Register now to get rid of these ads!

AC Systems by Luckys Rod and Kustom Review

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Antibilly, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Antibilly

Antibilly

Well we just got done with my AC install in the 63 Pickup!!!
    Heres a step by step picture procedure on what itll take

1st off youll need 500.00+ shipping for you AC kit from
    www.luckysrodandkustom.com ask for your HAMB discount and save. they have different sizes and prices for different models. see site for more info

2nd youll need to hire your own AC man or hire mine. He works cheap and even when he complains he mumbles and talks so low you wont even hear him. Prices subject to change. He is seasonal!! $100.00-$300.00. Sure I could do it myself. But I have a business to run and Im fucking lazy

3rd Kiss the UPS man and start sorting out your gear. taking pictures and day dreaming of a really COOL ride.

4th Youll need a hose crimping kit for your lines. They run approx $200.00 or rent mine.
    [​IMG]

kit include a simple wiring diagram and pretty picture to follow for us slow readers. Includes R134 amounts and such
    [​IMG]

Fittings and barbs for your lines
    [​IMG]

Condenser laid out and stacked onto the Radiator and Trans cooler. My did not include the zip tie mounting kit but they are cheap and at every auto parts store
    [​IMG]

Small Block Chevy Compressor Mount and Compressor Mounted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Condenser mounted and radiator reinstalled. AC lines being installed and run out to the Compressor. Minor cutting on the Radiator support to run the hoses through
    [​IMG]

Drier Installed and System wired. We wired the system through a
    relay (not supplied) and wired the electric fan motor (not supplied) to switch on when the system was turned on. Pulling all the air through the condenser possible.
    [​IMG]

AC handler and Evaporator box installed and cooling my hot sweaty Florida nuts down!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE you will need to vacuum your system down and charge the system with R134 Not included

They system seems to work great!! I have NOT been on a road test. But that will only make it cool quicker and colder. I have only the electric fan pulling air and the temp was down to 60 degrees in minutes!!!

After lunch we will leak test it again and shes coming home tonight after work for a road test!!

I will give my final opinion soon after a couple of weeks of living the cool life!!!

Great Job Luckys Rod and Kustom!!!

2. Very timely. I plan on adding AC to the 54 for Carla and lilT to cruise in!

3. Thanks for the tech.

4. Antibilly

Antibilly

Dont forget to drill a small hole in your floor pan for the AC Drain!!!

I had some Mustang dick pitch a bitch when we installed his OE AC system. He didnt care to have his stinky OE carpet drilled to make holes for his AC drain. after he paid up and was kicked out of the shop we figured he'd rather have a soggy moldy carpet and rusty pan..........Hmmm go figure

5. Tacson

Tacson

Do report back in a few weeks and let us know how it performs.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Please can you use me for the nipple test?

Thank you.

7. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I'm interested to hear how well it cools in the real world. Thanks for the update on the install. Mike

8. sawzall

sawzall

please report back soon..

9. Antibilly

Antibilly

Drove in this morning and had frost on the back window!!! good sign

10. Hey Mike, the link doesn't work.
    Tried doing a search and came up empty.
    Are they a vendor here on the Hamb?

11. I got to custom design my A/C kit from nostalgicairparts.com. This enabled me to put the biggest condensor and most appropriate sized items just for my application. Jon was very helpful and even exchanged a few things that didn't work for me. His prices can't be beat (I tried).
    Anyway, the system works flawless. Air at the vents is 40°!
    The problem however is my car is not interior finished and the firewall is still baremetal with numerous holes. The A/C doesn't stand a chance with the outside heat and engine heat all fighting to take over.

12. Tacson

Tacson

Lagrasta,

Post pictures when you can. I have talked to Jon a couple of times myself he seems to be a straight shooter.

13. Just a tip: Don't use those plastic zip ties to hold your cooler/condenser to your radiator. It's a nice way to shorten your radiator's life. Make some proper brackets.

14. Tacson

Tacson

Peddro,

Do educate. Is that due to weight? Thanks

15. Antibilly

Antibilly

yea Id like to hear why? Ive been using the zip tie hold downs for about 15 years and havent had a come back yet???

16. Antibilly

Antibilly

inside air temp of my cab was down in the 40's today!!!!!!

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I had one work loose, rubbed the core and made a hole. I think that if they stay tight they will be o.k. but I would be hesitant to use them.

Neal

18. Tacson

Tacson

Antibilly,
    Are you all still having temps in the mid to high 90's all day long? What kind of insulation do you have in your truck? Thanks

19. Antibilly

Antibilly

YES its way up in the 90's plus the humidity factor makes it around 105-110

I have some noise dampener in the floors and thats just about IT!!! dyno mat coming soon for the fire wall and such.

Im driving to St Augustine on the 28th in the afternoon. So the temps will be high and Ive got a 3 hour drive.

20. Tacson

Tacson

Please keep me informed. The old air brand unit in my 55' F100 has not done the job. Bought it used that is part of the problem. My cab is more insulated than a padded room. If you would send me updates on how it does thru the remainder of the cruisin season. Your door weatherstripping good and everything? Thanks Donald

21. These are really old pics. The system is now entirely hooked up and running. The condensor isn't zip-tied any longer either.

Attached Files:

22. What happened to the pictures?

23. Tacson

Tacson

24. kustomd

kustomd

Antibilly hows the system holding up now that its been awhile?

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This thread is 3 years old, many a thing has changed in that time.

26. kustomd

kustomd

I figured it has that why I was asking.

27. smokindave

smokindave

Since it is coming up on summer here and I now have a little boy riding in the back seat of my 51 I am curious about how this system is holding up. Also, what does it do to the operating temperature of the car. We get 105 degrees here easy in the middle of the summer.