Register now to get rid of these ads!

Breaking stuff at the drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Went to the Hot Rod Reunion drags at Wichita today. On my first pass I did a one legged burnout, the traction lok needs clutchs. Staged, and when I hit the loud pedal there was a soft thunk and then it just reved. I thought it might have slipped out of gear but it was worse. The rear u-joint failed and took out the pinion yoke as well. Oh well. Looking at one of the posts you can see it was starting to go. At first glance the driveshaft look OK.

I'm bidding on a 31 spline traction lok on the bay. I've got the 31 splined axles needed and another short yoke. Wonder what I'll break next.

It was good to see and talk to the gasser gang from Oklahoma. Terry and Tsquared as well. Let's see if I can get the parts and get her back together for Tulsa on the 29th.

Attached Files:

2. MVM

MVM

I could make a list longer then most would want to read of stuff broken on the way to the track, at the track, on the track, and coming home from the track.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. haha

Good luck with getting her back together in time.

3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

you got a 9 inch in that thing?

4. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I assume you made it home ok kerry, sorry to see ya get drug outta there like that on a rope.............. the drags in tulsa have been moved i see tonight on there web site to Oct 20th.......... see ya there. sam<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left>Old Time Drags moved to Oct. 20 « on: September 08, 2007, 12:15:45 PM »
    </TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: smaller" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right height=20>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. Yep Nick, It's a big bearing 9" out of a 68 Ford pickup. Just won a new 31 spline US Gear posi for it on Ebay!

Made it home fine, thanks. All things considered, if something had to break, that was the right part, at the right time, in the right place. :)

6. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

You really need a detriot locker as a traction locker (aka lsd) will only last for a short time on a drag strip with any real power. How fast do you want to go? Hemi35

7. I'd like to get into the 11's. Problem is this isn't just a drag car. I drive the wheels off of it. I know a locker is the answer at the track, I just don't want to live with it on the street.

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

I watched you run at the Hamb drags and your coupe hauls ass for a street car. Your car was oviously setup pretty well to hold up as long as it did ,running that quick.Breakage is a bitch ,good luck with it.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's 2 ways to look at this

#1 It sux you broke

#2 Damn you're lucky, cause when the pumpkin breaks that bad it usually takes the transmission out too

10. Now I dont feel so bad breaking the Torque Arm on the T right before the drags!

11. Yeah shifty, I'm definitely going with #2.

Misery loves company, right Tman?

It's all good. I was planning on beefing stuff up anyway. I'll just do it a little sooner.

12. Yeah!

13. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Getcha a Detroit tru-trac.

14. I hear ya Dave. But... I'm cheap. I won a brand new 31 spline US Gear trac-loc shipped for $220. When I blow that up, the tru-trac is the next step.

I've got some 31 spline axles out of a 9 3/8 rear that are the right size, and another yoke so I should be good.

This might be twisted but I think it's kinda cool I have enough power to break stuff. :)

15. atch

atch

i'm lookin' forward to building a car that has enough power to break things.

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well as Lazlo Hollyfeld would say, " I am both happy and sad for you!"

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now you truely recognize the rub of racing your street car. WHEN you break it 400 or 3000 miles from home, it really sucks. You can go slow and always make it home, or you can go fast and take the risk of walking back home to Kansas..or S Carolina or wherever..

Yes, a blown Hemi is taking a chance..

How did you get her home??

-Abone.

18. chevy gasser51

chevy gasser51

what sort of problem are lockers on the street?
    The noise ?

19. Tow rope. :) I know I'm pushing it. I still want 11's.

I took a closer look at my driveshaft at lunch. It took a couple of good licks. I have a beefier one I made first with a bigger ujoint at the back than the yoke I had at the time. I did some figureing and I think I can use it. Gonna have to get it balanced though.

I had several guys offering up yokes and the like. This was damage I could have repaired and driven home if I was a long way from home. Who knows aboiut the next time though. Fun, huh?!!! ;-)

Noise, getting on the gas in a corner and having it lock up, rain etc.

20. chevy gasser51

chevy gasser51

sounds like it could be fun

21. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

man I broke three time`s in a row at the drag`s a few year`s ago blew first gear out of the bottom of the five speed ! triple A`d it home, bought a tremic 6 speed ,that gave me another gear so I could
    put a 3.80 Detroit locker in the back and then it started bending 4 link`s and ripping the bottom of the frame off !
    we must be making progress ?
    bullet Prof again now !
    I think Ill buy some slick`s this year ? Ha...ha..

the Detroit locker`s are noisy as hell and clunk and sound like your breaking shit backing up , and driving around parking lot`s they where tires out quicker , and every time you shift and gas it it try`s to straighten you out, takes some getting use to , like leting of the gas in the rain when going in to a curve and feel that one tire slipping wahoo!
    not something I would put in a every day driver, unless it was mine .
    but man it`s worth it ! when you get on the track, the fucker locks when you give it the gas! pure hot rod sound`s to me.
    they make a air locker ,and a electric lock ,
    that would be the hot ticket just turn it on when ya wanna race

22. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kerry. i have a Winters track in my quickie. Also called tru-trak, gold-track or something like that.

No clutches, no banging locker..these things use helical gears that...that...well, I don't really know how the hell they do it.

There are some gears in there and they do stuff..Works GREAT. never hear it, never anything stupid in teh rain. Just 2 nice even long black marks.

Plus, they live for years under roundy round cars.

Not sure if there is such a thing for a 9in though..

Good luck, -Abone.

23. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

I sure wish I'd had my camera there to get a shot of Kerry's hot rod on the end of that rope. Just kiddin' ok?????
    Detroit does make a True-Trac for a 9" like you have in your quickie,Abone. They seem to be damn good and work well and last forever which is good 'cause they cost $$$$. But so does breaking far from home. I also believe in installing a "daytona" pinion support in any 9" that's getting power and abuse (yes that's YOU Kerry,lol) because it makes them twice as tough by not deflecting under shock loads. (yes that's YOU Kerry).
    You guys are making serious power.....gonna take serious parts behind it.

chicken (with a lil' old cadillac)

24. catman

catman
    from El Reno

Sorry 'bout the breakage Kerry, and glad to hear you made it home also good to see you and that blown hemi at wichita...

25. The tru-trac would definitely be a winner but for the fact I've been spending to freely and just can't afford it. Springing for the two rusty hemi's in Texas and their future ride here with Ben puts a serious kink in the wallet. That being said I am upgrading... just not all the way.

I hear you Terry. Read the previous paragraph. Heavy sigh...

Yeah, it was good to get to talk with you Catman.

26. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Two rusty Texas hemis? Dang,we didn't get to talk long enough at the drags.
    Did you hear that the Gasser guys (and a couple others) let me win the Hot Rod class? What a great bunch to race with.....sure was good to see everybody there.

chicken

27. BTW, is the aluminum Daytona pinion support ok for the street or do I need to be looking for the noduler one?

28. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

The aluminum support is good for street or drags. Install it with a crush sleeve eliminator kit (spacer and selective shims),and bolt it in with full-depth grade 8 bolts and the stock non-nodular housing is way stronger than it was in stock form.

chicken

29. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Go with the daytona or alloy pinion support & also pray hard your standard 9inch case doesnt do this![​IMG]