Register now to get rid of these ads!

"RAINED on" looking paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Don' t see the big deal wanting to plant your creation in specific "period" time zone. Seems everyone on this Forum has picked their "time" to finish thier car ,"Thier-way". He picked the era when this stuff was popular...So? I just did freak drops ,airbrush fades & highlights, Lace, hand pinstriping , pearl, flake and all the 60's stuff on my '93 ford F-150. My truck, thats what I like ,so I did it. Looking for the bell-bottoms now.

2. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

"Bobbo" is really Bob Bond...find him at his site- www.autoartmagazine.com check out "Kool Links. ... if ya got a few hours.

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I did this "DIRT on" paint job once, wern't hard to do at all, never tried painting my own stuff again.

4. paintpyro

paintpyro

I thought Bobbo was Bob Dunn. Bob Bond never had a nickname.

5. haring

haring

This doesn't really add much to the water drop effect knowledge, but here's a peanut tank I picked up this year with some fogged panels, flames, and freak drops.

[​IMG]

I dig the custom paint.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You guys, I have nothing better to say than "YOU ROCK!!!" The talent some of you have is amazing, every once in a while I pop open a thread on the HAMB and pure excellence oozes out of it!!

I really dig the custom paint effects I've seen on this thread. Congrats to the guys who can go out and do this, and thanks to the guys that open the mind of the rest of us!

Water paint.... Freak drops.... how cool....

7. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

When I go back to Wisconsin this fall I will look for pictures of my Galaxie when i first got it in the early 80's. It hadn't seen the road since 1974. I only took a couple, it was EMBARASING, it was covered in freak dots, rain paint, actylene smoke trails and was panel painted to boot. I took me about ten gallons of stripper to get that mess off of the poor car. I predict epic madness if I can find the photos.......

8. bad gas

bad gas

We used basecoat. Spray on the first coat and let dry well. We then masked the area and used a waterhose with a spray attachment for the desired effect and recoated with a slightly different color to make the water droplets stand out. after the paint flashes use air to blow dry. Then Clearcoat. Looked really good when used in moderation.

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I like that "Rained on " look paint. Not sure if I ever seen it in person before. Certainly, more original then Gorust car. Lets see Milner yellow with flames. Yeah never seen that before

10. leadsled01

leadsled01

Damn fella's.. This thread is 2 months old. I have decided not to do the rained on look.

11. aaahhhh I see the haters are back out again. Hey 6t5frlane let's see your car.

12. Louie S.

Louie S.

The guys who said all you have to do is wet the car and spray paint over is correct. When I did it on a boat we used an airbrush for the paint over the water, but I only did it in a few spots on the boat. After the water dries up you cover the water effect up in clear and your done, I think it looked really cool with just minimul effort.

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Not hating anybody just that you seem to preach a be different-not like all the rest attitude but your car does not reflect that. That said my car by the powers that be here may not conform to there pre-64 law. It's a small block 4speed car that looks very much early/mid 60's. Thankfully No flames. Your car looks nice enough as do a lot of Street Rods

14. DougnDog

DougnDog

In the 60's & early 70 I used water drops in custom bike paint jobs, it looks best with layered colors, it not hard. play around with it and you might be suprised what comes out. This is my first time posting even tho I have been reading the posts off and on for a couple of years. the thing that keeps me from posting is the BIG MOUTH PUNKS who screw up a guys good thread. its too bad I think more older guys like me would share info if they didn't have to deal with those loosers. Doug

15. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Doug, Good Info from older guys is always welcome. Hope you stick around . Welcome!! P.S. I'm OLD too

16. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Ha,,,I'm a young guy!!,,,AND I get sick of this "bad boy" shit-talkin'

Thanx for the info! Very interesting! :D

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

And with them come the shittalkers.

18. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

i remember seeing this done by spraying the car with a mist bottle then coming from one side with a white or light color with an airbrush and then doing the same on the other side with a gray or black... maybe im just full of shit.

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Slow and Low......" Shittalkers " Thats funny but true

20. skratch

skratch

it works really well with soapy water .the bubble will last longer .