Register now to get rid of these ads!

Couldn't wait to share - might have struck gold.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tinmann

tinmann

Yep, that's what I would do too. Set of torches, collapsable crane for loading, wrenches, cold beverages and beef jerky and 10 to 12 hours later you'd be heading for home with enough good parts to have the front wheels of your truck in the air.

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was talking to my friend, and it turns out he has a tractor that he said he could help me with, but 50 yards seems to be as close as we can get without deforestation. I still haven't seen these in person, so I don't know the lay of the land, but I think regardless, I'm going to have to get that Desoto on it's hubs before I can safely pull that Hemi.
    Man, I hope this works out. The latest license plate he could see was from 62, so those girls have been out there for a while.
    You know, I was trying to figure out how to pull this off before the snow falls, but if I can get up there before the snow falls to do a little prep work (righting the car, taking off the grille, removing all the motor mounts, drive shaft, etc) then pulling the motor on an improvised sled once there is some actual snow sounds damn near genius.
    Thanks agian.

3. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

REMEMBER..LEFT HAND STUDS ON THE LEFT SIDE..........and get it frickin all............and the bolt pattern should be the same as Ford...4.5 on 5.

Good luck
    M.

oops...........should have read the backside.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

1949 only. Trim below the taillight is different 48-49.

5. Be very careful working on a car up on its side especially if you start pushing around on it to get the grill.

6. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

Might be some critters living in or under that stuff. Watch out for them.

7. Thumper

Thumper

Yeah.........no shit..... watch out for them long skinny fellers :eek: !

8. Wait until it snows a little bit, and drop it out and roll it into a kid's plastic snow-sled. Then you can skid it out if there's enough of a trail to it. We moved a Pontiac 455 that way with all the goodies on it, and I did the same thing to move a 56 Pontiac motor less crank around my house in November. When we did the Pontiac engine I used the snowblower to make a trail, because it was all over lawn - no damage to the grass at all.

Take the grille, too, it's worth $400 and up depending on how pitted it is. I would have been holy shit at that and not even worried about the motor in the car... Would pay for you to buy the 1200-watt generator and a brand new Sawzall to cut that thing up, no problem. (why 1200 watt? They weigh like 50 lbs, easy to move around).

The frame crossmember in the F1 pickup is also rod material; the brakes and stuff if anything is left of them. I cut an F1 crossmember out of a truck with a grinder and sawzall last summer -

Plymouths never came with a Hemi factory until the mid-60s. Worth a look, you never know, but not likely.

9. MILL-RAT

MILL-RAT

Pinch yourself to make sure your not dreamin. Hope it all works out for ya tho!

10. 5 on 4.5

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Can you stretch a garden house from the house to the cars? If you've got the necessary fire prevention- Take a torch, sawzall & generator, 2 buddies, and a winch. Don't forget a shovel, some long pipe to use as prybars or rollers, a high-lift offroaders jack, hedge clippers, limb loppers, and a bowsaw. Cut em into chunks and take the chunks. Eaiser to load, and you can pack more onto each load. Use mangled hoods as small parts sleds. The 4x4 is a great idea to get em out of the woods, but you still gotta get em on the trailer.

The homeowners may be more inclined to let you tear up the yard if you're removing the eyesores instead of cherry picking and leaving the rest. With the price of steel, those mangled chunks will cover expenses.

12. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Need help? Shoot me a PM. We are an hour southeast of you. (I understand, If you feel a blindfold is needed)...

tc

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

HAHA!! I appreciate the offer - I gotta figure out if the deal even goes through, and I definitely need to get up there to see this all for myself and plan my strategy for mass extrication.
    I'll let you know, although this is in the "County" which is 3.5 hours for me ... 4.5 hours for you.
    Depending on how this plays out, if I can't pull this off this fall, I might be looking at the Spring. You know how much snow they get in the County.
    Thanks again though.

14. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Nice find. Hope everything works out for ya!!

15. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Talking about the license plates, get them, too! States are allowing the use of old plates again in some locations.

Dave

16. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

the best way to get it all out is to call me and tell me where it is and I promise as long as you sleep at night I'll find a way. And when you wake up all refreshed from the beauty sleep you will say"now damn that WAS easy".

17. It looks like there is more than one DeSoto there. Get yourself a front end loader with forks and a flatbed trailer and abate this attractive nuisance.
    You will be a hero.

18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

almost looks like a `55-`56 Ford Tudor in that twisted mess somewhere....

19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Check the '46 Pontiac for a turn signal switch or banjo steering wheel core ... the '47-'53 Chev truck acc'y hood ornament used to go for $50 up years ago ... the Chevy 4 door was a '53 210, check for 1 piece bumper cores ... any of the MoPar cars have standard transmissions ?

20. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Nice find. Where in the sticks are you?

21. Beverly

Beverly
    from Boise, ID

I believe it's 5 on 4 1/2, since I have a 54 Firedome... Also, I think they're bolts, not lugs. I'm not sure, since I havent gotten that far yet, still working on my drive train. Anyway, hope that helps! :)

22. Beverly

Beverly
    from Boise, ID

P.S. If it's a hemi you're a lucky S.O.B.! I just about shit my pants when I saw the Firedome logo on the side of my car that first day in the junk yard. I opened the hood to find an inline 6 with rust on the dipstick and a carb stuck open with all kinds of dirt inside. It's my very first car, and my very first motor transplant coming soon!:) A hemi would be soooo cool! Good luck, hope it's the original Firedome!

23. Gigantor

Gigantor

UPDATE!!! I JUST found out from my friend that I have been told to "Help Myself" to whatever I want out there!!! Aggghhhh!!!!

Wish me luck.

24. I'm not sure whether to say "Ya lucky bastard!", or, just "You bastard!" :D

Get the Hemi, grille, bumpers, & some small shit (like Lux' requests) on the first day (looong day, most likely)...the rest can wait until spring. No sense in killing yourself.

25. Gigantor

Gigantor

Word on that Homespun.

26. Squablow

Squablow

This white one is a '59 Plymouth.

If you strip out the DeSoto, I'd be interested in the front bumper with the bumper pan and brackets.

27. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Wow! Nice find. Personally, I'd take everything to help clean it up. All that trim, and other bits are worth getting, not just the "hot rod" stuff.

Oh, and if you find any old punch top or cone top beer cans in that pile let me know as I'd give you some $ for those.

28. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Wow, what a score. Last time I was in any kind of "woods" around here, all I found were some abandoned illegal alien camps. :D

Good luck pulling it out!

29. 55olds88

55olds88

cut or unbolt the engine and slide it out with a winch or whatever (hell even a block and tackle round a tree...) on an old hood seems to be a couple of takers there.

30. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lucky mainer you!!!!!!!!!