Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragmaster Dragsters....Post pics here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Feb 25, 2007.

1. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Dont know if this is what you guys were looking for as far as a dragmaster trailer goes but I found this ad on racingjunk.com :

$4,500.00
    24ft enclosed trailer ,has 12volt and 110 lights inside, couple of pit pal products,new tires,alm wheels nice little trailer 4500 obo also have a 18ft dragmaster flatbed with a box and winch 1800 obo 817-846-1126

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

3. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

My wife got to try on the Moon dragster for size about a month ago.
    Always have liked the Dragmaster's myself.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  4. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I just read the article in Garage. Zorbas Ghost is incredible.
    Congrats.

5. mtm0078

mtm0078
    from Chicago IL

mmmmmm, front engine dragsters.....
    The shop I work at has an old FED with a blown nailhead from 1950's. I got some photos of it tonight, i'll get em developed and up on the thread as soon as a i can.

6. Appleseed

Appleseed

Colstrip!?! No Shit! Thats were I'm from. Wow. Got any names? My family goes there about once a year. If its a secret, please PM me. This is too cool.

7. Sorry.....I don't know any more than that. :(

It was 30 or 35 years ago.

8. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When I worked for Bob Fall's ad agency, my first client was Dragmaster as I lived in Carlsbad. They used to pay their agency bill in rolled quarters from the response to the HOT ROD and CAR CRAFT ads offering a catalog for twenty five cents. Since Jim Nelson was also the manager of Carlsbad Raceway, they too became a client.

Dragmaster built a 27 T roadster using the trademark double tube chassis as a kit it was on the cover of HOT ROD and the inquiries flow in! After Kent Fuller did a 23 T roadster with VW power for R&C, Dode did a 23 T using VW power for his personal use. I got one of the T/VW double tube frames and later sold it to Bruce Crower.

Probably the Dragmaster Roadster frames are far more rare than the dragster frames.

10. Classic lines make the dragmaster instantly recognizable like the tapered front rails of the Lyndwood Welding chassis.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I talked to Jim Nelson and he told me that the original dragmasters were 96".

I asked him why so short and he told me " That's how long the exhaust tubing sticks were.".

12. ShortBus

ShortBus

From my camera.

KING- Booo. Sorry for the bad info man. I know Dode still builds them in his home shop on a limited basis.

13. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Drag Masters Phone: (760) 434-3193

14. Do you have info on these shops.

ShortBus, I didn't realize who you were until I saw the name in the photos. Do you have the info on that shop that is doing the chassis or is it a one time deal only.

Any info will be a big help.

15. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

I bought this one recently (with apologies to chopt49, I'm sorry!) and was wondering what chassis it is. Appears that w/b is 142-144"

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance to you slingshot experts!

16. 46fordgasser

46fordgasser
    from San Diego

I live down the road from Dode and spend alot of time at his shop.At 82 years old he has more energy than most young people I know.Dode is working on a new car called the trainer that me and my friends will have the opportunity to drive. Next in line he is thinking about recreating the dragliner. At chrr we ran the dragmaster lucky one car and made some really good passes.I will post some pics later

17. Think he would consider releasing the old plans?

18. brandon

brandon

pretty amazing that the chassis is pretty much unmolested.....as it still has a 3 pt cage.... get ya some ultra fine sand paper and wet sand some of the cowl ....might be some hidden info under that paint....:eek: was the car from ohio area....? judging by the wheel base....maybe around a 63-64 ish...? the picture has nothing to do with any of this post ....similiar chassis as the ohio car....but still a cool picture...louisville ky based bill (?) stebbins.....:D brandon

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. dragwillys

dragwillys

dragmaster also built 23 t frames for andy brizzo...i have one..phil

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

One of these ? Very cool!

Attached Files:

Deuces and falcongeorge like this.
  21. A4ord

A4ord

This shot of M/T's tempest looks like a dragmaster dart.Can't find any advertising for them on the car but maybe Mr Thompson didn't talk about who built the frames.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  22. What diameter tube was used for the early dragmasters?

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

It looks like 1-3/4 maybe.

24. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Just measured the Dragmaster in my garage and it is 1 1/2'' tube, the roll bar is 1 3/4''.

25. Thanks for the measurements. Been thinking about looking for a tubing bender and wondered what dies I should look for.

What kind of radius do the top an back hoops have? How wide is the chassis?

26. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

The back hoops are manderl bent it is 19" inside. Mark Williams sells round back hoops if you ask for them. About $165 each.

unclescooby likes this.
  27. Regarding the right-side steering: Al Vander Woude (The Flying Dutchman, RIP) believed that the engine torque would twist the chassis enough to bind the steering if it was on the left side, so he built his chassis' with the steering on the right. Seeing as how he spent most of his time going sideways, especially in the Charger III car, I'm not sure I believed him, but he sure was, um, adamant about it when I asked him!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California