Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crashed my econoline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Sep 30, 2007.

1. erock805

erock805

Ass packed by a lady in an SUV. NO she wasnt on a cell phone. This is my first time ever getting hit...and of all cars it happens to me and my 7 year old in my 61 eco PU. Both of us are fine.

So no one makes roll pans or tailgates for these damn things. The tail gate looks to pushed in to be able to save and the roll pan is a gonner 4 sure. How are they going to ADJUST this? Anyone have any ideas? We both had geico so I wonder how bad Im going to get screwed.

Im soo bumed....

2. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

[Both of us are fine.]

Say the above line over and over till you get perspective. The rest is just steel. It got bent into shape, it got bent out of shape, somehow or other you'll get it bent back or replaced or whatever. Glad you're ok.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

[Both of us are fine.]

Say the above line over and over till you get perspective. The rest is just steel. It got bent into shape, it got bent out of shape, somehow or other you'll get it bent back or replaced or whatever. Glad you're ok.

Wish I'd said that.

I recall what a friend of mine said after I boogered up my coupe. At the time, I felt like the dumbest chump on the planet. It went like this: Anybody hurt? No. OK, anybody arrested? No? Well, it's just a bent old car. We can fix that.......

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

All the above statements are correct. However, how the insurance company covers your truck will depend of how you have it covered. If it was covered with a "colector car" type policy with a stated value they will probably be pretty good, but if its just covered with the standard insurance, your probably in for a battle and unfortunately won't come out very well.

I suggest you start looking for a good used tailgate and roll pan. There has to still be one of each out there, you just need to locate them. If you can save the insurance company the problem of fnding it, you stand a better chance of getting it fixed, esspecially if you don't have the stated value coverage. Now, get an ad in the wanted classifieds. Good luck. Gene

5. Muttley

Muttley

I really hate the "It can be fixed" remarks. :mad: :mad: Thats not the point at all. It's great that you and your daughter are fine........now make that idiot pay for screwing up your ride.

6. eric

eric

play hardball with them. i had to go through this about 2 years ago when some dumb ass made a left hand turn right infront of me. they decided that my ranchero was toast and not worth the few hundred bucks it cost to buy a new bumper and a fender and headlight bucket. so when they offered me $500 bucks to total my car i laughed in their face, sent them the going price for a ranchero with a factory v8 and in the condition of mine goes for. they came back at me with ridiculous quotes of rancheros they found online in other states (which is a no no in southern california, they by law have to find you a car like yours in similar condition and whithin your general vicinity). so i told them i was wise enough about rules they need to follow, and i thought they were being ridiculous with their offers and was soon going to get back to them with my lawyer. guess what? he shoots back at me with a $3,500 check, i told him NOPE! he got back to me a few days later and they cut me a $5,500 check to cover my car, and then proceeded to tell me to keep my stupid car they did not want the pink/car and i did not have to buy it back if i chose to keep it (this guy was furious with me) so i signed off on the papers and got my check, kept the car, replaced the fender with a temporary one i picked up for $25 at the swap, popped the headlight bucket back into place, rebuilt the motor, upgraded to disc brakes, rebuilt the frontend and been driving the snot out of it ever since!:D

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Damn, that sucks. Your Eco's pretty cool. Eric's right, hold out for some $$. Good luck.

8. erock805

erock805

I know its gunna be a battle. I wont be able to handle some jerk off low ballin me...

These tail gates are a whore to find....saw a crappy one on ebay once for 1500. Oh well...make lemonade....

9. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

May know where a complete Econoline is close to me here in Frisco, Tx....may be able to buy the entire thing for $1000...will check today and get back to you.

Mark

10. erock805

erock805

Parts will be cheap (except for the trial gate) around here. Just gunna slow up my progress on the thing and other projects.

11. erock805

erock805

have any of you had trouble like this before? Is there any specific things I should check out.

I will pull comparable prices of a truck like mine. I will also get some independent quotes just to be clear.

Do you ever ask about pain and suffering and just all the time and crap you have to go through?

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those tailpieces have always been the hardest parts to find either in good usable shape or NOS. I sold a NOS tailgate for an Econoline Pickup about 25 years ago for $450. It was the tall one, not the short one.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Never sign off on the medical portion of the claim. I was hit from behind and took almost a year for symptoms to show. I'm certainly not the "screw em hard" kind, just letting you know.

14. tylerb

tylerb

i have a great insurance story haha. my buddy wanted a nice daily driver he looked around for a while and finally bought a 1997 thunder bird with a solid 4.6 and new paint for $1200 anyway a few months after he had it some guy side swiped the whole thing, the dents were not too deep but they were down the whole side of the car. it needed a passenger side door fender and qt panel, well he had the insurance company come out and cut him a check for $2500 haha we went down to the local junk yard got a matching color door, fender and cut out the section we needed from the qt panel all for $150 then we had my buddy weld in the new patch panel and installed the fender and doors, hell the thing looks great now haha

15. erock805

erock805

I was kinda wondering about the medical stuff. My neck is real sore but nothing I havent encountered before. I have not seen a doc.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

17. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

I had the exact same thing happen on my elco....lowball quotes of non running non ss cars from oklahoma and minnesota....i just waited them out....we went back and forth a bunch and finally they said they wouldnt work with me and that i needed to get a lawyer....well, since they wanted me to get a lawyer id be damned if im paying for it so i had the lawyer go after pain and suffering as well and in the end, i wound up with the amount i wanted to fix the car and not total it, and my lawyer got the rest (they wanted to give me 1500 bucks and a salvage title for what amounted to front end sheet metal work). you just have to be patient and don't back down if they don't come to you with a number you like. dont cash any checks they give you that arent the full amount (they sent me 3 different ones, hoping id give up i guess) and dont sign anything from them until is has a number you like on it. the law is on your side, dont let them convince you otherwise cause they will try.

18. roddinron

roddinron

19. johnboy13

johnboy13

Very similar story here. 58 Ford F100. Except, I paid for my honeymoon with the extra cash.

20. Muttley

Muttley

Go see a Doctor ASAP. I was in a what I thought to be a minor accident a little over three years ago. I wasnt going to bother to go and see the Doc but was forced to because it happend on the job. It turned out I have two partially herniated discs in my neck and surgery is too risky to attempt. They basically said I'll just have to learn to live with it. I thought it was no big deal and it was just a sore neck.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sucks. Glad you're all OK. Don't fret about the insurance stuff, chances are it will work out. If not, THEN, get pissed, concerned, whatever.....

22. Swifster

Swifster

OK, having been in the claim business for 20+ years, how this is handled will depend on the company. Who insure's your Econoline and who insures the vehicle that hit you? Yes, the insurance for the other car is responsible, BUT there is a big difference in how a vintage car company (like Grundy or Hagerty) will handle this as opposed to a mainstream company like Geico or Allstate.

If you have a collector car policy, especially if you have a $0 deductible, make the claim with your policy. Why? They are better equiped due to experience in locating parts on older vehicles. A mainstream company and their reps are not that experienced with these types of losses. Making the claim with your company should not cause your rates to go up. Your company will go after the other company for reimbursement.

If you are with a mainstream insurer, you'll need to justify the value of your vehicle, just like you would with the other party's company. To a Geico, that vehicle may only be valued at $3500 (just an example), and if parts appear to be a problem, they may consider the vehicle a contructive total loss. Too much of a pain in the backside.

Most likely all of the damaged parts will be replaced with used parts. Some parts are better than others, and will be reflected in the parts price. With a part like the tail gate that may be made of unobtainium, the estimate may just include a dollar figure to at least address the damage. Without having a solid basis to set a dollar amount on, I might just put a price of $500 on it. If the tail gate ends up being $1000, the insurance company will adjust the amount on the estimate. Make sure you get a receipt for your purchase.

If you are sore, make sure the adjusters with both companies know this up front. It may be something two weeks worth of Alieve's may cure (that pain in the neck is usually good for a couple weeks). But if it lingers, you at least advised them of a possible problem in case this continues to be a problem.

23. erock805

erock805

pics...tought to see in the flat light today

Attached Files:

24. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

That sucks and glad you both are ok....I know where a tail gate is, but I have not been to the guys place in a few months. I will see if it is still there this weekend. He wanted $200.00 for the entire thing (not much left), but the suspension was gone and he would part it out if you just need the gate.

25. erock805

erock805

Hell ya I want the gate...thanks man!

26. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

I dont know how bad the rear was recked but i found most of my 61 econo parts on www.parts123.com it's called Mac's Antique auto parts. i thought i saw a roll pan on there, maby it will help. hope you feel better and good luck with the hunt.

27. It's always best to see the "Doc" so they can document injuries,just in case of further problems(don't delay)Having been rearended 12 times(+1 headon)the pains sometimes show up later.:(

28. erock805

erock805

just an update.....

This happened a month and a half ago....

Still fighting with the insurance adjuster. The one estimate I got $5000, Geico said they would not pay. Said that her manager would have to negotiate the price with me and the shop owner if I insisted on using this shop.

The medical adjuster called me once, got her report, and never returned a phone call or sent out a packet.

nothings done buy time and money spent at the Doc, and my driving around phx trying to get estimates....

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have had moderatly good luck playing the deranged logger and threatening to come to the office with my 090 Stihl. Just make it perfectly clear that you have no intention to harm any person, just coming to saw your desk in half m--erf--ker
    Insurance companies will try anything and often get away with it. Just this morning my gf told me they were trying to lowball her on a clients thereapy bill.

30. Be careful accepting any payment on the vehicle loss. In some states accepting payment for vehicle damage relives the insurance company of any injury claims later on.
    This happened to my 84 year old dad two years ago. he could not find a lawyer who would take his case. The insurance companies figured he would die if they stalled him. They were right.

There was a guy in our club got t-boned in his late model pickup. The truck was a total loss and he had some minor scrapes etc. He settled for an attractive amount on the truck that was about $1000 more than it was worth.
    two years later he started getting terrible headaches. went to several doctors and found out that the accident had torn an area under his skin at the base of his neck/spline and that fliud had been leaking for the last two years. the fliud loss is the result of his headaches. It is inoperable, he still has the headaches and had to take an early retirement