Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why won't this guy sell me his car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Fe26

Fe26

Harrison, youv'e got his ph No right? put it in your diary or planner and call him every six months. Have a little chat about anything but the car, ask him how his little shop is going etc, etc. Also tell him what you have been doing with your cars, and the milestones in your life, son's birthday etc, get personal let him know you you would be the one if that car was ever for sale. Close the chat by giving him your phone No. (every time) and asking him if he ever chose to sell his car you would pay the right price.
    I don't mean to make you sound devious, but this is the way the pro's work.
    There is a downside to this if your'e not a pro. and get emotionally involved. If he decides to get rid of that car (and he's sentimental, you already know this) his first choice will be someone in his family.
    You can hope his second choice will be someone he trusts.... you.
    But it's just as likely one day you will drive past and it's gone, when you ask he's just as likely to say, Oh! some guy came by, said he had one just like it so I let him have it.
    I watched my old man do this shit for years, playing guys, making them twist in the wind. He was not a happy man.
    Try not to get too attached, it's just one car and there are others.
    BTW I got my "38" coupe this way, the car had been for sale for years and the owner would interview guys, if you didn't pass the interview you didn't get the car. The guy who got it didn't know what he had said or done "I just guess he liked my face". He did pay top dollar though.
    Good luck

2. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Yeah, I know a guy with an A Sedan in his garage and he won't ever finish it, He ought to just sell it. HAHAHA.

3. Jim,,would something like this be of interest,,,HRP

Attached Files:

4. This is a photo of my 63 chevy II project the day it was pulled from it's sleep in the barn,,,,last time it was on the road was 1985.

And No it ain't for sale. HRP

Attached Files:

5. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Chances are he'll never touch it. But you have to look at it from both sides. My Chevy sat in a couple of family members yards for almost 20 years. We had many offers to buy it and they all got the 'gonna fix it up someday' response.

You never know when circumstances will allow someone's 'someday' to finally come. I picked it up and started the frame off resto last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tomslik

tomslik

got a friend that's got a 66-67 2dr sedan he's wanting to sell......

7. as far as barn space is concerned.. he's got tractors, buggys goats and pumpkins to worry about... the car is down on the priority list. A lot of people don't realize or consider how much a car rots.. but dry storage can be valuable when you've got an empire to run :D

8. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Sounds kinda CRUEL to me !! LOL

9. Gene,

Kiss my ass. You don't know anything about me or my work ethic. Your reading comprehension isn't worth a shit either.

Shouldn't you be building some dumbass little toy car right now anyway?

Jim

10. alsancle

alsancle

You would be surprised how often this is not true. Yeah, maybe if you give somebody a million dollars for $10,000 car but many times money has nothing to do with it. I can't tell you how many people approached the guy with the Corvette I mentioned with a wad of cash.

11. Danny,

I'd much rather put $$ in a two door than a four door Nova for my son. How rough is that little car? What is the asking price?

For mine, I think I'm holding out for a hardtop.

Thanks, Jim

12. dude down the road from me has a superbird rotting away on a car port with a piece of rotting plastic partly covering it as the car slowy goes to shit , complete car with a hemi and he wont sell for anything . this same dipstick has a garage and whats in the garage ?
    a friggin VW ..

13. rick55fla

rick55fla
    from Cen Fla

It took me 6 months and had to install a new front door on the old boys house before he would sell me his 69 Cougar convertable. Just kept stopping by to see how he was doing. He said he was going to restore it, but he was on oxygen and couldn't walk without a walker. My wife, my kids and one of my dogs are the only things I won't sell !!!!

14. noboD

noboD

Naw, go for the 2 door post. The roof line looks better and you don't see many.

15. brandon

brandon

66-67 post....thats what i leaning towards myself....never had one of those yet...:rolleyes: as for the 62-65's....they are out there....and usually not too bad on the price ...not like the 66-67's....my last one , in the picture from 93...about got me killed.....but it was still a fun ride...:D the early chevy II's were my favorite car since i was probably 11 or 12.....thank you mr dobberton (sp) ...... brandon :D

Attached Files:

16. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I know where there is a 65 2dr post with factory 283, realtively clean, straight, very little rust if any, and sitting for a few years. It's for sale for $5000. It needs a battery and some TLC. I was going to buy it myself, but he took too long to come up with a price and I bought something else instead. PM me if your interested. db

17. So what is the problem ?

"I want it,so he has to sell it to me" ?

Bullshit.

18. guy51usa

guy51usa

just drove by one of those early chevy 11 hardtops today with $3000.oo on the windshield, just out of wichita

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Those things are still fairly cheap in Tucson. Saw one driven by an older lady Friday, license plate said OLFREND (old friend.)
    Pretty damn cool, 66 2 door hardtop.

20. some folk hunt.,fish, watch .football go drinkin...
    we like to look for old cars .. like you ..
    ..people are always askin us what were gonna do with em all and we say hey its what "we like to do"
    picked up a 68 lemans rag top on sat!

21. customfalcon63

customfalcon63

think he is too lazy to "beat the bushes" looking for one and is out for an easy score

once again that is what hes doing, he did mentioned it is in the bushes

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Well, you obviously don't know Jim.

He is the KING of the "bush beaters" :)

Rich

23. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have my first car still which is a 69' Dart. It has no engine in it and hasn't had one for about three years. Its IN my garage or my shop and has never been stored outside since I moved out of my parents house 10 years ago.

I still get bugged to sell it about once a week. Guys have even come up with some decent cash offers. But its not for sale - ever. For some reason that really pisses people off that I am slowly collecting parts for the car to restore it while I work on my two other cars.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

A friend of mines brother had a car he bought back in the 60's. (not really important what kind it was). Drove it, went into the military. It sat, he came back, it sat, it sat, it sat, he started to redo it but didn't get far.

Whenever asked if it was for sale he said "no, I'm going to restore it someday". Well one day a guy came with 30K and offered to buy it. He sold it. The Nova is for sale, it just depends on how much money you want to part with.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Keep at 'em. Recently a buddy of mine and I wore down a family on a '41 Ford pick up after 8 YEARS!

Take those adorable kids with you next time, that would win me over!

26. phat rat

phat rat

Problem with that is I know someone who if that happened to him he'd get so
    pissed he'd never sell it to you. If he did sell it it would be to someone else out of spite

27. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Your right. I do not know "Jim". Guess I have heard this story too many times. Jim, I'm sorry.

I suppose one's opinon would depend on if they have ever been on the receiving end of one of the "sell me your car because I want it" guys comments. I have.

There is also a difference between a guy collecting 50 car and a guy that has one or two sitting. Just not sure what the number is that makes the difference. Gene

28. Cruiser

Cruiser

Harrison,

Here's two stories of its not for sale:

1. I have a friend I've known since the third grade that won't sell me the '32 5/w his dad build in the early fifties, my friend isn't a car guy, the '32 has been in his mothers garage for 49 years, its a five window with a Red Ram in it. He said , I was the only person he would sell it too, but its in his will to his cousin who is a teenager, who most likely thinks a '67 Camaro is an old car.

2. Story two - There an old guy in town who has a '50 Merc and said it wasn't for sale. He told me he's saving it for his son who is 18 teen and he won't give it to him tell her grows up. I offered him a beautiful '62 Impala no deal. Oh well.....................

* I wonder how many great cars are just sitting around for the same reasons.*

Cruiser :cool:

29. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

I know a guy like that too.

30. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

Look What I Found. 66 Nova Ss 327, 4 Speed Car. Only Problem Is Owner Going To Restore It Someday. It's Been Parked For 30 Years. Maybe He Will Get To It This Year!

Attached Files: