Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power Steering Question (Ford)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little_E, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Little_E

Little_E

I have a 58 Edsel Pacer w/ power steering, but the control valve leaks all over the place. It seems to be a slow leak in that the car didn't move for a month and there was a large puddle. I've had all of the lines replaced already. Is there a work around to fixing this problem without buying a new control valve? I seem to recall seeing the valve listed in either Dennis Carpenter or Mac's Antique Autoparts for around $300 . . . I assume the same control valve was used on all fords of the time, does anyone know how far forward or back in years I can look for the same part? Or does anyone have a source of rebuilt valves, I searched the threads for info and saw that rebuilts weren't very dependable, but for my budget it may be worth a shot.

I appreciate any help anyone can lend to me on this matter!

Scott

2. flatheadjohn

flatheadjohn
    BANNED

I believe most Fords up through about 1969 use that ram type of power steering, I know for a fact that the Ford Mustangs did use them up through 1972. I believe they are all about the same but I'm not positive. It's a Bendix power steering system, also you may be able to buy a kit to rebuild it so check with the larger parts houses like NAPA, etc not the fast auto parts stores like Auto Zone.

3. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Good luck,the new or rebuilt ones usually leak as well.

One thing I have found is,that they will not leak,or leak as bad ,
    if you use the proper power steering fluid or compatible hydraulic fluid.

DON'T use ATF,as that is usually when the "gushers" start.

4. I removed all of the steering assembly from a 58 Edsel that ended up being crushed. The control valve exactly matched that of my son's 59 T-bird. We put the Edsel control valve on his Bird. The length of the cross steering shafts were different but the control valves were totally the same.

Check out availability of Square Bird valves

5. They differ slightly from year to year. I know in '67 Mustangs had two different ones but the only difference was the pipe size for the pressure hoses. Otherwise If they actually bolt on they wil work. Personally I hate them. I'll be looking at a homebrewed R&P for my '64 when I get into it.

6. Little_E

Little_E

Excellent information, I have been using a Type F auto trans fluid. What is it that I should use, my manual doesn't really state what the fluid is if I remember, or maybe I just didn't look and just did what people told me to do (that's a definite possibility). Thanks for the help

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

They can be rebuilt - look in Hemmings for rebuilders.

8. squirrel

squirrel

if you're going to leave it sitting, put a drain pan under the valve.

Drive the car on a regular basis, and don't ever steer it with the engine off.

You could waste the rest of your life trying to get it to never leak.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

X2

The couple that I've dealt with leaked a little, even after installing a couple control valve rebuild kits and new hoses. I just learned to live with it and check the PS fluid level occasionally.

Malcolm

10. had one rebuilt in los angeles for about 100 bucks years back, never leaked again