Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Flathead What ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swazzie, Apr 30, 2004.

1. swazzie

swazzie

Hello Oh HAMB Federales . I am looking for info on the elusive flathead six.I have found tons of valuable information about the great stovebolt but have been duped by the flathead gods on this subject .I want to keep the six in my ford and am determined to hunt down anything pertaining to sources for manifolds, cams, trans adapters ,pics , etc. . So far I have been sapped with woe. HELP!!!! Anything would be very appreciated .Thanx guys (and dames) .

Attached Files:

2. swazzie

swazzie

3. Isn't Germ the flathead 6 ruler?

4. swazzie

swazzie

NO! Not GERM? Really ? I didn't know that .Thanx 4t64rd. Much appreciated.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think Germ is actually the OHV 215 six ruler...I just found an article on a really crazy 215 race motor, with homemade injection and mag pistons...
    There was a full array of speed equipment, mostly race oriented, made in the early fifties. The engines were briefly popular in track racing, where they were quite competitive, but died out due to six-cylinder disease--broken cranks.
    The stuff can be seen in California Bill's Ford Manual. None of this was ever common, and finding the stuff now is likely to take luck and money. Reasonable approach might be milled head, cam, and welded or fabricated intake and exhaust--I'd be pretty pessimistic about your chances of finding original parts.
    If you go hunting, carry a head gasket as six heads all look the same, at least to me. There were probably at least three or so heads made, probably Edmunds would be latest and most common street oriented stuff.

6. swazzie

swazzie

Thanx alot Bruce. I have had three hundred sixes but not this .Mmm .Maybe an option also , but love dem flatties .Just sounds kool. I will consult the great one just to be sure .

Oh humble Germ . . . where art thou . . . will you forsake me in my quest for the snail ? Shall I be left to stay this malestrome alone?

; stay tuned folks to see if feeblish the consort is grafted by the great wizard of HAMB lore . . . . . .

7. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

8. swazzie

swazzie

Thankyou Blueskies. That,'s a badass six .Now that's what I'm talkin about .I figure that before 8's hit the scene , someone must have wanted a faster car.thanx again.Great pics. swaZZie.

9. disastron13

disastron13

Couple other HAMBeroids runnin these motors, I have a soft spot for them too.
    I have mentioned before on the subject that the only place I have seen finned heads, tri carb manifolds and ign setups for them is on speed boats in the midwest lake states...maybe a "vintage runabout speed boat" search on google would make some connections?

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

Check with Magnet on the HAMB. He's been doing a lot of research on the subject. Also look into Inliners.org. They tend to mostly discuss chevy 6s, but any inline engine is fair game and someone there may know what you need to know.

11. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Langdon has an Edmunds listed on his what's new page for your flatty, $250.

I bought my mopar version for $180 on e-pay, maybe the ford units are more rare?

Pete

12. six5monster

six5monster

13. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

14. swazzie

swazzie

Thanx to all of you and the invaluable help you have provided.This was my first subject posting and it's going to steer me right where I need to be . Man what a community of great people .I'm NOT gonna cry , I'm not . . . . thanx again guys . very much .

swaZZie

15. DrJ

DrJ

I have one in my Model a project and know a very little about it.
    The distributor is a vacuum only unit that relies on a mixed signal from the stock carburetor. at idle it gets manifold vacuum from below the throtle plates and off idle it gets a venturi vaacuum signal from above the throttle. the distributor is designed to work with THAT carburetor only and would run retarded and possiby/probably overheat with the addition of more or different carbs unless it was somehow calibrated to work with the new reduced signal(s).
    I am in the process of adapting a '58 mopar 6 distributor to mine that has both mechanical and vacuum advance which should be more universal.
    I'm going to have to weld the drive end of a Ford dizzy shaft onto the Mopar dizzy to install it.
    That's about the only modification I can see so far, the case fits in the Ford block just fine.
    That project is down the priority list though so don't look for an update soon.

I've given passing thought to turbocharging too.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. disastron13

disastron13

Aren't the 223 distributors the same? Or is my memory bustin a rod bolt again?

17. FLAT6

FLAT6

Flathead 6 huh, that is my specialty [​IMG]. I have three flathead 6 ford motors, one in my '46 and two awaiting future projects. Your engine shot is very nice, clean lookin motor. Speed equipment is hard to find for these and is generally expensive, but it is out there. As for stock replacement parts, the best bet is Joblot Auto and Egge, they should have or make anything you would need. Just pm me if you have any questions, I don't know everything, but I have been researching these motors for a while and I love em. I have heard that the distributor was the same all the way through 60's and maybe even into the 70's or later on the 223 OHV. Hope this helps
    Mike

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a 1947 Ford flathead six that you can have...cheep.....maybe cheaper than cheep

19. FLAT6

FLAT6

If I was close to you I would prolly come and get it, but I am starting to run out of room now, with my '46, my '36 project, two flat 6 motors, a flat v8 motor, and a v6 motor laying around, along with another complete truck in parts laying around the back yard in pieces. can never have enough flat 6 motors though [​IMG] Thanks
    Mike

20. swazzie

swazzie

Hey Mike , thanx alot for your help.Some -one and I don't remember who( probably a fan) told me about you and your affinity for flat sixes.I have found alot of different options since I started this post and and am grateful for all of them .I'm now entertaining the Idea of exhaust templates to make a header (a 6 into three with cutouts to run out of the front fender and then a triple lake pipe system.That would be sick I think! No smithys or mufflers , just Straight packin RUMBLE.

Thanx again , swaZZie

21. magnet

magnet

I have two flat 6's.. one of which i am fixing up for my '50 ford project.
    Speed Parts are very very very very very hard to find... may i repeat.. very hard, and expensive!

Luck plays into it also.

I am resorting to making a dual carb intake and split headers with long collectors. If i can find a head i would use it or a cam.. i can always get one ground but that aint cheap.

Since those motors are so choked up to begin with, improving the airflow will give you considerable results..

I rently posted on the hamb about gasket kits for the flat six, you can get the fel pro numbers off of that post.

I also will come and pick up any flat 6's that anyone has in the midwest.. if you dont want them.. i will come get them.. if they run.. i will even give you a bit of cash.

22. FLAT6

FLAT6

I am gonna make a dual intake for my next flat 6 project with some home made headers as well. I have found some speed parts, but in my opinion, they are not worth the money. An alum head is about $350-$800 depending on where you find them, and you can use your stock head and mill it to get the compression without worrying about the electrolytic problems between the iron and aluminum. As far as headers, making your own is WAY more economical and probably just as efficient as the commercial ones(I have only seen one pair of Fentons for sale EVER). An intake is a bit harder to make, but not that difficult, so you could opt for an Edmunds or Offy intake, since the intakes seem to be more readily available than any other speed parts. Ignitions are really hard to come by, but if you can find a dual point one, get it.
    THe motors are very strong, torquey and very simple, open up the ports a bit, bore it out as much as you can (mine is .090 and can still take another .100), make some nice headers, dual or triple carb it, get your cam reground (only $80 from my guy), mill the head as much as you can get away with, depending on your cam lift, and you will surprise the shit outta people at how fast it is. I got some more little secrets too, just keep lookin. My '46 is runnin straight pipe and damn does it sound good [​IMG] Hope this helps
    Mike