Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Funny things we did when we where little

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorksrock, Sep 8, 2007.

1. customcory

customcory

I use to get so pumped up on my uncle's car magazines and model cars when I was little, it caused two incidents. First , my dad use to drag race a little, before I was born ,at Shuffletown or Pumpkin Center N.C.. So I asked him where are all the trophies you won, after hearing some drag stories one night. He said I would find them, even after they were hid, and break the car off the top of the trophy and play with them. I don't remember doing this so I was pretty young.
    The second incident happened when my dad and I were setting up at the Charlotte coliseum for a ICSA show. I could see the Promotions truck outside with the various wild show cars of the day painted on the side . This was about 64-65, and since I was already influenced pretty heavy by magazines by then, I was familiar with Ed Roth and Barris etc. The only car I remember from that show was the Futrista by Darryl Starbird, the three wheeled bubble top creation. Well, I remembered seeing that at my uncles house on the cover of Car Craft. So, when I walked into the coliseum, right after Dad says to not run around, I spot the Futrista in the middle of the floor with no display or ropes or anything set-up yet. I don't know what was going thru my 5 year old brain, but I made a bee line for that car becaused I recongnized it, more than anything else. I went right up to it and it was so low that I leaned up against it and gave it a big "hug" with my hands on the bubble top. I was rubbing around on it when I heard somebody yell, "GET THAT KID OFF THE CAR!". I don't remember what happened after that, but I remember it to this day , and it brings a smile to my face.:D

alanp561 likes this.
  2. billjoyal

billjoyal

I was about 6 or 7 with my older brother he was 8 or 9, we were in the car, mom went into the bank to cash her check. well she had an old ford wagon, unsure of the year but it was in the late 60's early 70's. I opened up the glove box to see if there was any gum, mom always had gum in the glove box. Well needless to say, no gum but found this box of things with strings hanging off em (tampons) and thought they were rockets. So we rolled the windows down and blast off. well we were down to the last one, and mom came out. She started yellin at us asking us what we were doing and we didnt know what was wrong. We were like mom where did you get these cool rockets? we want more! She was sooo embarrassed no wonder the old guy next to us was laughing his ass off!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Raise the barrel up to account for a lot of drop over that distance, fired, and hit the poor broad knocking her over! Didn't stick around even though we had cover...but it was a good 1000 ft shot!!!!"

1,000 FT with a BB gun!?

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

When I was ten my dad would let me steer his pickup on the highway while out in the desert. While we were helping his cousin move he thought it would be funny if we passed him on the highway while in cruise-control with my dad in the passenger seat, me standing on the drivers seat so I could see. Freaked his cousin out!

Also when I was 12 or so I decided to one-up my pyro friends. They had just figured out that you could burn things with hairspray and a lighter. So I took my super-soaker and used my dads drill tap set to thread a brass tip on the end. Used the igniter off the bbq. And fill that bad boy with some chemicals from the garage (gas and ?). The resulting flame thrower shot flames like crazy. My mom freaked out and tore my ass apart. My dad thought it was awesome. I snuck out of my room a little later to find my mom yelling at my dad. I guess he was playing with it too.

alanp561 likes this.
  5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Me and my best friend made some rubber band guns when we were about 7 or 8 years old (1977/8). It was a foot long strip of scrap wood from Dad's basement, and a clip-type clothes pin...put the rubber band on the end of the stick, pull it back to the clothes pin and lock in place. It didn't take too long for me to figure out that if we taped the rubber band to the end of the stick, we could load small rocks into it and use it like a hand-held rock launcher.
    At which point we went out into the street and hid behind a big evergreen tree, shooting at cars and missing them...except one blue piece of shit Dodge Dart with a green front fender, being driven by a long-haired hippie.
    I can still here the sound of that rock hitting the car door. The dude locked up the brakes and skidded to a very noisy halt. Jimmy (my friend) bolted. The dude threw the car into Reverse, floored it and did a backwards smokey burnout out, slamming to a stop right in front of the tree I was now watering.
    He leaned over, looked at me, rubbed his two index fingers together in the "tisk-tisk little boy" sign, smiled and drove down the road.

I think I might have passed out right about then.

-Brad

alanp561 likes this.
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was about 6 or 7 (1952 or '53), my folks, my brother & me went to the sea shore for a camping vacation in a '48 Buick Super. I picked up a couple of clams and hid them in the trunk for souveniers. Next day when we were driving and the temp was in the hi-80's or so, the rottenest odor imaginable filled the car. I tried to pretend that I didn't smell it, but it got so bad we had to evacuate the car. My dad emptied the trunk (all full of camping gear, suitcases, etc.) and found the clams. I tried the "Not me !" gig, but got my ass warmed over pretty good.......while my brother rolled on the ground in laughter.

7. das imp

das imp

I was told that when I was four and we lived on a army base , I would mount the electrolux vacuum , sans hose , and ride off into the woods with the neighborhood girls and get them to strip off and pretend they were wood nymphs ! Then , while they were running around hiding and waiting for me to find them , I would collect up all there clothes , go home , and put theme in the garbage can ! When questioned about this , my reasoning was , that if they were naked , they would have to stay there and I wouldn't have to go looking for them all the time !
    It must have made sense to me.........but then I was four !:rolleyes:

8. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Mom's favorite story of me was that I would take a screwdriver and stick it into a wall outlet. It would knock me backward and I would get up and do it again.

9. When I was 3 & 1/2, standing in the car seat by my dad, we rode by the Chevy dealer to see the new cars. One was outside on the walk and dad said he didn't know if he liked it, I said "I do, daddy,I do" and he said "sure you do", but I really did, still do, don't you?

10. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I took a blue ball point pen and made a mural out of the entire tan-colored vinyl back seats in Dad's new Cougar. I don't remember anything after that.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Really late at night we used to tie heavy string across the road from trees and then tie a rag in the middle. When cars were coming home they would see the string at the last minute and slam on the brakes. Afterward they would realize what it was and drive on thru. It would go over the top and reset for the next unsuspecting victims. We graduated from side roads to the main roads after a while. Same result but normally they would slide thru the string because of the faster speeds. Cops showed up a few times but we never were caught. For the finally we used bulk spark plug cable from a buddies house. His Dad worked for a VW dealer and had it at home. Anyway, tied it up high enough in the trees, called a taxi to a neighbors house and when the taxi came around the corner, ripped the advertisement sign clean off the top of that Checker Marathon. He saw us and chased the hell outta us for blocks between houses but didn't catch any of us. We had our fun and can't remember ever doing that again. Think we were about 14 or 15.:p

12. Buff

Buff

when I was three or four years old, my uncle was in his garage working on his modified asphalt stock car. Well I decided to help and put a bolt in every hole in the frame. When he would go around the track you could hear the rattle of the bolts. Sometimes they would fall out on the track.

13. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

when my oldest boy was about 3-4 he took more than a week to paint his pedal car International orange with a 1/2 inch wide model brush!I was out in the shop painting something and he wanted to help so I gave him a gallon of old paint and the first touch up brush I could lay my hands on ,set hid car up on a" lift" for him[a 5 gallon bucket] and told him to paint HIS car after that he wouldn't quit !when I quit work he had me clean the brush and every day I was out there he "worked" on his "hotrod" till it was all painted Highway truck orange and he actually did a pretty fair job of it!

14. El Gordo

El Gordo

Reminds me of camping with a buddies and his family when I was 10,
    We'd play "Vietnam" We'd put one inch round rocks in a line across the highway and hide in the tall grass in the ditch. When the rock were hit they'd shoot at us and zip right through the grass looking and sounding like bullets! An 18 wheeler would shoot at us 5 times. We had many close calls - one of them in the head would have killed a kid
    but dam it was fun!:cool:

15. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

Well, heres my personal favorite. We like to just refer to this as The Denny's incident #1. Not gonna get into details, but my 2 older sisters were SUPPOSED to take me to the bathroom. What happened next involved them coming back to the table without me laughing hysterically. While I sauntered through the restraunt with no pants screaming for my mom.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was about 10 I had an odd interest in letter boxes and collected them from the neighborhood, had about 20 before my parents found out. One of them still adorns the front of our old house.
    Me and a mate (We were about 12-15years old) would sneak out of a night and go 'Rocking' on some select houses, that is pelting the tin roof's with rocks. Always chose the local busy body's and angry people. Then snuck around for hours doing it again and again playing solder's. Moved on to rubber glove guns and latter butane powered potato cannons.
    Had the cops called most nights but never got caught, fuck I was lucky!!
    Who knew I did if for a living only shooting real weaponry some 8 years latter!

17. Corvette64

Corvette64

One time when I was about 2-4 yrs old my Dad was working under the hood of our 1953 Merc. I wanted to help too so I went in the house and started shoving fig newtons down the gas tank. Dad fished em out of there with a flashlight and a clothes hanger.

Also, same car, I also knocked out the tailights with a hammer.

18. erock805

erock805

Reading all these just reminded me of something I did. This is bad...I guess I was about 7 in Pueblo Colorado. This was in the mid 70s. We used to go over to some friends of the familys house routinely and I used to love to vist cause they had two older boys who I idolized. Anyway the boys and nieghborhood friends and I take a walk to the mall over the new overpass. The older boys squeeze the lexon glass on the rubber ball vending machine so I can get my little hand in there and pull ALL the ruber balls out. One of the other boys ran look out. Not such a big deal...but, we go back to the over pass...and yes spent who knows how long trying to hit cars with those little rubber balls...you could watch the and see if they would take the exit, so we felt pretty safe. I am conviced I am why they have fences on over passes now. Thanks god we didnt cause an accident or get caught.

19. We did something similar in the middle of the night, but used heavy nylon ropes taken from a construction site. Tied it low between two opposing speed signs across Wheeling Road with some good knots learned in Scouts. A car finally came through and it wiped out both headlights! Full brake lock ups sure sound loud at 3 am!

20. Yeah, I was a good shot. I had Daisey's best at the time - I think about 750 fps muzzle velocity. But think of it...that's just three quarters of the length of a drag strip. If you look down a track its not so unimaginable.

21. Lucky77

Lucky77

I was pretty little, still sitting in a booster seat at the local Elias Bros. Big Boy. When the waitress bent over to bus the table next to us I simply reached over and lifted up that red and white plad skirt to see what was underneath. Needless to say, mom was horrified and dad thought it was pretty funny.

22. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

My older brother used to mess with me so one day I tied a light but strong rope to the seat post on his bycycle and the other end to the 4x4 that held up the porch roof and tucked the rest neatly under his seat. Then I went into the house and fucked with him till he chased me. I ran outside and quickly got onto my bike and took off. So did he.... Yes, later he got even.

23. Lucky77

Lucky77

Haha, that's great! When I was in 3rd. grade I was showing my friend Chris how model rockets worked. Unfortunately we were in my bedroom right across the hall from my mom resting in her room. The wires were just touching the motor and not taped so I didn't figure it would launch. "You just turn this key and press this button." Yes, I launched a model rocket in my room. It didn't really make it off the launch pad, kind of went up in flames right in the middle of the floor. Luckilly the windows were open and there wasn't enough smoke to set off the detectors. Mom never even woke up.

24. 55olds88

55olds88

my bro and the neighbours kids painted their folks car with all the left over paint in their shed....... they were pretty happy.
    Me and the neighbours at a later house just managed to get paint all over ourselves, nt much fun getting it of us apparently.
    Probably the dumbest thing I ever did was lifting some of my mates dad's .22 ammo and throwing it on the road until such time as it landed on the det and went off, damn I was dumb, sure hope I'm better now :)

25. fugness

fugness

bwhahahahahahaha

26. awbcrazy

awbcrazy
    from Arvada, Co

when i was about 11 and my brother 8? , he would get into trouble at school or do something stupid that would otherwise get him in big trouble by our dad or mom. in order for me to keep my mouth closed, i would make him run up and down the street in broad day light completely naked.

when i was about 5 i pooped in the corner and blamed the dog.

at about 7 , if my brother ....3 years younger, made me mad...i would break his new toys that our grandmother bought us and then tell on him.

at about 9 years old , i guess i didn't realize i had a dingle berry when i was taking a bath. i felt it on the bottom of the tub and naturally picked it up. grossed out and didn't have anything to wipe it on....i wiped it on the side of the tub. my dad was pissed! i blamed my brother and he got whipped.

i could go on and on...... :p

27. You should offer to pay for some of your brother's therapy sessions. lol...

I still have a Radio Flyer 90 wagon that the handle broke off at the welds (back when they were steel) on the tongue - from riding it down the bank into the neighbor's yard. Eventually I taught myself to ride a bike the same way, using a bike I'd gotten from someone's junk day pile.

Which, as young as 9 or 10 I used to walk up and down the neighborhood bringing shit home. I once brought home an old shopping cart someone had put out. Had this idea to put a motor on it like a go-kart. I could be like a mile away from home, walking around looking at stuff - it amazes me now to think about. My parents I don't think had any idea, I'd just go outside and start walking. There was a Model T carcass in the back of the park down the road and I had the cowl top, dash, and steering from it all in our back yard.

Then some neighbors with a lot of shitty cars in their yard that I'd been up visiting accused me of taking some car keys to one of the cars. I had no idea what they were talking about, I hadn't taken any keys... so they came and took down my backyard "fort" and all the shit in it - including those T parts. I think the late-teen/early 20's son and his troublemaker buddy did that, they came at night and stole the stuff basically.

When we moved out I searched down the sides of one of the chairs to see if anything was in it and I found a set of GM keys I'd never seen before. Maybe I did take the keys and forgot...

28. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

In 1958-59 I used to hang about with some older kids across the street. I was 3.. We would go down the road a bit and play on an old Essex and other 20's cars laying in a paddock. .One of the kids produced a crescent wrench and proceeded to undo " things". I used to surprise my parents with the occasional distributor or carb.
    One day these older kids decided to build a boat, by bending a sheet of corrogated roofing iron in half length wise and nailing a peice of wood in each end.When it got hot in the middle of the day ,they got melted tar off the road and stuck it in the edges to seal it.
    Then we went to a pond and launched it,I was the 'crew ' and only passenger ,to see if it would float.
    The pond was a disused coal mine,and pretty fuckin' deep!.I can still see my old man yelling at me for being a stupid little bastard,meantime my ship mates had cleared out.:D:D

29. Rodmania

Rodmania
    from Norway

Haha, got a good laugh reading this thread!
    My parents told me that when i was about 3 or 4 years old i painted my pedal-car and all the bicycles in the garage with strawberry jelly. Maybe not as crazy as all the others in here, but i think i save the rest of my experiences until my kids are a bit older. Internet is open for everyone, and i don't want to give my son any ideas ;)

30. Frank Jonkman

Frank Jonkman

A few right off the top:
    -painted half of Grandpa's car, windows and wheels too, when he was in having a coffee with the paint supplies he had left beside the house touching up the siding.
    -never could figure out why gas melted model kits when used as paint stripper
    -hammered a screw driver into the ignition of my old man's truck, really I was trying to help by warming it up
    -used to ignite and burn just about anything
    -used to throw aresol cans into peoples fires at the river while they were fishing, then run like a banshee and wait for the excitement
    -at 8 years old, an old 9N was my method of transportation when mom and dad were not around
    -used to take the garden tractor apart every week of the summer
    -after my parents had bought me a new bike (5 spd), I quickly went to work modifying it with paint and adding a small tire to the front for the 'rake'
    -used to chase globs of steel around the concrete shop floor with a torch, took years to understand why the concrete was exploding

There are more...