Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first car 25 year later...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Oct 11, 2007.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It struck me today when my dad put the black '56 Chevy in the shop today that it was nearly 25 years ago that he bought it for $1,000- to be my first car. It was a one-owner car that belonged to a friends mom. It was arrow straight and the orig. 6 cyl. ran like a watch. For years we were never interested in it because it was a 6cyl. 210 and we were looking for a Bel Air with a V-8. Well I had it probably all of one week when I cam home and found it totally disassembled and my dad told me- "I decided it's too nice for you- I'm gonna fix it up". I was heart broke- but it got repainted (same $300- spray job still on it!) and new upholstery and chrome. I still don't think my dad has even $4,000 in the car- but kinda glad he kept it because I would have wrecked and or sold it a LONGGGGG time ago.

Attached Files:

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very sharp, Jim. I like the redlines, that's not a look you see often enough. Does it still have the six?

-Dave

3. 39Tudor

39Tudor

Your dad was a very wise man!

JO

4. 270283

Dad interested in doubling his money? Just thought I'd ask.:D

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah- it has the same six- now with all the Offenhauser dress-up (2x2, valve cover & side plate) and Fenton headers with dual exhaust. Del Ray upholstery inside- everything totally stock.

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Doubly cool, then. Even better if it's got a three-on-the-tree.

-Dave

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It does. My dad says its WAYYYY quicker off the line than his stock '55 Nomad with a 265/glide. He drives this one way more than the Nomad. And he's most proud that in 25 years he has never washed the car- just dry cleans them everytime he takes them out. This one never had a pinhole of rust- and NO body work before they sprayed the paint.

8. sololobo

sololobo

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Jim, what a neat deal, the paint and all looks great!!Dads get smarter as we get older! Huh!!We didn't understand when we were pups!! I would prefer that over a BelAir any day. Hope the store is busy!!--A fan of your endevours--,Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Your dad was right...it IS too nice for you!! ;) :p :D

Very cool car...you don't see many two door tri-fives with sixes still in 'em for sure!!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking ride. Those '55-'57 Chevies are timeless. It's cool he kept the six. As was stated, you don't see that to often. Says a lot for that motor.

11. Tony

Tony

VERY NICE!
    Love the red line's...and keeping the stick 6 was a GREAT choice!

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah, one of the most reliable cars he has- never had one days trouble with this car.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

wow! Thats some car! Heck of a story with it too!
    There's nothing on it I would change, except the name on the title.
    I'll PM you if I win the lottery this weekend!

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Funny thing- you could stack a pretty tall amount of money and my dad would never sell this car. They mean a lot more than money to us- and that's a good thing. ;)

15. Nailhead

Nailhead

Nice Chev ! So if that one was to nice for you, what did you end up getting instead ?

16. Joe King

Joe King

Hey Jim, I meet you and your dad when you were up here in WA delivering a car and stuff to a friend. Thinking about it, I come to the conclusion that I don't like your dad, unless he wants to adopt me then I will love him for ever!

Oh ya nice car

17. Knew a guy in high school that drove a '56 210 tudor w/ 265 and a 3speed on the floor, after a couple years he traded the mags off it for a little Honda, his dad put some other wheels on it and repo'ed it! It was too nice for that dumn-ass!

18. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a great car.

19. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Nice car.
    What'd you end up with as your 'second' first car????

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Kewl story and i too dig the red lines and that paint looks like it has held up well. Just think what it will be in another 25 years

21. Scotch

Scotch

That's funny! My Dad and I decided a '58 Impala would be a great first car for me back in '82 or so. I was 14 and itching for a musclecar, but my Dad's first car was a '58 Impala, and when we saw one for sale on the roadside nearby, it was pretty much a done deal.

It was a 348 4-bbl with a Turboglide trans, and it needed some work. But, it ran nice and looked okay. So, I got to working on it...

Fast forward a couple years, and it's got a cheapo paint job and I've learned the intricacies of transmission removal and replacement after the T-glide got a rebuild. My time behind the wheel is severely limited, but I did get to drive it to the senior prom...

Then, I join the Air Force and leave home. I tell Dad I'll come back for the car, but I find a cherry '69 Charger R/T in California and get to work making it go fast.

Dad "repo's" the Impala and starts taking it to local cruises and shows. It's his now...

So, I still kinda have my first car. I worked on it plenty and even drove it some, but it's Dad's car now.

He says not to worry...I'll get it back when he dies. He's a positive thinker like that...

Now the 348 has a tri-power, the paint job is much better, and there's a continental kit out back. He made it the way he always wanted his first car to be, and that's pretty damn cool.

Dad's are funny sometimes- especially when their hot rodding sons are itching for their first car!

~Scotch~

22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'm diggin it! A look you dont see too often !

23. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

A '57 Ford Country Squire wagon my grandpa bought in 1966. Loved that car too and was storing it while I was away in the Air Force. My mom decided it would be good to let my uncle use it and he wrecked it. I was young with no where to store it and it got scrapped. I still can't believe I let that happen- it was saveable, now I REALLY feel sad that it's gone now that my grandpa is gone too.

24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I love that car!
    A 6 is soooooo much cooler than a V8.
    Jim , that was the car on the lift when we where there?
    Michael