Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic request: "all business" interiors, vintage racers, etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Sep 14, 2007.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to be thinking more and more about floors, doors and dashes in the next 6-months or so. Would really like to see some interior shots of cars that are all business inside! No comfort, I guess you could say. Exposed everything, gages where they need to bee seen, floors, seats, door panels, etc. etc.... you get the idea. Traditional stuff, not new drag cars or Nascar stuff.

Thanks!

Scooter

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Example...

[​IMG]

Early european racers had some good stuff too, I think...

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The aircraft stuff may not be what you're really after, but the rest is applicable. Here's the work we did on Back Seat Betty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. eh, not so much an interior shot as a dash shot...

[​IMG]

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YESSSS!!! That's EXACTLY the stuff I want to see! Thank you!

KEEP 'EM COMIN'!!!

BTW Django, I think about that car a lot! Very well done!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a car, but influential just the same!
    [​IMG]

7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Modified roadster...

Attached Files:

8. ok, but i gotta warn ya it's pretty sweet...no underhoodshots, though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW it was at a vintage hillclimb in Algonquin Illinois so we got to see it tear ass a little. I got all wet over it so I couldn't get action shots.

9. You guys need to check out this book I bought a while back at Chapters called "Dashboards" by David Holland - it was on the discount table ($5 if I remember correctly). It is a very high quality publication, about 225 pages, mostly captioned full page images of vintage car dashboards and details - covers everything from early Ford stuff to exotics like Ferraris, Cords, Duesenbergs, Hispano-Suizas, Astons, Rolls, etc. It really focuses on the unique details of each mark. Appears to be mostly unrestored originals used for the photography. I would scan some pics but I don't want to damage the beautiful perfect binding - here's the front cover though (image copyright Colin Turner). If I can find another copy I'll get my local print shop to cut the binding off so I can scan some pics. Great for ideas for the next project.

Steve

Attached Files:

10. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I have this book, and it definitely worth taking a look at. You can borrow it next time you come into town. (in exchange for the little books :D)

--Andrew

11. cruzr

cruzr

my track roadster

Attached Files:

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Thats by far the coolest interior I've ever seen. I love that look!!

16. Everybody knows you didn't build that car, this guy did.;)
    [​IMG]

By the way, nice job.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

I saw this 28 at the VSCDA Races last weekend in Elkhart Lake, WI

[​IMG]

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Not really racy, but definitely no frills --

Attached Files:

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

To me personally, the "aircraft themed" interiors can get an "art car" vibe real fast...

If you look at the vintage cars of the period you're shooting for, you'll likely notice that only pure single-use race cars use the stripped aircraft elements in their interiors. These cars had one 'bomber' seat usually in the middle and very little else.

If the car was dual use it had as much interior comfort as made sense. Not high-dollar but not 'stripped' either.

My advice would be to study pictures of european sports cars of the era you're shooting for. I dig the 'Minimalist luxury' of those cars.

Think of a horse racing saddle... Top grain leather and materials but no "extras."

It's possible to completely blow the "vintage feel" of a car even if you're using all vintage parts.

I think the '48 Jag interior below is what the guys of that era would have been shooting for in all but the most pure race car.

Attached Files:

20. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

It's hard not to get carried away and get cluttered with details.
    Early Miller's etc always had cool dash boards etc..

Attached Files:

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! I agree! You and I are on the same plane for sure! I don't really like "theme cars" per say, because they often make us forget that it's a CAR instead of what it's being made to look like. Not to say that the creativity, fab work, etc. isn't TOP NOTCH... just not my bag for what I'm trying to do with my car. I'm not a big fan of EXTRA stuff that isn't needed that is there just for looks. I would prefer that everything be functional in the car. If it's there, there is a reason it's there and it does something to help operate the car.

Now, with that being said, minimalist can be handled in modern day billet interiors with hidden crap all over or it can be handled the tradional way like we're talking here, where everything is there where it can be reached and used with ease to operate the car. The reason it look minimal inside is because there is a minimal amount of stuff to turn on or off, look at, touch and feel... We all understand that though. Just flapping gum and reinforcing the subject.

With all that being said, I think my interests fall with a minimalist feel created by LESS STUFF and whatever comforts in the car styled after European sports cars from the late 50's early 60's. I'm thinking just a few switches, simple dash with all the required gages needed to run the car and monitor the engine, no extra metal or storage consel (no cup holders), bomber styled seats (probably of my own design to work with the rest of the car outside) and seat padding will resemble simple, black rolled and stitched cushions on the back and in the butt. Simple steering wheel, simple door panels, simple dash, simple, simple, simple.... The only place I'm thinking of getting out of the simple catagory is in the floor itself just because I need some access panels. Panels will probably be screwed to the floors using button head screws or something simple looking with soft appearances.

WHOA! That's too much talking before my second cup of coffee! :eek: Didn't sleep well last night, so I found myself thinking about the Model A quite a bit. Didn't help me sleep any better, that's for sure! LOL! :eek:

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I guess that is directed at me... everything in that car functions. EVERYTHING.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man! NO NO NO!!! Not directed at all! :eek: :( Sorry man!! I absolutely know 100% that everything in that car works! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that build!!! TRUST ME!! No insult intended!! Super sorry how that came across!! :eek: Was a general statement put out there in bad taste! Stupid me!!

BTTT for this subject and theme stuff very well SHOULD be posted here because the inspiration comes directly from the type of stuff I'm digging for here. I should clarify, if I haven't enough, that I have NOTHING against theme cars.

(I feel bad)

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No worries. :D There were no angry smilies there. ;)

25. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

What's the story on this car? Is it a period photo? I've got an NOS belt that I think is identical to that one (I need to get it out and look at it). It is date stamped 1941.

26. Don't know any details. I scanned it fom a book . It was showng the safety equp' of the day.

27. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

My lakes roadster interior.

Rex

Attached Files:

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Super nice Rex! WOW!