Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc chop week 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, May 3, 2004.

1. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

As promised. We start to put the roof back on. Reliefs cut in the 'A' pillars, a lil' grinding to make things line up, and crappy tack welds. And pull out of garage to see profile. Big thanks to Road Apple for all the help and photos. You rule Bro!! And to Lownslow, Mike and Chevy for hanging out. The rear backlight next week. Photos to come. -stick

Attached Files:

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Grind and weld. Grind and weld.

Attached Files:

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

More grinding. Lownslow in bkgrnd.

Attached Files:

4. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Rear pillars.

Attached Files:

5. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Pull her out.

Attached Files:

6. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

A 3/4 shot. Rear window next. Say a prayer this is where it gets scary. Pics to come. Have a good week. -stick

Attached Files:

7. Wow! Not only is the car nice, It looks great chopped. I'm convinced that all Mercs of this vintage are better looking chopped.

Thanks for making this a informative tech. Thanks again for sharing.

Joel [​IMG]

8. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow! Not only is the car nice, It looks great chopped. I'm convinced that all Mercs of this vintage are better looking chopped.

Thanks for making this a informative tech. Thanks again for sharing.

Joel [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not an informative tech post, those are just pictures my friend. There is a lot more to chopping a top than that. Yes, I have been there. [​IMG]

9. tred

tred

you should do a tech post on your chop. i know it's been done before, but i can assume most HAMBers, like myself, would love to see another one, especially on such a good lookin' chop.

tred.

10. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

[ QUOTE ]
    thats not an informative tech post, those are just pictures my friend. There is a lot more to chopping a top than that. Yes, I have been there. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry. I never posted it to be a tech post. Just sharing an experience. I know how involved a chop is and would never try and fool anyone into thinking it's easy, it isn't. Do you have any tips? I love rods and customs and try and do all of my own work. I just wanna pass the fun on to anyone interested. -stick

11. lownslow

lownslow

eddie,
    it was cool to come by and see it in the works.....you are well on your way my friend........chevy had fun too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

''thats not an informative tech post, those are just pictures my friend. There is a lot more to chopping a top than that. Yes, I have been there. ''

whatever chop50, keep your stupid comments to yourself. it wasn't meant to be a tech post ....maybe since you are so bad ass you could post a tech thread.........

12. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Don't apologize Stick. There's nothing wrong with letting people know (and see) WTF you're working on. I've learned a ton the past couple weeks and expect to keep learning until this beee-atch is done. Many thanks in advance. We can go through all the pics and what not later and do a Tech Post then.

13. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

That looks really wicked i really admire people who are able to do such things, i only wish i had the brains and brawn to do such things.

Daisyduke [​IMG]

14. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hey Daisyduke, it doesn't take much brawn this is Roadapple's friend Selena taking a whack with the hacksaw. And as far as brains go... I might be a lil' slim in that dept. too. This is the first I've ever tried anything like this. Thanks for the encouragement. -stick

Attached Files:

15. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

WHOA! Is there ANYTHING hotter than a chick with a HACKSAW??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Well, maybe a NAKED chick with a hacksaw and a beer! [​IMG])

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? [​IMG] I realize now it's not a play by play tech post. I also realize chopping a car/truck is very involved. I've been around a few chops in the past myself. I guess I used the wrong word.

I will have to counter that I really liked the car and I did learn a few things looking at what I thought were some cool and informative photos.

I'm looking forward to what seems to be the beginnings of a great ride.

Joel

17. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I'm osefessb wiping sbbnyfm the tnmntdtdn drool dnytnmn off my tdnnnnnnnnl;l keyboard tymmmiyuyr as kiuwfretnht I sstroiytdsyt type... [​IMG]

18. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry. I never posted it to be a tech post. Just sharing an experience. I know how involved a chop is and would never try and fool anyone into thinking it's easy, it isn't. Do you have any tips? I love rods and customs and try and do all of my own work. I just wanna pass the fun on to anyone interested. -stick

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey bumpstick, I did not mean the quote in response to you. I meant it in response to the person that said that it was a good tech post. Sof ar, everything looks really clean. I chopped a 1950 Ford tudor sedan 6.5 inches in the fron and 8 in the rear with a 1 inch decrown starting 9 inches back from the b pillar. I also extended the roof 14 inches and layed the rear window down 11 inches, rather than moving it forward with the roof. It is a lot more work leaving the window in its stock location and laying down rather than moving it up with the roof, but you achieve a much better profile in the end. Also, when you make the pie cut above the driprail, ( I made mine 3 inches above the driprail, starting 9 inches back from the b pillar) you will decrown the roof 1 inch between the c pillars, which will eliminate the boxy look of the roof when viewed from behind, as well as the rear 3/4 views. I have pictures, and when I get home from school I will email them to you. I do not know how to post them. Maybe you could post them for me? I am in Temecula, CA. If you have any questions, feel free to call me Robbis @ (909)303-1969.

I am not trying to come off as a know-it all, but I think I have a few good tips that will make for a better roofline when done. Things I learned along the way.

Kinda funny, but every mag article I have seen cuts out the window corners for angles pillars, but when I angled mine, I saved all the corners by cutting them out square first, and then trimming them into a "C" shape, then pie-cutting them and popping them back into the roof while creating a cardboard templet to make sure they all matched.

I will try and get some pics gathered up and posted. [​IMG]

19. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey bumpstick, I did not mean the quote in response to you. I meant it in response to the person that said that it was a good tech post. Sof ar, everything looks really clean. I chopped a 1950 Ford tudor sedan 6.5 inches in the fron and 8 in the rear with a 1 inch decrown starting 9 inches back from the b pillar. I also extended the roof 14 inches and layed the rear window down 11 inches, rather than moving it forward with the roof. It is a lot more work leaving the window in its stock location and laying down rather than moving it up with the roof, but you achieve a much better profile in the end. Also, when you make the pie cut above the driprail, ( I made mine 3 inches above the driprail, starting 9 inches back from the b pillar) you will decrown the roof 1 inch between the c pillars, which will eliminate the boxy look of the roof when viewed from behind, as well as the rear 3/4 views. I have pictures, and when I get home from school I will email them to you. I do not know how to post them. Maybe you could post them for me? I am in Temecula, CA. If you have any questions, feel free to call me Robbis @ (909)303-1969.

I am not trying to come off as a know-it all, but I think I have a few good tips that will make for a better roofline when done. Things I learned along the way.

Kinda funny, but every mag article I have seen cuts out the window corners for angles pillars, but when I angled mine, I saved all the corners by cutting them out square first, and then trimming them into a "C" shape, then pie-cutting them and popping them back into the roof while creating a cardboard templet to make sure they all matched.

I will try and get some pics gathered up and posted. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    sorry about the spelling errors. Once again, I did not intend to sound rude to anyone. [​IMG]

20. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hey there Chopt50, Didn't think you were raggin'. Just friends defending my honor. That sounds like a radical chop. I wanna' see pics. Email me I'll post em'. -stick P.S. Are you taking it to Paso?

21. 53_210

53_210

Blah blah blah, rad lookin chop. I find that some mercs look like the roof is too high after a chop, but that one looks juuuust right.

Derrick

22. Josh

Josh
    from So. IL

Are you gonna keep the original back glass?

23. Looking good.
    Keep us posted on the progress.

24. Cut the bullshit guys....That looks Awesome...Can't wait to see how the rear window turns out!

Beautiful!

Cheers

MAiki

25. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I started the rear window last night. Man, do I have my work cut out for me! Just doing a lot of measuring and re-measuring. Grinding down to bare metal etc. I'll keep you posted. I'm using a 49' rear window. I just have the surround right now if anyone has the stainless and 3 piece glass set lets talk. -stick
    P.S. Please no more hot rod politics, just have fun.

26. old beet

old beet

The SS around the window is the same 49+50. I chose to use a 50 back glass, after I added up the 49 glass plus the trim and bars and the big money seal!!........OLDBEET