Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T, do all kids go braindead at 14?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sorry about the rant but I hafta to vent.

I have a good kid but since he hit high school his brain has shut down completely. Just this week, we have 3 missing assignments, a lost $750 retainer and a couple of failing grades. The kid has never made a B in his life until this last month.

I think a frontal labotomy may be in order.....maybe one for myself as well.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The answer is YES! But most recover some sense of humanity in 5-10 years.

3. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

sounds like my kid...retainer and all! cept it was his senior year. I thought I was going to kill him his senior year. It was hell but I got him through it.

somewhere in high school our kids are removed and replaced with monsters...somewhere after high school reality sets in and the monster leaves (or so I am told).

I never thought of trying a frontal labotomy. I was thinking excorsist for sure though!

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Great. I've got this to look forward to...

-Brad

5. BinderRod

BinderRod

The stupid streak starts at 12 and last till they are out of the house!!
    1 down and 1 to go!!

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

Just about the same time the HORMONES KICK IN!! LOL

7. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hahahahahaha........No it starts at 12!! At least that what I think about my son from time to time. Remember what your dad said: "If your head wasn't attached you'd lose that too!" :D I love my old man, I miss him too. -stick

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

You're not alone brother, lost it at 12 or 13 , got some of it back in grade 10, just graduated in June with good grades.But now I'm waiting for the rest of the brain to reform so she thinks before she does dumb shit. I won't bore anyone with details but it's startin to piss me off

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

yeah my dad would have got a kick seeing me deal with my kid.

my mom has to remind me sometimes...remember when you were his age.

10. sololobo

sololobo

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Welcome to "parenting young adults" you really have to take time with them and talk stuff over on a frequent basis. Each one is really individual so please don't compare, I didn't think I would get thru it, and if I had it to do over I would pay more attention to them. Just a lot of blah, blah, blah,from me but know you are not alone!!Good Luck folks, you can do it!!!_Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yes. Teenagers are idiots. I'm just now coming out of it (I think) and I'm 27...

He should be getting interested in fire pretty soon. Be prepared.

12. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Maybe it's just because he's in high school now, a little bit different atmosphere. :confused: I never really had that problem with grades, but I did break my retainer a few times. It didn't cost $750 though, it was free. :D When I did screw up, a good sit down talk and my dad putting the fear of God in me always worked. Maybe that could work or your plan should. :D If you need anything from a punk kid's perspective let me know. ;)

13. All this teenaged idiocy must be a recent development because my friends and I were all pillars of the community and straight A students in high school. It was like an episode of "Father Knows Best" without all the drama.

My eldest will be 12 in October and the dumbassedness is starting to sprout. He's a good kid but it's the nature of the beast.

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I had three daughters, be glad you have a boy,and remember when your boy is not screwin around at home he is probably at some girls house!
    I WAS SCARED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR 8 YEARS.

15. Judd

Judd

Mike I grew up in South Chicago and we must have hung out together! LOL.

Brad its worse you get to pay for college also.

16. skratch

skratch

uhm ..what ?dude...pass the bong ..lets go to the mall..hey,can i skate you deck ?what ?dude,my dads car is bad ...what ?uhm...what ?dude..i just got caught in my girlfriends closet..her mom knew i was there...uhm..what ?dude..my girlfriend just caught me in her bestfriends closet..she knew i was there...uhm..what...dude,i can't wait to get a car.. ?fuck ! that was killer ollie ...your girlfriends kinda hot..

these were my favorite things to say..and do when i was 14..

some thing changed a little...

no more bong hits,no more skating,no more mall...

your girlfriend is still hot....

i still can't wait to get another car..

17. guiseart

guiseart

yes, yes they do... it's a fact, and scientific studies prove it... new chemicals running thru blood, hormones raging, brains growing (in size, not in knowledge), bodies stretching... freaks them out... hang in there, have patience, just make sure he runs with a good crowd and your there to talk.

18. Notorious

Notorious

My son was a total rebel by that age and was probably Karma for my own youthful behavior. However, he turned out fine and is in fact someone of whom I am quite proud, considering he came from me! :D My daughter was always pretty level headed and not really much of a problem, even in the difficult years. That was probably God's grace because I'd have killed her boyfriends if she'd have went out with guys who were like I was at that age. ;) I always liked her boyfriends, almost w/o exception and she ended up marrying a guy who is my second son.
    Be patient, temper firmness with love and all will turn out well. As had been said, this too shall pass.....

19. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Ya know, my daughter was never a huge problem in her teen years. She got into her share of shit, but nothing that I couldn't handle. But in later years I've learned that Linda did more than a bit of 'flying under the radar' and got by with quite a bit more than I'd thought. With my granddaughter Waldo just turning 9 on Sept. 10, it won't be too awfully long until it'll be HER turn in the barrel...:)

Jan...back like a bad penny!

20. wayfarer

wayfarer

Does he have a new group of friends? I've worked with high school aged kids for 11 years now and falling in with the wrong group can be the worst thing to happen to a kid. Sometimes they never recover. A sudden drop in grades is a good indication that they may have fallen in with a group that makes bad choices.

21. Gator

Gator

I have a good friend who's about 30, I think his brain stopped developing at 14.

22. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Some kids start earlier, some last well past their Teens.
    Just look at some of the questions and answers on here.

The Duh Factor has been getting worse since Ralph Nader took up his Safety Cause.

Warning Labels are interfering with the process of Natural Selection, in otherwords too many Lifeguards in the Gene Pool.

I stopped making Babies when I got a good look at myself.

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Only if they make it that far!

24. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Nope. They don't go braindead. They just don't listen the first, second, or third time. They seem to listen the second time when I say something though. I guess teachers have more pull than parents do sometimes. I could also be that I'm not too far out of their age range.

25. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I can't say about brain dead for certain,LOL,but I've got a 13 year old with a lip on her that won't quit.(sigh)
    She is still doing well in school and in the Jr Honor Society and all that happy horse shit , but without a doubt sometimes I still wanna kill her.;)
    The boys are callin' now and I can't legally own a gun due to my past "Braindeadness"( is that a word?)
    I just hope that that old sayin' about the sins of the father being revisited don't hold true in my case or else I'm in for a hell of a ride, X's 3.EEEEKKKK!!!!!
    Hang in there Chris.

26. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Root, Having raised three daughters thru out the teen years, the answer is YES. Like has been said, they do come around. I always told my kids, "you can't screw up bad enough for me not to love you, but not likeing you or grounding your ass is an entirely different story, still love ya though. We got through it, You will too. Call me if you need to vent lol.

The circle of freinds is something to be aware of for sure. Sudden changes can mean outside influence.

Chin up dude.

GV

27. starion88esir

starion88esir

Hahaha, that's only if the kid is a fucking sheep. I love it, blame it on the friends. What ignorant shit. Everyone makes their own choices. I know I did.

I hung out with all the crowds, but fit in most with the stoners (because most of them were also skaters) and I guess I was as close to punk or goth as my school new. I've never done any drugs, never smoked, I skipped school, because I hated it. I "lost" homework because I was not going to do it. The teachers didn't and don't care. I was bored and there's nothing I hate more than being bored. I made my own fun, did what I wanted. School was a hangout when I did go. Too much drama, who was trying to fuck who, who made the big play at the game, etc. etc. I finally dropped out, best damn thing I ever did. Got a job, made money and finished all four years of high school in less than a year going two nights a week for four hours, teaching myself. If it was the crowd I was in I'd be a fucking stoner that went to school to get fucked up, and passed because the teachers didn't want to see me again next year.

Eventually the parents need to realize, that some kids just don't care. It's not the group they're in, it's them. Admit it and then you can start to fix the problem. Convince them it's the friends and nothing will ever change. For others, such as myself, school was not the best direction, not conventionally anyway.

Nothing will happen so long as people listen to counselors, fucking ball up, and talk to your kids. I don't mean half assed either. Talk to them like real people, because they are. At 14 and in public school, they know a lot more than most give them credit for. Turning a blind eye and shifting blame will not help them. I see the youth of today getting fucking dumber and dumber. Talk to your kid and find out the problem, don't ask guys on a car forum, where most of them haven't been in school for close to a decade if no more.

28. 6inarow

6inarow

The $750 retainer bothers me. Can I do the next one for half that?

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sure I may pull his teeth with pliers and send them to you.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow. All I have is a dog to look out for.

Speaking from my youth... there may be nothing you can do, other than keep an eye out for "weird" friends or crowds and ask what's going on every once in a while. My parents kept an eye out to make sure I wasn't going to get REALLY screwed up, but otherwise, they just let life kick me in the ass when I got stupid. It worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.