Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Who's wiring box and kit do you guys like? I'm leaning towards ENO's out of San Luis Opbispo CA. Opinions?

2. Also is anyone a vendor for Nu-Relics power windows? They make a kit for my '49 Holiday to replace the Hydraulic windows.

3. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I like the Kwik Wire kit.

4. old beet

old beet

I had good luck with EZ...............OLDBEET

5. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

I'm using a kwik wire kit very nice kit.

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

7. Phil -- I put Enos "black boxes" in my last two cars and really like them. You only use the circuits you need, there's none of this "pre-wired" redundancy or pre-wired snake farm. They're a little big, but I put the last one under the seat riser in my RPU and the position fore-and-aft in the car worked great for the various wiring paths. They come with clear diagrams, and diagrams for individual circuits if you buy their wiring bundles. They also make it easy to use fabric-covered wire if you choose. Good phone support, too.

Dave

8. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i wired my old truck with a painless kit and really liked it, but my ford (which you have seen) was bought with the enos kit already on it. In my short time dealing with it and the things that i have re-wired on there, i really like it. (and i think its really affordable too). but the panel is quite bulky probably twice what the painless panel was.

9. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i used a rebel kit for my bucket. was real clean and simple. supporting the mom and pop outfit, and HAMB alliance discount, whats not to love? :)

10. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

Just last week I installed a 21 circuit(+ expandable) EZ Wire kit in my 51 Chevy.I've never messed with wiring before. That kit rules. $200 bucks to my door. Color coded or black. Either cut out what ya don't need at the box or coil up what ya don't need under the dash. Took more time to remove existing wiring than to install the new kit! Only went with the 21 cause it was $20 more than the 12Circuit kit and now I can add poppers,locks,windows or whatever later on.

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi Phil

Buy a good fuse box and some wire........ pick a daigram to follow and go

I have miles of wire here and never got a ''kit''

Wiring is straight forward and easy....once you learn you'll be able to fix it and do any old car....honest

You can buy a lot of wire for KIT PRICES

12. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

:cool:
    Wow! Ya mean it can be done without a kit?? As a matter of fact I did learn quite a bit about my electrical system using the kit and would recomend it to any first timers that don't have anyone confident in showing them otherwise. I'd even go as far as to say I'd now be comfortable hardwiring my own fuse block if I felt so inclined. I probably won't though.
    Have fun with it buddy!

13. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

This guy is the best in the bizz. he is always available to answer any questions you have on the phone. if he cant help you right away he will call back even on sunday. Ive seen him at shows and he talks to everyone like he has known you for years. the first time I met him in person he asked where I was from and said to me " You must be Sam" after only talking on the phone w/ him twice in the past 2 years.
    Not only is his customer service top notch so is his product.
    http://www.affordablestreetrods.com/

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes I have been KITLESS all my life :D

15. 40Tudor

40Tudor

I used a Centech panel (PDP-1B) to rewire my 40. Compact, no terminals required at the panel end and use any wire you want. Since it was a rewire to relocate the panel, I didn't bother with a kit. Still a good learning experience for a 'first timer'.

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Whoah forget that, I couldnt see myself doing that. Not cause I cant, more that I would really really not want to be bothered.

I have done 10 or so cars with EZ and its just that. Start in the wee morning and you will be done by nightfall when you get comfortable with them.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ive installed 3 painless and 2 Haywire. I like haywire best of the two.

18. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you COULD you wouldn't consider it a bother :)

Do you think Hot Rod wiring takes days?

Perhaps we have a difference ''bother threshold'' :eek:

No matter......

20. Tony

Tony

I've used Francis (nice but lot's of coin), and EZ kit's. The EZ kit's are nice, simple and have worked perfect..
    I just bought a Rebel kit for my truck. Look's like a nice kit too, and i too like supporting a fellow HAMBer..great price as well.
    I also have a friend who does nothing but buy a fuse box and run all his own wiring as well. That's the only way he'll do em.

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I "could" use my masonry cutting/grinding tools to form the rocks I needed for last weekends landscaping project in my backyard.

But, Lowe's sells em for $3 a bag so....

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

YES!!!! Wiring is not as tough as it seems.......many guys have no problem welding stuff to their frame, rebuilding an engine, etc....but are afraid of wiring and need a kit????? Most of the time half the kit isn't even used and is just confusing with all the extra "spaghetti".........
    Everything to do your own wiring, from the tools to the wire to the connectors, is cheaper than a kit........

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Farmers here load my 39 GMC with rocks for free

Honest wire,terminal strips and a fuse box don't cost much

I like to use cloth covered wire and run the stuff where I want not where someone thinks I should

We both know there is just no big mystery wiring

AND no reason some of the folks here shouldn't learn

Lots of folks here aren't engine builders or Ace metal men but they could wire their own car

24. rab71

rab71

Im such an idiot when it comes to wiring... Even the super easy stuff... My brain just does nto comprehend it... I have an EZ kit and still can't get the damn thing to turn over with the key... But that is for another topic... Otherwise I really like the kit it is very straight forward but the directions and schematic contradict each other so I'm confused anyway moving on...

25. lolife

lolife

I used a painless kit, and ended up splicing about 10 wires because they weren't long enough. That's 20 solder connections, about 40 pieces of shrink-wrap tube, etc. What a pain.

I cut the wire, inserted a longer splice, then put the cut wire on the end, so I would have the writing on the wire that they do.

The painless instructions suck. Once you grab the fuse holder and flip it upside down, it all starts to make sense. Just a bunch of buss-bars.

I've also done a truck with just some NAPA wire, but NAPA doesn't have a good variety of colors, so you end up with the same color wire for a couple of circuits.

26. BJR

BJR

My vote is the Kwik Wire kits, have bought 2 different ones with good results.

27. I recently bought a Centec. I like the fact that all the wires are not soldered in. I bought a kit but would have been just as well off to have bought the panel and a couple of spools of good wire.

28. autoartistry

autoartistry

I use a kit from Affordable Street Rods.Never tried another brand as their kits are top quality and never had any issues with them.
    Mike

29. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I'm with Bluto. I would never buy a harness.

30. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

We DID wire our own cars. WITH KITS. What fuckin' difference does it make who soldered the end of your wires into a plastic box? And it's none of YOUR business how WE spend OUR money. The POINT is the job is done correctly.
    Typical electricain

Attached Files: