Register now to get rid of these ads!

CV shaft as a driveshaft? Can it be done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorksrock, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dorksrock

dorksrock

The other day I was looking at my t bucket project, and thought to myself, a CV shaft for the driveshaft might be really a slick setup. I know its not tradional, but would it work? has anyone done it?

Jordan

2. Notorious

Notorious

I don't know about that, I never considered it. But here's a possibility for you, a C4 Corvette drive shaft. They're all aluminum, around 28" long (give or take) from U-joint center to center. There are two versions and the only difference is that the manual shift cars had a shaft about 1" shorter and used a different tranny yoke. I've got an automatic one in the garage if you need an exact measurement. Of course they could be easily shortened if needed for a specific application. The automatic ones especially are available cheap used. This is because many with automatic C4s (like me :D ) have swapped in the heavier duty D44 rear end from a manual car. This requires using the slightly shorter shaft from a manual car too.

3. dorksrock

dorksrock

yeah, I would need to shorten it down to about a 13" length. is there enough length to do that on one of those corvette driveshafts?

Thanks!
    Jordan

4. 56savoy

56savoy
    from socal

Ford uses a cv joint on the new mustang drive shafts.

5. Notorious

Notorious

Gee, I don't know. Just how much length is required to shorten something? :rolleyes:

6. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

CV Front driveshafts in 4X4's are common
    The Ford Exploder if I remember, some had a u-joint in front and a CV to the Xfer Case.

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Some drive shafts have a rubber dampner in them, about 6"-8" from each end. Makes shortening them a bitch. Gene

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ford Bronco IIs use CV joint driveshafts, at least in the late 80s.

9. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

My 64 caddy I drive every day has 2 of them in the shaft.

10. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Alright, another Douchebag contributing nothing to a thread, but a smartass comment!

To help with the question posed. Off roaders use this method quite often for their high misalignment benefits.

11. mustangsix

mustangsix

A CV joint like the ones used for FWD and IRS RWD axles could certainly handle the power, but there may be a problem with the those type of boots when you spin them that fast. When you use one attached directly to a wheel as an axle, it's only turning 700-1000 rpm at cruise, depending on tire size, but as a driveshaft it could be spinning four times as fast. There may be a difference in boot design between the axle and the driveshaft applications.

12. Ya all fergot one real strong shaft.
    Olds Tornanado. Tommy IVO already gave them the torture test!
    D

13. Bugman

Bugman

My '55 Plymouth(and most other early Mopars) use Ball and Trunion style U-joints, which are basically a simpler form of CV joint.