Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pissed off about a Speedway donut crank seal!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cuznbrucie, Sep 21, 2007.

1. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

After all of the aggravation I went through with Speedway's rear banjo gears last Spring, I thought I had bought something from them that's fool proof........the *no leaks* *better than those hokey pieces of rope* neoprene rubber one piece crank seal.

I installed this thing according to the directions.....slather the outside with good quality heatproof silicone, slide it on over your crankshaft, then install your cam cover, oil pan and , Voila! The hot setup!....NOT!

After only about 5 months the damn thing is leaking oil down the front of my Merc oil pan and drip, drip, drip........not a gusher by any means, but still a leak........her's the rub.....

Now that the engine is installed in my Deuce, I'd have to take off the hood, grill shell, cam cover & dizzy, radiator, and then take the bolts out of my front motor mounts so I can jack the engine up to get at the crank pulley!! All of that just to get this shit product off my engine........I've used the usual two piece rope seals for years and never had a leak.......I should have left well enough alone!

Anybody else with a flathead have any problem with this crank seal?

I'd like to know about it......I am highly annoyed.....I think Speedway is slipping on the quality of what they sell.....

Brucie

2. Ole don

Ole don

Sorry to hear you have a huge job ahead. I have the same crank seal in my 286, been in there three years now and not a drop of leakage. I did make sure there were no scratches on the crank surface before assembly. The serrated surface seems OK, I thought it would tear up the new seal. Better luck next time.

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Don...did you coat the outside of the donut with a liberal coat of silicone before installing the cam plate and the oil pan...?

Brucie

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

BTTT for the West Coast

5. racer5c

racer5c

Did you remove the spiraled sleave on the snout of the crank and put a smooth one on?

6. sololobo

sololobo

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Why are you crying here? Go directly to Speedway, they stand behind the products they sell, and obviosly other folks have had success with this product. Any product can be flawed as well. but being in business for all these years says Speedy Bill is the real deal!! Hope you get this solved, it is a bummer to have issues like this. Call em!! Defending the homeboys!!!-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

That's what i was thinking.

I never had any problems but i have heard they make it right with people if they do.

8. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Thanks for your comments guys......but I am not *crying*....I may be letting off a little steam from my annoyance that their product has not lived up to its advertised properties and now it's going to cause me a lot of work that shouldn't have been necessary....just as their *GETZ* gears did not live up to their billing as *direct replacement* & *EZ INstallation*, and then I had to incur $165 in machining to make the pinion work!

And just so you'll know, I HAVE complained to Speedway and have not heard anything back from them in 3 days so far.........

CB

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Racer.....to be honest, I don't recall that the instructions said anything about changing any sleeve......I will check that, but I don't think it was mentioned......thanks for your comment..

CB

10. The sleeve you need if you didn't replace it is a NAPA #99162 Speedi-Sleeve. The bear here is you will have to pull the crank to have it pressed on.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... that sleeve is a must...

As for speedway, I haven't dealt with them too much but I have heard a ton of good things about their customer service.

12. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

F-1 Guy......thanks for your comment and the Sleeve #, however, when I get into this and uninstall the donut, I plan to just go back to the crude old non-leaking rope seals!!

On a positive note, at least a customer relations guy contacted me and refunded my $19.95

Brucie

13. Ole don

Ole don

I used a 49 Merc crank, the part the seal rides on slides on after the gear is in place. I used the only one I had, it was lightly searated. I ran some fine sand paper across it to take off the tops of the searations, and used planty of silicone on the outside. Both the timing cover and the groove in the pan were very clean, and wiped out with acetone before assembly. Then, I was very carefull when putting the crank pully in, it was lightly greased on the outside, and I made sure it didnt knick the seal on the way in.

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

It is more than urban legend that occasionally, if you call early enough in the morning, You end up talking to 'ol Speedy Bill himself.

I have used them for years and years...I suggest you calling them again. They have ALWAYS done right by us.

15. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Speedway has the best customer service in the biz. Call them and they will surely straighten everything out for you.

16. 31whitey

31whitey

oh man
    I just used a good ol fashioned rope deal on my 59a
    pressed the oil pan gasket in between the rope seals on the pan and timing cover, used a little dab of black gasket seal on the ends of ropers.
    Thats about the only place that motors is not leaking, hahaha

17. Yea I agree with you, I would go to the Rope seal at this point rather that pull the crank back out. Please do a follow up and let me know how it turns out.

18. Retrorod

Retrorod

I used one of those on Flower's 8BA without a problem, and I used the original grooved sleeve, I just didn't clean the stuff out of the grooved area. That motor has zero leaks.

19. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I don't care for the new seal either I like the good ol rope, on another note maybe that Flatty is mad at you for driving that mustang to much.

20. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Uh-oh............BUSTED by Six Carb!!

CB ;^)

21. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Shit!

I just put my pan on with a seal from Reds... Red handled it himself and typed instructions for it...

It said that the stock scrolled sleave is fine as long as it has no rough edges.

I'm not sure if it's the same seal as the Speedway version though...

22. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

I have used Speedway deal with success,also used the kevlar deal with success.Yes they can get mad for many reasons.

23. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

My answer to that one is no. The seal ate itself right away so I went back to the good old rope seal. Speedway gave me a refund and said that I was the only one that had ever had a problem. Right! Now I only have small drips on the garage floor instead of a large puddle. LOL Flatheads are the same as Triumph motorcycles. If it isn't leaking a bit, it's out of oil! :D :D pigpen

24. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut

The last 8BA we did used a Motor city front seal (like the Speedway seal)with the spiral on the pulley and a graphite impregnated rope seal from a 238 Buick V6 in the rear. Two years, no leaks (from the engine!!!!!!) Check to see if the seal is loose in the pan/cover. If I remember correctly we had to do a little reshaping of the channel in the pan.

25. my friend ordered a high volume oil pump for a flathead a while ago... put it all in and cranked her up... NO OIL PRESSURE!!! took it all apart turns out they didnt drill the hole for the oil to exit the pump! their stuff used to be great but it seems to slowely be getting worse.( not everything just certain items)