Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100's, Skirts? should or shouldn't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HMH INC, Sep 22, 2007.

1. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

I've got a 53 F100 and have been taking it in an early 60's- late 50's direction as far as mods go and am kicking around the idea of putting fender skirts out back. In a couple of the old Rodding and Restyling mags I have from 1959 to 1961 there are a couple of tricked out F100's in there with fender skirts and they look kind of cool but there's always something else done to the thing that I don't like, i.e. grill etc. You usually see the early 50's trucks, Ford, Chevy, etc. all done about the same way these days and it's rare to see one done differently that actually looks 'right'. So, since everybody has an opinion, what's yours?

2. Try it, you can always take them off. It's an easy instal.-MIKE;)

3. 6volt jolt

6volt jolt

I've kicked around the same idea. Seems kind of cool. Would like to see some pics. Did someone make these or they home made usually?

4. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

I'll try and scan some pics later tonight, can't do it from work right now. Mid Fifty f-100 parts out of Arizona sells them for around $175. I'm in the process of lowering it right now so I still have a few weeks to make up my mind..........

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Being a long time owner of a '55 F~100 mild kustom truck i would have to say ....HELL NO !

They might have been some trucks from back then, But i have always thought F~100s look like shit with fenders skirts.

But thats my opinion ... And it seems it dont count for much.

6. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

Thanks Desoto, that's all I'm asking for, your opinion. So that's a capital One in the 'NO' column, heheh.......

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

you shouldn't, looks like shit

8. Notorious

Notorious

Living in NC which is probably only second to WV in tacky pick-ups per capita, I've seen pick-ups with fender skirts. It looks totally retarded.

9. skratch

skratch

10. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

What Looks Kool And Would Give It A Nice 1950's Touch Is To Run The Skirts With The Tail Pipe That Run The Lenghth Of The Fender (kinda Like A Bellflower). I'll Try To Post Some Pics. Also, Since No One So Far Likes Them, Thats More The Reason To Run Em??

11. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

spite is like nitro to me.............

12. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

One more for "NO!!"...

13. hoof

hoof

Skirts, and a continental kit behind the tailgate! Seriously I have seen some pics with them on and think they looked cool.

I just got skewered here for wanting an outside visor (doing it anyway) on my F1, so you might be asking the wrong guys.

CHAZ

14. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

hoof, right on, I've already decided to upholster the tops of the running boards with white marine vinyl so I wasn't gonna ask opinions on that, the visor thing is pretty cool in my opinion

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I guess some guys like them and some guys don't.
    Here's some F100 of friends that I scanned so you can check them out.
    I also scanned the one page out of the Nov. 07 Ol' Skool Rods.
    Then there's this Mustang at Cobelas in Wheeling.:eek:

Attached Files:

16. Notorious

Notorious

Oh God. :rolleyes: I work in a KW shop. We occasionally have trucks come in that have upholstered fenders and even fuel tanks. I've always just assumed that the owners were gay........... :D

17. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

that's funny, I always thought KW was a place for 'slow' people to work at, heheh, back at ya slick

18. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

wow, thats all ive got to say about the skirt pics. looks funny on stepsides. it looks like a bubble with a flat side. doesnt look smooth and thats what skirts are for. to make things look smooth... so its a no on my side.

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I don't think they look "bad" on an F100 ( assuming its lowered etc.) but I just don't think they add anything either.

Some styles lend themselves to skirts, some don't. I have a set of skirts for my '63 Grand Prix gathering dust in the garage right now. Bought'em, didn't like'em.

20. Notorious

Notorious

Hey, I can take it as well as I can dish it out. I've been at this present job 15 years and that's way too long. If I never touched another medium or HD truck it'd be waaaaayyyyy too fucking soon. I love turning wrenches but I'm not getting any younger. I'm making a concerted effort to get the fuck out of there and turn wrenches on vehicles I love instead of vehicles I hate.
    I ain't too damn bad at what I do and the money is about as good as a wrench can make in common car or truck repair. But money alone is not the issue at this point, I can make do with less doing something I truly love. It's time. It's past time.....

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I don't care for it typically, but have seen some done that looked O.K. Its something you can reverse if you don't like it pretty easily.

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You'll need some blue clearance lights for your full width mudflap & a big chrome bird on the hood with lit up eyes. Local blacksmith can build a Y pipe for the 8' water pipe stacks with flappers. Dual spare tires mounted on the bedsides with nekkid girl wheelcovers & 2 neckin knobs & you'll be stylin'

23. 40chev

40chev

I'll vote NO, skirts look good on old mercs and 50 chevs but never a truck...I've seen a few trucks with skirts and they just don't look right no matter how low they sit..

24. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

Not my cup of tea, but here's a buddy's mint 56 with the skirts, he does get alot of attention about the skirts. He loves them and thats all that matters.

Attached Files:

25. KlassicHauler

KlassicHauler

You have a no form another F-100 owner as well. Keep the skirts on the lead sleds.

26. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Another "no" vote here too...

It really can't be said enough; "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

27. himmelberg

himmelberg

Cool on an over the top custom... maybe. Sucks on Andrew's pal's mint '56. P.S. mint is GREEN Andrew. Bwahahaha. Good to "see" you.

himmelberg

28. zzford

zzford

Pleeeze, don't. Trucks are not meant for skirts.

29. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Unless you're doing a total taildragger, no
    (note my avatar)

30. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

302GMC, that's pretty damn funny, seriously. Seeing that pic from theCatholic almost made me puke, no offense to his buddy intended.That earlier pic of the gold one is pretty cool but despite everyone begging me to put skirts on this piece ( quit begging me ) I have opted against. For now.........