Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Caddy Hearse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fifty8, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

If you don't buy it, I will. :D

I might even buy it off you if you decide to pick it up just to flip it.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe you're going to find that that whole "hearse" conversion part is wood structured, something to think about.

There is a big following for funeral cars of all kinds. Find their website and see what parts are worth. Then keep the drivetrain for a future project and part out the rest.

3. Man, if it was mine and you offered that, I'd tell you to get the fuck outta here before I kicked your ass. An electric 3-way table is worth $1500 minimum regardless of working condition - I've turned down people offering that outright, which means if I had one to sell I'm sure I could get more, these turkeys always offer pennies on the dollar for stuff like that hoping you'll be dumb enough to take it. Even without that, these things weigh between 2 1/2 and 3 tons - when scrap gets up there it's worth $500 at the crusher.

We sold a '60 M&M a while back in about the same shape, complete, motor turned, sat outside a good 10 years, was an original NY car, ... what did we get for it... $2000 or $2500. The guys who bought it paid another $1500 to have it hauled to the west coast, and the trip shook most of the rust loose on it. They wanted to build a Ghostbusters clone, so they didn't care.

I sold two others after that, a '52 and a '48, and we had no trouble selling any of them - the '60 was the cheapest.

This car is distinctive and rare... what's a little tin-bending to the guy who knows how? I don't get people who are scared to death of a little fab and welding. It's just metal, if you know what you're doing you could build the whole damn car from scratch. If you don't know how to do that, so what? That doesn't make it junk.

4. There were 3 main hearse builders in 1959. Miller Meteor, S&S, and Eureka. Am I leaving anyone out? As far as I know the Eurekas are the rarest. I think they look the most like a hearse with the "gothic" rear doors and quarter windows and high roof.

5. Taff

Taff

well, did you buy it? or are you going to let me take care of it ?LOL!!

6. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

Glass for Eurekas is next to impossible to find. On occasion some will pop up and then disappear just as fast. I have owned a few hearses. They are money pits and you need to seriously think about how committed you are to cruising one of these great old gals. EVERYTHING about them is expensive. There is nothing cheap(or easy) when it comes to hearses.

Seriously think real long and real hard about jumping into a huge project like this car.

7. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Wery little real value?!?!?!No offense,but are you retarded??A restored 59 Cadillac Hearse,M&M in this case goes for upwards of $25,000 easy,and the gas mileage isn't that bad...

8. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Actually,Ecto-1 was a 1959 Miller-Meteor combination,totally different ride than this...

9. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Depends on who you know;)

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, Ive been told I was retarded by more folks than just you. To restore that hearse would cost over 25 grand! There's lotsa rust ( 10 grand worth at least) and ten grand or more in chrome! Now add an interior and an engine rebuild. Maybe gas mileage isnt that bad when you compare it to an Edsel, but it is BAD! low teens at best.
    Now lets look at buyers... 9 out of ten folks wouldnt be caught dead in a hearse (pun intended) There may be a collector out there, but he prolly already has one similar.
    Now a 59 caddy convert is another story. Dont get me wrong, I love hearses, and a 59 Caddy is the "creme de la creme", but the market is so small its almost invisible.

11. movingviolation

movingviolation

Nice body design....but id be running scared of the rot....im sure there are more rust gobblins in that puppy. And as said before.........the chrome....ouch.

Would be one awsome ride when done, but as for value. There aint alot of dead wagon people out there, so it could be a money hole.

12. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Low teens ain't bad...And I doubt it will be a daily driver...Hell,my Caddy gets about 14 to 16 MPG and it's my daily driver,and the tank lasts me a week...The Market is not invisible...Hell,search a few hearse sights...Most collectors would give thier righ nut for that car(going market on a donated testicle is $25,000)...The Chrome is interchangable with sedans and coupes,depending on what you're trying to get...I have access to a lot of pieces and things for a car like that or any other hearse for that matter..

13. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

I've got a 59 flower car with the same rust, it'll be a BIG project. But there's nothing cooler than all that stainless over a bed that's larger than a pickup.....

Lots of unique parts on a professional series 75 car. I could use a some parts if anybody's got any........

14. Al Von

Al Von

NO coach builders were using wood in the 50's! That thing is plain rusting steel.

15. Al Von

Al Von

Only the largest: Superior! Still in Lima, Ohio as part of Accubuilt, with the other names--S&S, Eureka, and Miller-Meteor.

16. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

You're forgetting Heney, as well...
    I'm having trouble remembering off the top of my head what coach builder did FoMoCo's conversions. It wasn't any of the previous mentioned.
    And Superior only outlasted the other coach builders and was able to buy their production rights.

17. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Just some friendly advice from someone who has owned a couple hearses and is a past PCS member. You need to be able to fab your own repair panels for everything from the A post back, because they are not available. Eureka's were nice but the Superior Crown's were the kings, they had a big chrome piece that went across the roof, very nice. Parts for these coaches are so ridiculously expensive it will make you puke. This car should have a 390 in it, $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to rebuild, maybe a swap for a later motor, but who knows??? I used to have it bad for hearses, had a 72, and later an 88 that was cherry. The thrill wears off pretty quick when driving one. The Pro car society is the primary networking source for parts and such, and is made up of uptight dickheads who have hoarded up all the remaining parts for years and will not deal with a "hot rod guy" if you ain't wearin a suit and pumping embalming fluid for a living, fuck you. They are dicks of the first degree. I know where there are 2 59 M+M's in as good as shape as the one you're looking at and they are still sitting because once I really sat down and figured it up, it just didn't make sense money wise. Everybody freaks out about the 59's but trust me, they are out there and come up for sale. 2 Superior crowns sold on EBAY last year for like $5000 or $7000 if memory serves me right, and they were solid and workable. The bottom line is, if it's worth it to you, get it. If you want a beater, rat hearse, great! Just be forewarned that to restore this thing to former glory is at least a $30,000 proposition conseravtively. One of the PCS ass monkeys has a 59 Superior Crown that he spent $50,000 restoring, and it is perfect. Good luck!

18. gearjam1

gearjam1

I have a 1926 Henney Hearse, and have owned a 1959 Pontiac Hearse... YES, they are LOADS more expensive to restore than most other autos. The main thing that this professional car has going for it, is that the glass is intact. You would spend much more than $2,500 just replacing the glass...if you could find it... You're not going to lose money on it, if you lose interest. I would go for it...it's a beautiful car.

19. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

As one of the few PCS dickheads that's not really a dickhead, I agree with you 100 percent. If you do buy this coach, DO NOT let any of those guys know you may or might alter the car in any way. The fuckers talk to more of their friends faster than the chicks in high school.

20. fifty8

fifty8

Well, so far I'm leaning against buying it. There are not many cars I would rather have, but sensibly thinking about it I have more than my plate full as it is. I would have to sell off a couple things before I could bring it home anyway. I would like to see someone get it and do something with it though. Here is a link to the listing if anyone wants to contact the current owner. Keep in mind if anyone here buys it, we will require updates and pictures.
    http://charlotte.craigslist.org/car/421087608.html

21. Wasn't Henney defunct by 1959?

22. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

This is a riot. The Uptight Dickhead Hearse Clique.

I'm having trouble remembering off the top of my head what coach builder did FoMoCo's conversions.

[​IMG]

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Low teens is bad! When it costs 5.00 to go to the Quickee Mart and back its BAD! and its only gonna get worse. Its hard to get rid of a guzzler land yacht at any price. Just look at the classifieds in your local paper

The chrome may be interchangeable, but putting on "better" chrome isnt gonna make it a top dollar hearse. It'll still have to be replated, and all the chrome on that hearse will be 10 grand or more! When you are dealing in these specialty markets, Patched up shitboxes bring small dollars. If you do a halfassed job, you're only gonna be able to sell it to an upstart teenage heavy metal band.

24. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

I would love to see pics of that 59 pontiac. I had a 65 poncho hearse for a spell.

25. raceratrod

raceratrod

For as much rot the car has on all lower body panels i would check the frame out real close ..

26. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I would get it as some said it would look good sitting in the yard to freak out people. Restoration would be big bucks but probably worth it . We have a small funeral home in a nearby small town that has a 59 or 60 i can't remember and the funeral director who is in his 80s said it is the one he is going to go on his last ride in. It would make a cool ride restored or not. if you can do most yourself and take all the time you want it might turn out good.

27. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

got any pics of that flower car?

28. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

As for the car -very rare body worth the time & effort for a restore, if you can do it.
    As for the glass - Eureka was a 1-of-a-kind builder, replacement glass does not exist.
    If you do it, please do anything with it except 4x4 or another Ecto-1 clone.
    Good Luck
    Al

29. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

Easy there. I was agreeing with him about so many members of the PCS being dicks. I'm a true believer of doing what you want with your car. After all, if you're gonna drive it, it might as well be what you want it to be. I just don't believe knocking someone because they want to personalize their ride - most PCS people do and cut you off because of it.
    Actually, almost all of the trim on these cars is stainless, not chrome. Stainless only needs some elbow time...
    I'm not sure. I have a friend that's a Henney geek. I'll ask him and report back.

30. A little O/T, but there is a 56 Cad Limo here in town, with a 454 BBC in it, all there, surface rust (but you better get on it before it becomes worse), all glass is good, interior is toast, for $2,500.00... if anybody's interested, PM me and I'll go get some e-mailable photos and a contact number for ya-