Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheapest way to ship an engine cross country

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 460 willy, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I need to have a 302 ford shipped from WI to NC anyone have any shippers that they can recomend. Called Yellow and also called DHL and prices varied by over $800.00(DHL was $1200)

2. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

try contacting ups-scs.com

they are a LOT cheaper than that but we have a commercial account with them. not sure if they do retail shipping but worth a try.

3. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Don't waste your time with the other bozos....

contact: Tyler Sheff at 727-323-4500, give him the specs, and he'll get you taken care of.

FWIW: For a nearly 1000lb. Olds J2 Golden Rocket WITH d.c. Hydramatic transmission- $350.00 or so from California to Minneapolis.

Also, ask to have your stuff shipped by Saia... they have a lift dock on their trucks and they don't charge extra for it. Good luck man!!

4. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I have shipped GPX, Greyhound Package Express quite cheaply.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

What are you asking them to do? Door to door?

If you drop off at the terminal, on the pallet and ready to go, and the buyer can drive a pickup to a terminal near their house, it's like half the price of home pickup and delivery.

Be careful too, make sure the shipper actually has a terminal near the buyer. Once bought a header panel that was freighted, and had to drive 180 miles round trip to the company's (OBX?) nearest terminal.

Extreme pricing may be telling you that carrier is actually hiring another company to finish delivery because they don't serve that location.

good luck

6. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

PM BenD or Stevie G
    I'm sure one of them can haul it to NC

8. b.r.

b.r.

try freightquote.com
    if you can ship from businesses without them sending a liftgate trailor its cheaper
    i think roadway is real reasonable

9. Texan

Texan
    from Texas

I had some good luck using U-ship (www.uship.com). You put in a description, source and destination, and the companies bid for the shipment.

I had a quote from Yellow to ship a motor for me, WAY too high. I put it on Uship, got a lowball quote from a 3rd party freight broker, and the thing ended up shipping on the exact same Yellow Freight truck for 1/3 price.

10. Engine Guy

Engine Guy
    from Arizona

I found these guys off of Craigslist. They have the cheapest "No Bull" shipping rates on engines and transmissions. Every quote I've gotten, whether it has been business to business or to residential, has been the lowest every time. And they give you a quote with everything included whether you need a liftgate or not. They have told me that they can squeaze 95% of their quotes within $225 - $325. I'm shipping 2-5 engines a month and they are saving me a lot of money.

Check them out. It's free to get a quote.

www.ShipAnEngine.com

11. senior fried

senior fried

Like b.r. said freightquote.com is the way to go, they are brokers and it is also the quickest way to go, I have had good luck with them ....

12. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i second uship...got my caddy flathead (we all know how light those are :rolleyes:) shipped from near portland to salt lake for $150:D

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I used to use freightquote.com but found another broker that is even cheaper. Most engines are $200-250 using big name national carriers. Email Kevin at [email protected] and ask for a quote. I have used Tyler Scheff thru Uship.com too with good luck.

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

15. enginesdirect

enginesdirect
    from Arizona

Ship An Engine.com. We are a small reman sales outfit in Phoenix. We sell 5-10 engines/transmissions a day. We use this site exclusivly. Great customer service, no bull pricing..

Tried everyone else and no one gets close to their price or customer service!!! Seriously make life really easy when it comes to shipping

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looks like SPAM, smells like SPAM, must be SPAM... :eek:

17. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Just make sure you ins. It for value just had one get lost????? And thay only pay per pound so i got $216.00 for a 351 ford that pay pal refunded the guy $3450.00 out of my $$$$$ and im fucked out of the cash and engine !!!! And all i got from the trucking co is its gone and you will be sent a check in 30 day for $216.00 = 50 cent's a pound

rockys rod shop
    some ass hole got a free engine i hope it throws the rods out !!!!!!!!

18. Do you realize this thread is 7 years old? HRP

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^ ...and the worst part about people bringing up dead threads for no reason is the start date is right there on the main page before you click. maybe the date should be blinking in bold font.

20. indyjps

indyjps

I pay a small business down the road from me to receive packages, talked to the owner, explained what I was looking for. Take the package off thetruck with a forklift and put it inside, call me, put the package in my truck. He was cool about it, just told me to kick the forktruck driver and receiving clerk a tip. Donuts on the first delivery and the receiving clerk takes care of me.

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

I've been to 3 different SAIA docks and wouldn't ship my mother-in-law via their services. They lost about 5% of everything we shipped or expected delivery on, they were never on time...never. Their docs have rats running across the warehouse floors, they stack heavy stuff on fragile stuff...they are an economy shipper with NO concern for your items. Never, never, never... I banned them from ever pulling a truck onto our property at the dealership and told every vendor to NOT ship stuff to us via SAIA - refused anything shipped to us by any vendor. They would be my last choice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.