Register now to get rid of these ads!

name that rear.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolerthanethan, Oct 9, 2007.

1. coolerthanethan

coolerthanethan
    from Miami, FL

tried searching but nothing concrete came up, maybe it was me. trying to i.d the ford rear on my 54 chevy truck. from what i've been able to find so far i think its a 7.5" but i need to know from what car/truck so i can buy brakes, and bearings at the parts store. i also noticed it has a fiberglass cover. these are the numbers i got off it:

RF-E5GW-8A

S657A

3L45758H29

and here is a pic:

[​IMG]

if anyone has any links to a site with ford rear end id info that would be great too!!!

tks!

<o>:p> </o>:p>

2. BtDt

BtDt

wow ..a plastic cover..wtf? id scrap the dam thing and go buy a chevy rear end for your chevy and be done with it..plastic cover and all..what kind of "better idea" was that

3. BtDt

BtDt

oh sorry if i would have to guess i would say it must have come off of some thing cheap that ford made to have a plastic cover...maybe an asto van?..

4. T-Roy

T-Roy

Late model 8.8 Ford, maybe? The numbers you posted look like Ford part numbers.

-Troy

5. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Uh, Astro van was a chevy:rolleyes:

6. T-Roy

T-Roy

Yeah, maybe he was thinkin' Aerostar.... I can't believe I just talked about a mini-van on the HAMB, or anywhere for that matter. :eek:

-Troy

7. I think it may be some kind of small Dana axle out of a Jeep wrangler or newer cherokee. I have seen them with plastic covers.

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I won't tell anybody if you don't;) :eek: Too late!!

9. BtDt

BtDt

oops yep i ment aerostar..ford..dam it must be too late for me to hang with you guys..did jeep really put plastic covers on their diffs?..Why? i thought jeeps were supposed to be made tuff for off road..one cold night back in the woods ..back up on a rock and blamo ..90 weight as a blood trail?

10. krooser

krooser

11. krooser

krooser

12. T-Roy

T-Roy

13. squirrel

squirrel

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

15. coolerthanethan

coolerthanethan
    from Miami, FL

tks alot to both of you guys exactly what i needed. looks like i got a 88 ford ranger or bronco II rear. nice to know i got a l/s with 3.45's as well thought it might have been a much lower gear

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

E5GW indicates:
    E-1980s
    5-1985
    GW---probably truck of some kind

17. Bronco II, ranger and Aerostar all shared the 7.5 and some of the same axles. The brakes should be the same between them as well. Up to 1990 I think. The back cover is fiberglass and not plastic.