Register now to get rid of these ads!

a Young rodder in need? 59 Olds in Ga.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Oct 18, 2007.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Ok, a kid named Will just got his first old car yesterday a 59 Olds Dynamic 88 4dr.She is a little rough around the edges but all he could afford being a full time student and holding down a part time job. and he drove it home and is pumped.It needs door panels headliner drivers door glass and rear passenger glass, any 15" hubcaps anybody has lyin around,or anything else you got your not usin that could help him out would be aprreciated From stickers to lakepipes!I believe he is leaning in the mild custom direction eventually and he is into his ride.Also anyone local that has a skill that could donate some labor would also be great .He needs floors, body ,paint ,pinstriping, etc.
    I don't have to tell anybody that has been there before but he is strapped for cash and I will be helping him along the way doing all I can for him as well.It is Important to me to be able to pass down the tradition of rods and customs as a lifestyle to keep it going and thanks to all before my generation that has passed it down to us,I am proud to be a part of this truly unique form of American heritage.
    Will is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and has no idea I am posting this and would probably be pissed! But oh well respect your elders right!Feel free to Pm with any questions or anyway you can help.Thanks fellas...gals

2. Hey, assuming the new shop space happens, if he is willing to trade labor..I can help him with sheetmetal work.

3. Where are you in GA? I'm willing to lend an extra pair of hands whenever possible.

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BTTT for Oddrod46 (having trouble finding it)

Cob

5. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

He is in the Cobb?Paulding area and would be willing to do any labor he can, he is not lazy just green but hungry to learn!we need to throw a thrash for him!

6. premium

premium
    from Goergia

yo i can help out with a few things. some painting some welding emptying some Negro Modelo bottles. all that good stuff. if you want to throw a thrash an need some space i got 68 in villa rica. hollar at me.

7. popsrods

popsrods
    from macon,ga.

i've got a set of 55 pontiac full caps with 4" bullets in the center, he can have them when he gets to that point,if someone is coming through macon going north wants to do a relay to ya that's ok. I will probably be a brads swap meet the 1st weekend in nov. and will bring them, he can get them then.keep me posted on anything else needed i don't have too much pontiac stuff but may have something he could use.
    wayne

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

If the door glass is the same as a 59 Chevy fordor, I'm pretty sure I have both pieces...

9. classicfins

classicfins

I've got a 4 door sedan '59 Olds 98 that I am converting into a two door El Camino so I will have the door glasses, a lot of 4 door trim, door panels, etc. It may be a few weeks before I can get around to pulling anything. Shoot me a list of parts and we'll go from there. Here's a pic of mine before I parked it. And the doner El Camino the roof, doors, and bed innurds, and tailgate will come from.

BTW.. Not looking to get rich; just shipping and packing costs. Or, I'm in north Louisiana if you're interested in a road trip. :)

Attached Files:

10. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Nice thing about the 59-60 GM cars is that among the same models of car (2dr HT, 4dr sedan, etc) the glass interchanges from make to make. So if he's needin a rear window he can use one out of a Chevy or something. Same deal with the weatherstripping, you can use the kit for a 59-60 Chev and it should fit.

11. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Thanks guys this is what it's all about and he will be very thankfull to each and everyone of you that have stepped up to the plate.Feel free to send him PM's directly now as he is an official H.A.M.B. member.He can better cordinate the details of what he needs from there. thanks again.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=41269

12. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

I just wanted to thank everyone personally for all of this...it makes me glad to be apart of this amazing tradition to know that people are actually willing to help one another when they can.

This weekend or early next week, I intend to go over everything to try and find of what needs to be done in terms of body. I do know that floor pans need to be replaced, the front isn't so bad, but the rear seats are, because the man who owned it before the guy I bought it front, filled in the whole dip in the floor with foam insulation, and put a piece of plywood over it, so it'd be flush with the front. The trunk isn't in great shape, and the front of the trunk lip is being eaten away. Also, the bottom of the front, passenger quarter panel is rusting real bad. Oh, and I know it's a very minor that (and it doesn't really bother me) but the trim that runs down the "fin" to the tail light is missing about an inch and a half, maybe two inches at the very end on the driver side, but the rest of the trim is good.

But on the plus side, the engine runs well, and if does smoke while it drives, it's not much, because I couldn't see it, and my girlfriend followed me, and she didn't see any smoke. It has new brakes, the transmission doesn't seem to slip, all of the lights work, all the doors open and close (and well, too!), and all the windows roll up and down.

And again, thanks everyone.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm not saying this just because I promote a swap meet, but come up to my 2-day show in Braselton on November 3-4. I'll let you in free when you get here.
    Swap meets are a GREAT place to get parts, tools, etc., but what I've ALWAYS liked about them is that they're a great place to network, talk to guys and see what they have at their shop, or where they've seen parts cars, junk yard gems, etc.
    Chances are you won't find much at a small swap meet for your car, but you could get leads on a lot of stuff and score it later. I've gotten a hood, original wheels and fender for my '62 Suburban by talking to guys and finding out they had the stuff behind their shop. Down in Florida, I scored a set of fiberglass doors and fender-well headers for my '57 Chevy; the guy had fenderwells for a Nova at the show, and I started talking to him. "Got a set at home..."
    Come on out and meet people. Best way in the world to get advice, help and parts.

-Brad

14. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

Awesome! I'll try and make it out there, and I'll shoot you a PM when I know something for sure.

15. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

I just wanted to post a few small pictures of my car real fast. They're small, but it's all I have right now. And one of them, the shot from the back, I circled where the rust is at it's worse in the trunk area.

16. classicfins

classicfins

Looks good! Is the rust on the deck lid and staining down onto the panel, or is the rear panel itself rusted out?

17. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

It's the read panel becoming rusted out. And throwing it out there, though I'd prefer metal, I've got no problem having to cut that away and fiberglassing it back up.

18. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

19. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

he is still looking for someone to do some sheetmetal work.The floors and trunk are the worst of it and he is willing to trade labor doing whatever kind of grunt work he can to square the deal!

20. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

When you get a location to work on it,send me a PM and I will come and help with any thing Ive got lying around.I will also make a few things as soon as I can.I make killer shifter knobs.I just need to get set up at my new job.I will weld the floors in if some one can find some flat sheet

21. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

22. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

shit i dig it. prolly drive the wheels off it too. younger kids don't seem to fetishize these cars like some of the older folks. rad, wish i could help.

23. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Anybody local have any flat sheetmetal they could contribute for some floor pan work? it would be appreciated

24. I had one of those years ago, the trunk floor is basically just flat metal. The Dynamic-88 and Super-88 parts all interchange back and forth, and under the skin a lot of '60 stuff also interchanges. Motor is the tall-deck 371, if it's original, so there's several years of interchange there (like '58-'64). With the rust on this car, examine the frame under the rear seat area (spring mounts) and make sure that doesn't need work - when I had mine I was told that was where they were rot prone.

One thing, these came stock with 14" wheels, you should be okay with 15's on it but my '60 Pontiac if you had people in the back seat it would scrub the tires on bumps. I was running 235/75R15s on it. I don't know how much different the clearance is given the Pontiac is wide-track and the Olds isn't.

I don't know if it was just my Pontiac or what, but I went through a lot of generator brushes in that car - once you get driving it, you might look into getting a spare set and keeping them in the car along with some tools. They're not hard to change out.

25. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the words of advice! I've been busy between school, work and the car.

And thanks for the info on checking under the seat, I'll check it out this weekend.

Oh, and it has a alternator in it.

26. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Let me know about what size you need. I might have something around the farm... I'll check this weekend.

27. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

He needs some pieces big enough to use to build some flloor pans,(4)thanx

28. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

Gentlemen I am ready to work for your when You are I dont have any material suitable to do floors but my offer still stands to weld in the floors(and teach him/you /everyone around).I have some 3" striaght exhaust tubing,and if need to bring my stick welder and my torch kit( I have no bottles).say when

29. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

Thanks Greg, we're still working on finding suitable metal for the floors, a friend of mine supposedly has a welder, and I'd be more then willing to learn.

30. HC Willie

HC Willie
    from Georgia

Hey guys! I have some pre-paint pictures I wanted to share, and one mid-paint picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]