Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody going to the James Dean Run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin' Joe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

It's less than 2 weeks away, the 28th thru the 30th in Fairmount, Indiana. I'll be there, only this year I don't have a Merc. I'll be in a '41 Ford chopped convert. Let's see who's going and get together. This year has a few surprises and I've been talking to one of the movers and shakers of the event, (who happens to be a first cuz of 'The Cool One') and he said to expect a bigger and better show than ever before. I'm lookin' forward to it.

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yeah, I'll be there in my green 52 Chevy Convertible. Looking forward to it. I have been wanting to go for a long time and finally scored a hotel room,

B:)B

3. Mopar34

Mopar34

Would absolutely love to, but can't get out of work this year. :( :mad:

4. Ron

Ron

I will be there as always. I have heard about some of the changes that are supposed to take place at Fairmount. I like Fairmount better than Gas City anyway.

5. buick 58

buick 58

can you enlighten us on what some of the changes are?? i was planning on going to gas city but could maybe change my mind

6. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

My son and I will be there on Saturday in a faded spotty ol 51 Merc on it's way back from the dead. Probably will go to Fairmount and Gas City.
    Ol Blue

7. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

too many crying baby dolls in fairmount for me. i will be at the ducktail run in gas city.

8. blktopbandit

blktopbandit

i'll be at fairmount, can't wait.

9. hammrd29

hammrd29

i should be there fri in a black 29 sedan ford chopped and channeled with fat whites on it

10. Ron

Ron

I go to both but most of the time Fairmount has more and a better class of customs. Gas City has more muscle car stuff and 78 Malibu's with hood scoops. They both have plenty of cry baby dolls and garbage.

11. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Buick 58, I talked to Jim Hayes, who is pretty heavily involved in the promotion and setup and he said that The Crystals will be there Friday night, there will be more of a 'continuity' this year. (Last year it just seemed like there were big 'gaps' in things going on) ,there's going to be a dance Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, they're having a church service in the big tent, with the Christian Motorcycle Assn. There was more, but that's all I can remember, off hand. I'm also going to check out Gas City this year. I missed it last year, but definitely gonna go this year, however we're going to be mostly hangin' at Playacres. BTW, we'll be staying at the Motel 6 in Anderson. Before we head out, maybe somebody can suggest a time and place for all the HAMBers to get together. I've only been once, so maybe one of you old-timers that have been a few times will come up with a good time and place.

12. Ron

Ron

I was also told they were trying to get some more lanes through the park for cruising. Not sure if they were or got it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am registered for the ducktail but will go to fairmount to spectate,its been a couple years since i have been to fairmount since once you get in the ducktail its hard to get out but as soon as I hit the registration tent I will go back out to visit fairmount for a couple hours then head back to gas city.

14. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Ill be there,fourth year in a row.

15. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Why's it hard to get out of the Ducktail Run? Maybe I need to stay at Playacres???

16. BrianBSU23

BrianBSU23
    from Indiana

They are both two unique and totally different shows. James Dean has more of a "traditional car show feel" I think. They have a high concentration of kustoms, hot rods, Mercs, and usually famous customs (previously appearances of Alexander Brother Kustoms, Moon Glow, etc...)

The Ducktail Run has more of a party atmosphere and great night life. It really comes to life at night with lots of cruising, flamethrowing, etc... The Ducktail Run also has a much larger swap meet area. The Ducktail Run has many paved cruising paths throughout the park. At times it can be really bumper to bumper, but it is not that difficult to get out and is really part of the fun.

I usually go back and forth between the parks several times throughout the day. Either way you will have a great time

I'll be at both starting Wednesday night with my camera taking shots for my website covering the two shows. I'm going to try and get all of the Hamb'ers cars and get them posted. Check my website out and you can kind of see what you can expect to find at both shows.

www.JamesDeanDucktailRun.com

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its not really hard to get out but will take some time if the flame throwers out cruising as they hold up traffic,I want to check out fairmount first then head to the back road where the war zone is and stay untill I am ready to leave. If you cruise at the ducktail stay out of the back road and you will be fine but definately check out the back road as it where the fun is. Jeff

18. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Hi Brian, I checked out your websites and man, you've been busy! I saw my Merc and my Dad's Merc from last year! We had a really cool experience last year, it was the first time at the James Dean Run for the both of us and we both won "Top 20 Mercs". That was pretty cool. I've got a neat photo of Gene Winfield congratulating me and my Pop. That Winfield is a character! He's 80 years old and just as full of life as any teen-ager.
    Where and when would be a good place and time for a bunch of us HAMBers to get together? Post it and we'll be there.

19. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I'll be at the Ducktail. Hopefully make the early Duck Cruise on Thursday nite at the high school for the first time. Been going over to that area longer than I can remember but haven't been to Fairmont in years. I can't ever talk my daughter into leaving Gas City. There's alway too much going on and she just doesn't want to miss anything. As posted previously, Fairmont is more of a show with more fancy cars and the Duck is a little wilder with more cars that people use and have fun with. I quit going to Fairmont because you couldn't get around in the park, hopefully that's all changed. Both shows draw a lot of vehicles and both are fun in their own way. Also, you can camp at Gas City so it fits in the budget a little easier.

All this is great but first we have to go to the Rebel Run in Lima, OH. That has been evolving into a pretty good time.

20. I will be at the Ducktail.I have a 4 bay tent set up for pinstriping there.Come say Hi.

I don't go to the goldchainer fest at James Dean.I would rather have fun than see a butch of people setting in color matched chairs with the picture of their 51 merc on thier Ts.They never move away from the car they drove all the way from their enclosed trailer hooked to their caddy truck.

If you want to see the best swap meet,coolest cars and trucks,and go to a four day party with car people that you will enjoy.GO TO DUCKTAIL.Gene Winfield aways ends up at my tent early sat.to walk the swap meet area with my girlfriend and I

21. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

:eek: we have created a monster!!!!! grease your hair yet?:D :D

Oh you know Gene? i know Doug:rolleyes:

Dag (the other brother Darin:cool: )

22. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like killer-D has a meetin' place to me!

23. steveo10

steveo10

i'll be at the ducktail.

24. Depends on our schedule, but we're planning on a Saturday or Sunday trip up to the run. :)

25. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Is Jim coming with the Spam Trailer?

B:confused:B

26. Not sure yet. He might have a Model T tour that weekend. :confused:

27. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Man Killer-D, why don't say what you really think!

28. Gator

Gator

59 Elky and I are coming up from Nashville and are staying in Anderson. I'm driving the Caddy up, not sure what Jason will take yet. We'll be at the Ducktail most of the time but we'll hit J.D. too.

29. You guys can meet at my tent anytime.I am in the vendors area at Ducktail across from Brockmans Mellowtone.Just set up a time I have the place.I have plenty of room.

By the way Dag,I don't have enough hair to grease :(

30. We've gone to the James Dean Run every year since 1990. Time for a change, we are heading for the Ducktail Run this year.

Will probably go to Fairmount out of curousity.

Anybody know if the Dean Run will have Winfield, Ballion, Barris, Alexander Bros this year?