Register now to get rid of these ads!

TBI or Carb??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1954CHEVY, Oct 1, 2007.

1. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

I recently purchased a 75 Jaguar with a GM 350 crate engine to swap into my 54 Chevy coupe. Its complete but with a Holley TBI and a edelbrock performer manifold. I was wondering if it was worth leaving as is or switching to a carb? Is there more problems with TBI? Can I use the same manifold if I go with a carb? Im a rookie with mechanics im trying to learn all I can to get my car on the road I would really appreciate any input, Thanks!

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

if you don't know anything bout TBI maybe (besides which it is more "traditional") you should get a carburetor.
    some of those Holley units fetch good money on ebay.

3. Tony

Tony

Back when those TBI set up's first came out i bought one and used it on my 57. Mine was the analog unit and although it worked ok, i wasn't happy with it. In fact, after having it on there for a couple year's it started giving me problems..leaving me stranded.
    Again, this was the first gen of that unit, before they went to a closed loop digital system..
    My own thought's, sell the TBI set up and just run a carb..
    Not saying you will have problem's with the TBI, but i know you won't if you run a tried and true carb with a mechanical pump.
    I alway's look at repair's on the road when i build something..
    When the fuel pump on the TBI unit shit on me, i had to get towed home and waited for the new pump to come from Holley...
    That was the it for me.
    had i been running a carb with mechanical pump, i could have just gone to the local parts place and bought a new pump and been back on the road..simple and easy.

My thought's.

Tony

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

TBI isn't even a decent kind of fuel injection. Go with the carb

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Tony, it may be a good system now but look at the side of the road downfalls. The good 'ol card does it just as well and its something most of us know like out own nut sacks.............

What? You dont look at them in the mirror? You guys are strange.....

6. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

I cant locate a part number on the intake manifold, it just says Performer. From what im guessing I can use this intake with a carb

7. Tony

Tony

Yes. The standard performer was a spread bore intake, but should have both set's of bolt hole's for both a square bore (Holley- Edelbrock) or spread bore (Rochester quad). It's a carb intake.

8. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

Any recomendation on a specific carb? Electric or manual choke? CFM size?

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As has been stated, TBI is good as long as it's working. If you break down in a small town just outside of BFE, you'll be hard pressed for parts.

I think electric or manual choke is a matter of personnel taste. Both have an equal amount of pros and cons. A good pro with the manual choke is that you'll have a cool knob on your dash to play with.

10. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

if the holley throttle body is anything like a factory throttle body you can not use the intake for a carb, totally different, how many bolts hold down the body to the intake 3? edelbrock did make a preformer intake for tbi

11. Tony

Tony

That is right.. But i'm pretty sure the actual Holley TBI set up is designed to bolt to a 4 bbl carb intake. The set up i had had an aluminum plate, with the 4 mounting hole's in it to bolt to a normal carb intake that the TBI unit itself bolted to. The throttle body itself used the typical 3 bolt set up like the GM style but needed the mounting plate in order to be bolted down.
    At least i'm possitive the early one's did anyway. Mine bolted right where the 650 was.

12. Didn't Holley make both two hole and four hole units?

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I havent heard a ton of good about the Holley setup, and if it needs special parts, f that.

Altho, my ol K5 and current Suburban have early TBI setups and they rock, love em. Great gas mileage (for what they are), dependable as anything.

14. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

What about the ecu?

15. Tony

Tony

What about it?

16. alteredimage

alteredimage

I would say it's a toss up. EFI pumps are redially available now, EFI is great on those cool daysjust turn the key and go, Carbs are easier to fix on the side of the road but if you get stranded somewhere the local garage or parts place has parts to repair a efi unit and not a carb. Just my .02
    Josh
    Personaly I would run a carb though.

17. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

I dont got much money to spend on my car I got full custody of my 2 kids and money is tight just want to something cheap and reliable

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

Cheap and reliable: Edelbrock 600 cfm Performer carb with electric choke. (Since you live in Las Vegas you can save a few bucks and get the manual choke model - in all but cold weather they run just fine without any choke at all.)

19. mustangsix

mustangsix

So you buy a Jag? With an engine transplant? Hell, just supposing you get it running and the engine and trans are dead nuts reliable, What are you going to do when the $300 master cylinder needs replacing? Or the $100 brake rotors? The freekin' little parts on that car will kill you.

Dude, Reality Check. Seriously, you need something more mainstream.........

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Please read the whole thing, it keeps everybody on topic.

21. mustangsix

mustangsix

22. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

As long as we stay with all of the "TRADITIONAL" stuff our cars will perform like "TRADITIONAL" stuff.I have been running a Holley TBI on my 292 6 cylinder for close to 6 years, and not had 1 second of trouble with it or the computer. It's in a '58 Chevy pickup that run 12.70s on street tires and gets 16 to 20 mpg.I have had the best after market Holley's on this truck and after a great deal of tuning, the Holley's best was 12.90 and 12 mpg. A TBI with an air cleaner looks just like a carburetor and performs better. TBI's almost always run as clean as port injection, and will make just about the same H.P.Just about any properly tuned EFI will start and perform better in a street car than carburetors. There is a reason that there have been no carbureted cars built for over 20 years.
    Gemini EFI

23. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i switched a sbc from a camaro that was tbi to carb, its easy depends on your heads, if their center bolt u need to buy a 87 + intake manifold

24. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

Bought it for the engine! $200 is a great deal even though im stuck with a Jag with no title, Maybe somebody will buy it for parts, they came with 2 gas tanks, crazy!

25. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

Anyone need Jaguar parts

26. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You have the TBI, why spend money you don't need to on a carb?
    Fuel injection isn't exactly new tech, a lot of money and time has
    been burned through sussing it all out.

Drop the engine, TBI and all into your Fifty-four. Hustle those Jag
    parts, and by the time you have them sold off, get the kids some
    new shoes, and the Fifty-four a new carb if the TBI proves less
    than desireable.

27. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

ditch the fuel injection and install multiple carburetors

28. 1954CHEVY

1954CHEVY
    from San Diego

Alright finally got me an Edelbrock 1406 carb=)