Register now to get rid of these ads!

Enough of EVERYTHING at the GoodGuys Chicagoland Event....more photos and story added

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Sep 24, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Enough cars, enough people, enough vendors, enough music, enough cruzn, ......maybe not enough track time but I'll live with that.:D

Pulled outta Lovely Livonia bright and early for our trip westward to the Goodguys Chicagoland event. Since Big Olds is at the South Austin Speed Shop getting a Fat Lucky interior I was left with 3 options, walk to Chicago, ride with Dad in his ‘56 Olds OR drive his ‘48 Ford Coupe that he has up for sale and if I sold it, gaining a few extra dollars that he would have certainly stuffed in my pocket for the effort.;)

The Ford is not my cup of tea BUT it really is a reliable mode of transportation. Dad's Olds on the other hand, I'm totally in LOVE with wheels and all.
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite signs in Michigan. Can you imagine living in a town called Climax??
    [​IMG]

The wheels might not be everyone taste BUT this Olds looks bitchen going down the highway.
    [​IMG]

Got to Joliet and proceeded to head right to the Speedway
    [​IMG]

Registration was quick and easy and we then headed to the infield. No lines what so ever.
    [​IMG]

Once inside OldBobSign had a couple of spots for us AND a little scooter thing rented for me to cruz around on. I felt a little strange on it but I knew it was probably for the best as my calf was still tender and I didn’t want to overdue it.

Within 5 minutes of arriving we ran into KIRK! Cruzn around in his golf cart. We stopped and chatted for abit.
    [​IMG]

We then started checking out all the cool cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ionia Hot Rod Shop built the chassis for this beauty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do ya know, a flattie :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The current owner purchased this car from the little old lady in NJ who won it in a Yahoo! Contest. It was a neat ride and Dad tried to get him to trade since he was trying to sell it. No luck.

[​IMG]

When we came across this unusal number Larry explained it was an old show car from back in the day. Nice to see it still out and about.
    [​IMG]

Larry’s buddy Dean’s truck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran into the HAMB’s very own Bdrake and was able to cop a HUGE hug. GREAT seeing you bud. I’m glad we got a chance to chat. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks at the PileUp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ran into HAMBer NickGee AKA Nick32Vic’s Dad. I’ve been thinking about how many HAMB guys I’ve met over the years AND from them how many of their folks I have met and now consider pals. Kinda like a two or three for one friendship.
    [​IMG]

Nick’s “Cockroach”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was another friend of Larry’s, Jim Evans who received two “picks” for his ride. It certainly was a crowd favorite.
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to the hotel, checked in, showered and headed to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant that Larry recommended. Had a delicious meal and then once back at the hotel hopped into the hot tub to relax. Here’s were you would see a photo of me in a bathing suit in the hot tub…..YEAH RIGHT!

Headed to bed knowing we’d have a FULL day tomorrow at the show.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Saturday morning I woke up to a clean “streetrod”. Dad had gotten up early and washed the ‘48 before his ‘56 stating that I could head to the show when I was ready and get the car a promanate selling spot. I ate breakfast then headed the 5 miles or so to the Speedway. It was 8 am and the line to get in was 45 minutes long. I was not a happy camper. One way in does not cut it with that many cars. I’m sure the powers that be took notice and will correct the issue for next year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once inside and parked I was a happy camper again and started checking out the cars waiting for Larry and dad to arrive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were vendors inside buildings as well as outside. We ran into the guys that run the World of Wheels event in Chicago in Jan and had a nice chat with them about how they are trying to change the image of the event. They are working hard at it and I believe are going to be successful in the years to come.
    [​IMG]

The gentleman on the right is a very talented car builder. We chatted extensivly about the red Willys Ridler winner he built a couple of years ago and the Willys he had in the World of Wheels booth right there. BOTH great guys and I really look forrward to seeing them both again in the future and hearing about what they've been up to.
    [​IMG]

One of the other guys in the booth was Bob Behounek who is in charge of the charity panel jam that will be taken place at the World of Wheels event. He’s a wonderful pinstriper and artist and I’m proud to say I’ve got a piece of his artwork from the Milwaukee Panel Jam last Jan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then headed over to the PEAK sponsored Suede & Chrome area
    [​IMG]

There were a NUMBER of HAMB cars in this area.
    [​IMG]

This is 38Pickup’s who just happened to get the Suede & Chrome pick on Saturday. CONGRATS! Bud. Well deserved sweetie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ms Metal’s, your car looked GREAT sitting in the sunshine and I enjoyed our brief chat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CycleBilly’s, wonderful seeing both you and KC and I look forward to seeing you both at the PileUp. Dad really enjoyed checking out your car, he especially liked the color he said.
    [​IMG]

Roadstar’s, glad to see the roadster on the road and visiting with both you and Race. He really seems happy with his life, he's a GREAT guy, you should be very proud.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The raty-ist rat rods had the largest crowd around them. Go figure
    [​IMG]

Ran into Levi who’s been a HAMBer for a few years but more of a lurker. He couldn’t remember his HAMB name and neither could I. He’s extremely talented and I really wish he would share his fab skills on the HAMB.
    [​IMG]

The Deuce Doings area was right next to the Suede & Chrome area. Ran into Finkster and his lovely wife. Great meeting the both of you and getting to know you both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other side of the Suede & Chrome area was the Fabulous Fins area. This one really caught my eye.
    [​IMG]

We then went inside another one of the buildings. Larry wanted to pick up a few books and mags from the HAMB’s very own Hot Rod Company who is an Alliance Vendor. It was GREAT seeing ya again sweetie. Thanks for the hookup!

Side-Valve and OldBobSign
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It’s almost noon-ish so we head over to the Meet & Greet area where we had hung a banner earlier in the morning. Folks started to gather and we handed out name tags and event stickers. We had a much larger crowd then I had expected. A very pleasant surprise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even had a surprise guest
    [​IMG]

Group shot
    [​IMG]

I wonder if he thought I'd notice:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TWICE:p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing better then sitting around BSing with a bunch of car pals
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HAMB Meet & Greet was a HUGE success. Thanks to everyone that made the effort to attend. It was wonderful meeting folks for the first time and seeing old pals. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone at the Hunnert Car PileUp next month.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Larry, myself and my Dad left the Meet & Greet with folks still milling around and we headed over to the food vendor area for lunch. Like I mentioned in another thread, the food was very over priced for what you got. I don’t mind paying top dollar for a good meal BUT lousy stuff, no way. I realize the GG organization has no control over the food vendors there or their price and quality. I will in the future bring my own lunch fixins’. While sitting at a picnic table eating our lousy BBQ pork soggy sandwiches we listened to a great classic rock band that was playing. Sure beat the usual oldies stuff that plays at most car events. The DJ was also playing more classic rock then anything else all weekend long and was a nice change. If your into rockabilly the music selections probably wouldn’t appeal to you.

So we head over to Detroit Speed & Engineering where Dad parked the ‘56,
    [​IMG]

close the hood and hop in….
    [​IMG]

and headed over to the autocross area. Dad wanted to see how well his car performed. For those that don’t know, Kyle and Stacy Tucker, owners of Detroit Speed & Engineering, are the ones who built Dad’s chassis. They have been friends of the family for almost 10 years when they use to live here in town and worked for GM. Without going into too many details, once their business took off, they quit GM to work fulltime on customers cars and R&D and once the business took off and they needed to expand they moved the business to NC and purchased an old NASCAR race shop.

Anyway, when we got to the autocross area Kyle was behind the wheel of Stacy’s Camaro and putting it thru the paces. If I emember correctly his best time was 10.004 and Stacy’s best time was just a couple of tenths higher. Boy she sure tried like hell to beat him. The both drove that car like pro’s.
    [​IMG]

Very exciting to watch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad decides that Kyle would do a better job driving his Olds and showcasing it’s handling abilities so we empty the trunk and Kyle gets behind the wheel. I get to ride shotgun. Even though he didn’t say it, I think Dad was afraid of throwing his back out. I buckled up and turned my camera on video. Kyle left in 2nd and kept the car in 2nd the whole time and turned a respectable low 12’s I think it was. The video turned out AWESOME and I’m going to try to unload on you tube and post here.

Larry then hopped in the Olds with Kyle and they went for a ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then hop in the passenger seat for another turn. This time he launched in 1st and left it there. Got the time down to the low 11’s
    [​IMG]

I know it tough to get the feel of the forces from side to side as he makes the hairpin turns. Trust me when I tell you I had to hold onto the garnish molding on the door with my left hand so I wouldn’t side onto Kyle’s lap.
    [​IMG]

Kyle then parks the car and we all watch this guy from BFGoodrich take this Ultima GT thru it paces. The car is a 1,000 HP twin turbo LS6 owned and built by Jeff Schwartz from Crystal lake, IL. HOLY SMOKES, the dude is doing the course in the 9’s. I think to myself, boy I’d sure like a ride in that. Well after watching him a few times I think to myself all he can do is say no right….so shy me asks him for a ride as he passes by me with his drivers gull wing door open. He says sure, hop in. WOW! Lucky me! My Dad helps me strap in the 5 point harness tight. Here we go!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So after about 4 or 5 laps he explains that the tires are getting really warm and not performing like they should. Well the last time thru the course the tires weren’t grabbing and we ended up doing a couple of 360 degree donuts before pulling off the course and we ended up dragging a cone under the car to the parking area. WHAT A RIDE!!

My driver
    [​IMG]

The cockpit
    [​IMG]

The engine
    [​IMG]

The car sitting still by their booth
    [​IMG]

So we decide we’ve had enough excitement for awhile and head back toward the vendors and show car area and check out a fe more rides
    [​IMG]

No flathead here ;)
    [​IMG]

We spot Roadstar cruzn in his roadster
    [​IMG]

And some car buddies from back home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had spotted this bitchen number cruzn around all day and finally caught up to it while it was sitting still. GREAT guys, very friendly and outgoing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner did the striping and was his first time I think he said. LOOKED AWESOME!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner is BufloChp and is in the white t-shirt. I forgot what his pals name was. Car was GREAT and I look forward to seeing it and both guys again at the HCP.
    [​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So now it’s about time to get Larry’s roadster and take it over to the staging area for the track cruz. Larry had a 4pm time and I had a 5pm time so we decided I would ride with him then he would ride with me in the ‘48.

If you’ve never drive your hot rod on a banked track you really need to make it out to a GG event that does it such as Charlotte or Kansas City. Indy had track cruzn but the speed is kinda lame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KIRK! on his usual mode of transportation at the event
    [​IMG]

Rudy and Cindy
    [​IMG]

Very exciting cruz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then cruz’ed the roadster over to where I parked the ‘48 and hopped in that and got back in line. While in line CycleBilly and Ms Metal passed by us and they were exiting the track area.
    [​IMG]

We got out and mingled with folks while we waiting our lines turn to enter the track. They took folks out in groups of about 20 it seemed like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My friends from back home again
    [​IMG]

Once on the track
    [​IMG]

We got lucky in our staging location as we were located in the back of the pack which meant once we entered the track I fell back abit, half a lap maybe and then was able to really cruz at speed, which were weren’t able to obtain in the roadster….70MPH. They were trying to keep the pace at about 55.
    [​IMG]

Just the two driving events today would have been worth the price of admission……and the long wait time this morning. Actual driving events at a car event! Way Cool!!

After the track cruz we headed back to the hotel, shower and headed out for a nice steak dinner. Spent some time in the hot tub afterward then called it a nite.

Sunday morning we woke up early again, ate breakfast and started to pack up the cars. A couple who had been checking out the ‘48 all weekend and asking questions was hanging by the car. I offered to take them for a ride. They seemed real interested and I could tell they were first time street rod buyers.

Anyway, got to the track and tried to get a photo of the ‘48 and ‘56 parked in front of the Chicagoland Speedway sign. Got chased off the grass by a security guard before I even got out of the car. Thankfully there was no line to enter and traffic moved very quickly into the infield. Dad went and parked by the Detroit Speed & Engineering booth and I parked on the main drag in a very visable spot and walked over to DSE.

It was wonderful seeing both Kyle and Stacy all weekend and having the opportunity to hangout and catch up on life. If anyone ever gets the chance to chat with them, please do. They are both two of the smartest people I know in the industry. The new products that they have developed for the aftermarket industry just blows me away. Their company has grown so much that they just doubled the square footage of their shop by expanding. They are a GREAT couple and I’m so happy for them.
    [​IMG]

Then headed over to the PEAK display where Kevin and Chad from Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle were hanging out. Chatted with the boys abit and then bid our farewells till next month.
    [​IMG]

Walked around in the “pick” area
    [​IMG]

And were so pleased to see our good friend NickGee got a pick for his cool roadster “Cockroach”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dick LaHaie, my Dad pointed out to me the nice roof treatment. Not sure if you'd call it "pancaked" or not but it is much flatter and nicer looking then stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hopped in Larrys roadster and did alittle cruzn in the grass areas and ran into his pal with this beauty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You guys know me by now and know there’s a story to go with just about everything so I see this 47 Olds 4 door and shy me walks up to the group that’s sitting behind it and asked if the owner was around. Everyone points to one guy and I then ask him if by chance he has the hood emblem of his Olds. He said the one that was on the car was trashed BUT he has a parts car that he thought the one on it might be salvageable. He then asks if I’m the girl that owns the purple 47 Olds convert and I say guilty as charged and I introduce myself. We shake hands then he proceeds to tell me he JUST got done doing the ‘83 Cutlass front clip sub frame swap from the article in Rodders Digest!

OMG, that article is 15 years old and folks are still using it as a reference! Just Steve would be so pleased to hear that and if he was still around, it would have certainly been a point in time where I would have immediately called him on the phone and told him about the encounter. I really miss him at times like this. Anyway this conversation took place with my new friend on Friday, Saturday he shows up and hands me the emblem. I ask how much and he states he would like copies of all the articles in RD regarding Big Olds. I say done deal and we shake hands and exchange numbers. Making new car friends is so cool, especially when we can help each other out. With all the excitement I forgot to get a photos of him and I together but I did take one of his car…..
    [​IMG]

One of the emblem…
    [​IMG]

And once rechromed, what the paint on it will look like
    [​IMG]

Trust me, it’s not going on Big Olds BUT will be used for a super secret project that will be shown sometime before or around Thanksgiving.

Around noon-ish Dad and I headed for home. It was pretty uneventful and both cars ran flawless.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will add a neat note to end the weekend on, we were in Michigan, just coming out of a one lane construction area when this Chrysler 300 starts pulling up alongside Dad. Dad kept accelerating and so did the 300 till finally at over 100MPH the 300 backed off. Dad’s 70 but sometimes acts 16. It was fun to watch, glad neither got a ticket.

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice ! Thanks for posting.

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im havin a hellofa time gettin the pics to take after 444444........stupid puter!:mad:
    but kool from what ive seen....how ya feeelin hun???been offline forever here!:eek:

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Denise, big wheels or not.. your dad's ride is one of the coolest..

I really like the two 55 chevys you showed...

14. Was it your car getting the interior?

15. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

glad that leg of your`s is not stopping our world tour of hot roding !
    hope your heeling up my friend ! :) Casey

16. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Nice pics thanks for posting, I guess nothing keeps you down huh? I think I have seen pics of that old show rod somewhere only it had twin blowers or something a little different for a motor

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I feel bad I missed the meet and greet and I had my truck right there too.

I did not know this was your dads car. It was kool.

Attached Files:

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

That HAMB meet looks like it was full of Goodguys paid attendees pretending to be having a good time. Way to fake it everyone! Your checks will be in the mail.

Seriosy though, I was stoked to actually make it to one of these for a change. A bunch of the cars pictured were award winners.

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks. It performed on that autocross track like a champ. It was the largest car I saw out there and had the third fastest time in it's class. I have a video taken from the passenger side that I'll post on YouTube tomorrow and post.

20. Denise i love your Dads' Olds,that car is so cooool!!! Glad to see you still mobile,to keep us distance challenged HAMBers so well informed,as per your usual first rate coverage,THANKYOU.:D

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Don't hold your breath on that one Denise...GG's Des Moines event, 4th of July, only had ONE WAY in...and it was at least an hour at 8 AM, blocked up a main city street too......GG's ColoRODo event at The Ranch only has ONE way in...but it was about half an hour...I don't think that's going to change if they can't find people (clubs) to man the gate(s!).

Looks like it was a good turnout tho...thanx for the article...

R-

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

It was fixed by 10am and is already solved for next year.

23. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice coverage Denise. Good to see your up and rollin again. I gotta agree with the others, your Dads Olds is way cool. Gary

24. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Cool pictures Denise! My dad was so stoked. Him and my mom had a great time. He said one of the neatest parts was driving the Cockroach around the track. Wish I coulda been there! See you in a couple weeks.

25. Hardware

Hardware
    from West Coast

Awesome pictures Denise. Some really neat cars there.

26. hotrodladycrusr
    Great shots,,,glad you had a good time, the show has potential...
    Bill j.

27. bdrake

bdrake
    Member Emeritus

It was nice to see you again Denise, and met a few new people at the meet-n-greet. Had a great time and got picked for the "Under Construction" award to top off the weekend.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Denise, that's Jim Evans. He's standing behind the car. He's a longtime family friend and a great guy. He just redid this one. It used to look a little like Django's coupe.

He's been to the Pileup with it before

29. It was 8 am and the line to get in was 45 minutes long. I was not a happy camper. One way in does not cut it with that many cars. I’m sure the powers that be took notice and will correct the issue for next year

Good to see you there . You do know of the secret back door entrance to the speedway that avoids the traffic mess .

30. Great coverage as allways. You ROCK!