Register now to get rid of these ads!

Badass VW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Hey Shane,
    It was nice seeing you at the swap meet a few weeks ago. Tell the wife and little one i said hi.

2. zoomy

zoomy

Big windows and 1300 engine would make it a 1965.

I was big into VWs before hotrods. I just put a '55 dash into my 28 Tudor.

[​IMG]

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that looks good in there!

4. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

OH MY GOD!!!! That is the coolest thing I have seen on this board in a long time. Do you have any build up pics? Please post them. -stick

5. That thing is badass....nice work. Love seein the dads getting the boys/girls into it. You must be proud.... What's it powered with? Tell me it's a 40-horse......how wide/long is it?

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

wait....am I on volksrods.com???

7. The guy's showing us what he built for his kid, have some respect, wiseass....

8. brewsir

brewsir

No and if ya don't like it don't read th fucking thread.

9. As one above poster mentioned, both the Rosenstiel Roadster, and Geoff Petersens "Hebroid" were NOT made from real Hebmullers. They were both made out of cast-off parts, and crafted to look like a real Hebmuller. The metal work in both of those cars is simply outstanding.
    There is a website on airspeedparts.com that documents the "Hebroid", and it started with a VW Bug convertible dash. The rest was made with throw-away parts, that pretty much, nobody else wanted (kinda like those old Model T's and Model A's and 32 Fords that after World War 2, could be had for the price of dragging it out of the farmer's field)
    Whether you like VWs or not, you have to admit, the craftmanship is there.

10. hemi

hemi

THIS is how a bug should be:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4b84MICGZc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4b84MICGZc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. Hemi, that black car was trying out a new differential built by Quaife, and the driver of the car, the late, great, Mark Herbert, was told to try and break the trans, which you can see, he did try. Mark finally gave up, and said he was going to hurt the engine instead. That video has been around for years now, and unfortunately, Mark passed away about 2 years ago. he was also notorious for owning the "Super Shit Box" VW, which was a real "rat rod"- it was an honest piece of shit, plywood rear apron, Taco
    Bell wrappers strewn about the back, no interior, many different shades of primer, and oh yeah, it ran steet driven, street legal, low 11's. There's a video somewhere on the net of Mark in the "SSB" at Carlsbad Raceway, literally scraping some more of the wooden rear apron off the car, it literally leapt into the air, and took out the exhaust, and about 1/2 inch of the rear apron.
    That "SSB" was such a true piece of crap, that I was able to photograph it for a full-color feature in a VW Magazine, the editor told me to "think outside the box" and I thought "box.... box...BOX!!! Have I got a "box" for you, boss...!!!"

12. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

the blue bug with the retro "crap" on top is a 66. only 66's had a 1300 engine and emblem on the decklid. that is my car.

Franz did some incredible work on that bug. i wish more "traditional" hot rod builders had that fabrication talent.

13. hemi

hemi

Thanks for the insight! I was wondering about the story behind it... I've had it bookmarked on my youtube forever. It never gets boring.... that car is awesome.... I'll have to poke around for the SSB... which VW mag did you work for? I grew up reading them both...

14. Yes VW's can be badass. A lot of us started with them. In the eighties I think they kept the kustom torch lit in a strange sort of way. The first car I shaved was a bug as well as the first car I helped chop. None of my friends were building american cars at the time but we were heavily influanced by traditional rods and kustoms. I too still suffer from the vw adiction. I used to catch hell from the other Swanx about it, but hell I was daily driving a fifty year old car everyday. They kinda shut up when I burned 1st 2nd and chirped 3rd after a meeting one night. I have never understood this down on vw thing is it cause its forgein? Personally old badass cars are just that bad ass. Atleast their not modern Hondas. If you think they arn't bad ass look up Der Renn Kafer Cup racing class on the net and get your education.

Thats all the ranting I can do now:)
    Fudge

15. Oh I forgot to say that burn out was in my 62 single cab truck!!!

16. Hemi, I worked for both of the US-based VW Magazines, first, VW Trends from 1997-2001, and then, Hot VWs from 2001-2005.
    If you have the July, 2001 issue of VW Trends, where the cover depicts a Polar Silver Oval ragtop Beetle being chased by a New Beetle Cop car, that's me. That car is still in my agarge, although it now has the cylinder heads from hell, 48 IDA Weber carbs, and real (NOT the repop) Rader wheels on it. Once upon a time, I posted a photo of it on here, and got away with it, so, I probably better not do it again.
    Yes, the Super Shit Box was quite the car, and Mark Herbert was quite a man. The car went to Europe, I think back to der Fatherland, Germany, where is was recently raced at the European Bug-In, in Belguim.
    I can tell you lots about VWs, and particular cars, etc, but I think to avoid pissing Ryan and other hard-core hot rodders off, we had better send anything else via PMs...

17. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

so i'm about ready to bulid one of these bastads......all of them are sick lookin

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha....I have that issue.....opps...did I say that out loud???:)

19. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

1300s are one year only, '66.

20. Yeah, I made a post that I think Ryan may have cleaned up, that said that the wide 5, 5 on 205mm wheel pattern was used in the US until 1967, 1968 was the first of the 4 lug wheels... and the "1300" on the decklid, definitely means (if that decklid is original to the car) that it is, indeed, a '66, with a F-cased 1300cc engine. (probably a 1500 or 1600 now, though, good luck finding original 1300cc barrels and pistons...)
    I LIKE that dash in the'28... I have an Oval dash, complete, and I have a '26 Tudor (as my screen name may indicate)...hmmmm....

21. JESSEJAMES

JESSEJAMES

These things are Dumb.....Not "Old School" at all......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

You built a VW drag car for your TV show......was that dumb?

23. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

yeah everyone knows swiss tuscher split rollbacks are junk.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

wow the sarcasm escapes....

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

heh heh.. WHOOSH!

26. Abomination

Abomination

I'm with Jesse on this one, and (based on past HAMB experiences) am totally shocked that no one has cut this thread off at the knees yet! I'm personally not complaining, it's just that this particular VW thread has gone on longer than I've ever seen any VW thread go on for on here, and I'm in awe.

Shatner was at your wedding, dude. That just plain rules. :D

~Jason

27. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

For me it's not so much about the VW, but more about the skill involved in doing something that I think is extraordinary.

28. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

jesse was kidding. he owns that split rollback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.