much about paint but I do know that primer fades fast in the bakersfield summers. Can it be clear coated to protect it and to keep moisture out? primer does not keep moisture out right?

I am thinking of going with red oxide body, black steel wheels and blackwall tires.

On the inside I want to go with red oxide and black tuck and roll on the seat and black carpet.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I'd at least put a coat of primer-sealer on 1st to protect the steel from the moisture the red oxide will let through. As far as clear coat, try a small test panel to see if it gives ya what ya want.

3. GrantH

GrantH

You may be able to get epoxy primer tinted to be "red oxide". If you have a panel or something close to the color you want the paint shop/body shop whatever can mix something for you i'm sure. If it's going to see the elements, I wouldn't hit it with anything but epoxy primer/sealer.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

You should really shy away from using primer as a finish coat. These days, you can get the same "look" with enamel paint. For example, I just finished painting my '33 Ford truck cab with flat brown Rustoleum rattle can enamel. Although this is certainly far from an optimum paint job, it will protect the body & last longer than moisture absorbing primer. I painted the whole cab for $25.00

5. Clark

Clark

Not a truck but red oxide with balck wheels and blackwalls.

I used DP74 doctored with some black DP90. The DP is an epoxy primer and should keep moisture out.

Now if the truck is gonna sit outside every day The sun will cause the primer to "chalk" and may loose it's ability to keep moisture out. At the most you may have to redo the primer after about 2 years.
    Clark

Attached Files:

6. I go pogo

I go pogo

epoxie is the way to go. they have additives that will make the finish as flat as you want. It's what I intend to do when I finish the body work. Pogo

Attached Files:

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My F100 may give you some idea.

Attached Files:

8. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

here is a truck red oxide with black rims and blackwalls,...

red oxide enamel doctored up with some flat black enamel.

[​IMG]

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I really like the red oxide doctored up with black.

How would I order that % wise or is it something that you guys just hand mixed yourself?

10. Nimrod

Nimrod

My '57

Attached Files:

11. 53chevy

53chevy

Nice truck Nimrod! What's the story on lowering it?

Ken

12. David Totten

David Totten

I use red oxide urathane and add flatting agent to the look I want . Yu can tint it with black to the shade yu want and yu will have no problems. will last as long as any shinny paint.

13. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Somewhere on here there is a show that had a 48-49 Ford pick-up with a real light tinted red-oxide...I think it looks better the further it gets from brown.

14. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I just sprayed a bike with Hot Rod Flatz red oxide urethane. Sprayed nice, consistent semi gloss and not to bad on the wallet. The kit comes with everthing you need down to stir sticks!!!.

15. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Sweet!

16. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

Make sure you use an epoxy primer, it can be used as a finish coat as sprayed. Yoyr regular primers are porous and let moisture seep through. Good luck.........

17. TV

TV

My son has red oxide on his 32 Roadster(HotRodVon) we used the first stage of 2 stage paint and had it mixed to match red primer semi flat. It has been on for almost 4 years and still looks very good. Some other well known guys have followed our lead and like it also. Taft, I usta live there in the late 60's There were some fast and good looking cars when I lived there.--TV

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  18. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Here is my version of red oxide. Omni with a flatner.

[​IMG]

19. Tremclad and foam roller...........

Attached Files:

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You guys are answering a dudes question from 2 years ago...

21. I used to just put a glug of clear mixed in with the primer. Seemed to seal it and uv protect abit as well.Gave a slight sheen thou but looked good.