Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crown Point Indiana anything to do? car scene?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Going to Indiana sounds like its near the border of indiana and Illinois..anyone from this area ? anything worth doing?:D

2. When you gonna be there?

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

helping a fellow rodder move:( ..he got bumped out of a ford plant here that is closing, and is on to another state. i was just wondering if it is a dead area or not. we will be there this weekend.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

looks like an area that could really get hit with snow from lake effect..

5. jmn444

jmn444

crown point isn't far from valparaiso... friday nites is a decent size cruise/parking lot deally at the super walmart... was at target, but got move and still there as far as i know... Apple fest in Niles Michigan is going on this weekend, a bit of a drive, but decent car show there too... otherwise nothing much that i know of unfortunately....

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hows the neighborhood?

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

yeah... its about 20 minutes from the Illinois border. I think they have a cruise nite on Thursdays in the downtown circle. Its a really nice area with llittle shops and businesses surrounding the courthouse.

The Friday cruise in Valpo is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never been there.

Crown Point isn't exactly the center of the hot rod universe, but its a nice town with some decent scenery for the area.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

\

really nice. Has a nice 'home town' feel to it. Kinda out in the country but still has a pretty decent mainstreet with everything you could need. Its 10 minutes from a major mall.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool..maybe i can make it a once or twice a year run after he moves out there

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

It would a little bit of a drive, but James Dean/Ducktail Runs are both this weekend. 2000-3000 cars will be there. Starts tonight at both places thru Sunday. Sat would be the best day. The weather is supposed to be good.

11. mojo66

mojo66

Actually, I believe tonight is the last show in the square for the season. Valpo is fun, it used to bring 200-300 cars until they moved to Wallyworld. It still brings alot of cars though. Which Ford plant did your friend work at?? Myself and a few other NW Indiana HAMBers work at the Ford Chicago Assembly Plant. Sorry to hear he had to relocate.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Mojo66 he worked at the Monroe Michigan Plant..and took this as an option to being cut when that plant closes..I dont know all the lagistics but hes not that thrilled with it but you do what you have to..Hes not a HAMBer he didnt have the time to be on the computer..but hes a great guy and a good friend..and has built many a cool projects Has an anglia, a T and A harley and is an all around good friend.

13. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Sorry, but I don't think anything exciting has happed in Crown Point since John Dillinger broke out of the Crown Point prison with a wooden gun and stole a V-8 Ford that belonged to the Sheriff. But that was back in '34. Is that prison still open?, do they give tours??.
    Maybe you can check into that.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeap that would be my luck..a prison tour..great!

15. mojo66

mojo66

:D It's still there. They even have a gift shop.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the only tour i want of a prison is if i screw up enough to be there!

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

come to think of it..i wouldnt want that tour eather

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

a friend of mine is a waitress at a nice place that is house where the old courthouse/jail used to be. Its VERY haunted. I can arrange a back stage tour... plus shes very easy on the eyes. :)

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well hey now yer talkin' ThirdyfivePu..not sure how much time we got but i do know we will be there saturday. I like the easy on the eye thing too.

20. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

My mom just moved out there last year because her whole family is there. Im working on building a shop out there ill let you know when it opens. Theres not too much to do but everyone keeps to themselves which is nice.

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

http://speakeasy220.com/

Thats the place. The website is a little sparce, but it does give you some good history on Mr Dillinger.