Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto darkening welding helmets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I know you get what you pay for and all, but has anyone bought one of those auto darkening helmets on that auction site for like $30? I'm just learning to weld and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a primo helmet when i don't even have my own welder. I'm taking a welding class and I'm going to need my own helmet

2. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

It's your eyes we're talking about here. I too am signed up for a welding class and plan on coughing up the dough for the good one.

I would not take the risk personally. I'm sure the $30 one came from China and we all know how honest the chinese have proven themselves to be with toothpaste, toy paint and pet food filler.

If given the choice of a cheap helmet and a good welder or a good helmet and a cheap welder, I'd take the later.

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

in my experience...the cheap ones tend to leave you seeing spots for a bit because of the increased delay time in the cheaper lenses. I ise a $100 hobart one and it works great.

4. rick55fla

rick55fla
    from Cen Fla

I bought the Lincoln Welding unit at Lowes for $99.00. It seems to work just fine. I've been welding for 30+years and I like it. I get the stick or the mig gun right where I need it,,close my eyes for a split second when I strike the arc. The Lincoln is solar powered so I just set it out in the sun for a few minutes before I weld and it seems OK.

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

A friend bought one and he said it was OK. For a first timer, sure. Can always go with the $300 Jackson later on. I have a Lincoln piece that I scored for like $50 new on ebay. They have a similar model for around $100 in Homo Depot. Might not be a bad choice considering they are your eyes, and Lincoln helmets are made by Jackson.

6. TEAMGrant

TEAMGrant

Don't cheap out on your eyes.

7. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

ya cant hurt your eyes with a cheap helmet if it fails to darken its just a little brite the lens filters out the harmfull crap .the prob is you cant tig very well with em not sensitive enough ..they are fine for mig

8. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

i read up on the ones from harbor freight, and they actually had a better reaction time then the miller elite,

if you dont weld for a living the one they have at HF is fine, a friend of mine has had his for a year or so and he swears by it.

I have a miller and I love it, i weld every day so i shelled a little more for a good one with lots of features and a good warranty. Its comfy also, except where it pivots on the sides there is a small seem on the inside that tends to grab the short hairs on the side of my head...

9. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

dont foget the fit also. the liner the head band, the way it will close when you tip you head, or get a chin opening one, you are going to be welding not watching a movie,
    should be adjustable in many ways, and comfortable, if your helmet is pissing you of then your welds are going to show it also,
    as far the lens goes, some like bigger area ,others like the smaller, the shade scale is similar on many models, but not all, a 10 scale on a cheaper lens is like a 8 on others, i personally would not scrimp,,, it is not something you need to buy every year

so if you are going to spend money figure on owning it for a long time, i think a better helmet in the long run pays for itself

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

do your self a favor..ask yourself.."am i serious about welding" is the answer yes? than spend the money on a good helmet..you will thank yourself later

11. Dude......outta all the tools in my shop, the last one I'd cheap out on is my welding helmet! I've burnt my eyes and let me tell ya, it ain't NO fun. Ya got one set o' eyes. I wuz at a bud's place helpin' out, usin' his hood. It had one o' the ol' flip up lenses, which happened to have a cracked hinge. Ya couldn't really tell it, but it didn't seat good when ya flipped it down. BURNT EYES. Git the auto-darkening with the adjustable tinting and delay. Yer gonna eventually MIG and TIG. Come on, admit it, yer hooked like the rest of us. Ya just gotta accept that fact.......it's the first step.....

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Combine all the advice. Get on ebay and buy an used high quality helmet with a large view area. They practically last forever, (my jackson is a former production welder unit) and the front lens and head gear are replaceable at your local welding supply house. It's all the helmet you'll ever need. Like the others said, it is your eyes.

13. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

All you have to do is ask yourself this one question... How much is your eye sight worth to you while protecting them from serious damage?

then spend that much on a helmet:)

14. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I do a fair amount of TIG on aircraft stuff and to me it's worth a little bit extra to get a nice helmet. there's a ton of little things you usually wouldn't think about, aside from the quality of the lense/reaction. definitely get one with an adjustable darkness AND reaction speed/sensitivity. hinge quality, headband quality and comfort.
    and for what kind of welding...for a lot of workbench welding you'll want a helmet that drops down and offers some coverage for your neck but for tight space underneath a vehicle it's nice to have a compact size.
    main reason we get our helmets from our local welding shop(along with all the other welding equipment) is when we have a problem, even if it's not under warranty, they still flex a little and give us a deal on replacement parts and repairs and provide CUSTOMER SERVICE. and we're not even a big account there, we might weld a few times a week, if that.
    with the cheaper helmets you just end up going to buy another one if/when you have a problem and don't come out very far ahead in the long run.
    my opinion is to get something that's nice, quality built and from a welding supply shop. plus that way, you can get a feel for the customer service of said shop and see if they're someone you want to buy a welder from if you end up wanting one...and seriously, what MAN doesn't have a need/desire to own a welder at some point in his life?!

15. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

If ya' can't see, how the hell da ya' plan on being able to work?
    Spend a few bucks and protect your vision! Safety glasses too.
    Pat

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I like my eyes... I bought a good helmet... I don't like seeing spots...

17. GrantH

GrantH

i personally like the non-auto helmets.. Set the gun where you need it, tip the helmet over, and strike your arc. Nothing too hard about it, and you have no worries on delay.

18. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

again the delay wont hurt your eyes. the lens filters out the crap....if your auto dark fails it wont burn your eyes. it will be just bright. even the expensive helmets are disposable the lens is worth the money the helmet is basicly free

19. Low

Low

I agree with GrantH I have had the same Jackson non auto helmet since I started welding 10 years ago. The shades are cheap to replace, and it works just fine.

20. banjorear

banjorear

I got a Miller & love it. One word of caution with any solar powered helmet with battery back-up power.

If you haven't used it in awhile, either reset it or set it out in the sun prior to welding.

I learned this the hard way. Helmet sat for some months after my second son was born. Went to go use it & I just thought that it was dark in garage.

It wasn't working. Saw spots for a day but, learned quick to make sure it was charged up or using the back-up battery power.

21. Louie S.

Louie S.

I welded for a living before i made it into the office and have burnt my eyes several times, I don't recommend it so I would buy a good one. (Lincoln Hobart or Miller) I personally like the Miller I have two of them and they work great. The Miller has four pickups for light and it works great for low amp settings.

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Buy a new Miller Elite, or Jackson.

All else is junk, and you won't like the consequences.

They're your eyes. Don't fuck around.

23. jj mack

jj mack

: .:..::: : ..:.: :.::. .:.::.
    ..:::. .:::.. .::. .:::.:.::

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

25. rusty210

rusty210

I started with an HF which quit working shortly after I bought it. I bought a Kobalt at Lowes last week, and the difference is well worth the price. I started a welding class at the local tech school, and feel far more confident in the protection I get from the pricier helmet. Spend the cash.

26. budd

budd

buy a regular helmet, maybe you wont like welding, i have tried auto helmets but have never found one that goes clear, there all like wearing sun glasses inside the house, if i'm building something i can weld a little, flip up my shade and grind, stick another tack on, i like that, i've owned the same cig helmet for 20 years. $40 and never brakes down.

27. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I bought the most expensive one at harbor freight ($99) and I like it pretty well. The only problem I have is that it is a bit too dark. Really! I have been using my old flip down helmet for about 20 years and my new auto darkening is darker and a little harder to see when welding....probably good on my eyes though...

This is the one I use.....http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94337

Mike

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Ha, ha, I just read the link I posted and I see that my helmet has "variable shade control". Maybe I can lighten it up and it will be perfect!..too funny.

29. In agree with budd, buy a regular helmet. If you were around 4 months ago I would have given you one for free.