Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about a 46-48 ford/merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Sep 27, 2007.

1. anyone running parallel leafs know the distance from perch to perch or know of a rear that bolts in, also is the rear frame width the same on a '36 ford to a '46-'48 (i can check my '36 if so). just doing research right now before i buy.

thanks

2. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I am running a 73 Nova rear end in my 47. It fits real nice, but it is a bit wimpy. However, I am not intending the thrash mine so it will be fine. I have another car for thrashing.

The car is at my buddies, so I can;t give you the dimensions right away, but I can check Sat if no one else gives you the numbers. Just PM me to remind me.

BTW, There are a TON of photos of the entire project on my yahoo group, listed in my sig. if you want to see photos of the install.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A Ford 8" from a 65-70 V8 Mustang or 64-65 V8 Falcon or Comet or 70s V8 Maverick/Comet would work well.
    Also 55-57 Chevy and 67-74 Nova and Camaro.
    The Poseys dual spring kit is complete and easy to install.

4. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Late 60's era ford f-100 pickups have a 9" that is only 1/2" wider than the 42-8 ford & merc rears and you get the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern.I have one under a 42 i'm building.

5. phat rat

phat rat

Which Nova rear are you running? You may be underating it. I have a 74 Nova 10 bolt 8 1/2" in my cpe w/454. I've thrashed on it a lot in the 60,000 mi it's been on the road and haven't had problems.

6. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

i have the rear end out of a 71 mustang in my 48 ford

7. bonesy

bonesy

I run a Granada rear with no problems behind a big block with a bolt in TCI kit. Works fine.

8. i know the 10 bolt 8.5 will hold up. i was just wondering if there was a rearend the the perches would line up with a parallel kit or was i looking at getting a rear with the right overall width and moving the perches. thanks everyone for all the info.

9. 416Ford

416Ford

This does not answer your question on what will line up but I have a 69 Mustang 9" inn mine and I purchased the new pads. Do not think you will be able to cut the old ones off and reuse them. If you do go this way be sure to keep the heat down, you do not want to warp the rear. As far as measuring goes it is difficult to do with the pig in the way and the springs on it also but mine measures 39-1/2" +/- , I dropped a line to the floor and tried to measure it that way. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

10. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I'm using the Ford 8" with the Chassis Engineering rear spring kit in my '41 Tudor. Works good, lasts a long time. pigpen

[​IMG]

11. ahhhh so there is a kit. on my '36 the 9" was shortened and i welded on new pads, but i had the body off. the car i'm looking at is nice stocker (outside) needs drivetrain and i would like to get it on the road asap. the '36 is in the garage so this will be done in the driveway (welder might not reach), plus the body is going to stay on as i work on it.

12. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I am using the chassis engineering kit too - the factory perches are perfectly located for the install -- although I hate the stupid rubber pad mount design that the Nova used. I will replace it eventually, but for now it is fine.

The rear I have is a 73 Nove 10 bolt and yes, it will take a fair bit of thrashing, but I much prefer the GM 12 bolt, Ford 9", or Mopar 8 3/4".

13. spare parts

spare parts

1oldtimer,Check out Weedetr Street Rod Components web site. Thet have a kit that mounts inside the frame rails that gives more room for bigger tires.

14. phat rat

phat rat

I think you'll find the wheelwell puts more restriction on tire size than where the springs mount. They don't have a very wide wheelwell, so unless you do some tubbing there is only so much you'll get under there. An 8" rim with 60 series is about it stock

15. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I measured mine today -- it is 44 inches center to center on the springs. . Hope that helps.

16. thanks again to everyone.....now lets see if i can get the car :).