Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso City Council Meeting 9-4-07

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalifCarl, Sep 4, 2007.

1. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Hey Blurr I'm sure i could get that number for you with a little effort!

2. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

That's a given! Fact is anytime your in town you guys are welcome.

It will be just a matter of how much time I will spend in Santa Maria. I didn't say I wasn't going, just not interested in cruise night, but Denise you being from Detroit should feel at home in Santa Maria! ;)

3. So, i take it you have a room at The "Inn" already?

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

I went into the Library to read my children some books mid day Saturday. I had absolutely no trouble getting in. :confused:

5. 49_Ford_PU

49_Ford_PU

Sorry to here about Paso guys. I used to live out in that area and loved the show. Santa Maria's not that bad, cool dirt track north of town, close to Pismo Beach and you can drive on the beach.

My how times have changed. I did a little research into the Kansas City Timiing Association (KCTA) and ran across an article about how the local Police / city gov. built the local drag strip to get the hot rods to stop racing on the street (just like Pomona). It would be nice see the police and rodders working together again to help solve problems.

Good Luck guys.

6. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Hahn certainly the horse is dead, maybe if we had all been beating the damn thing before it was dead we could have saved it.

The mayor said they forced Penny to hire professionals to run the show this year. If so how much did it cost and what did you get for it?

7. CosmoKat

CosmoKat

Not to mention the wine festival the weekend before Memorial Day. Lots of country folk out here getn into the Wine Business over the past few years. Raised poor, now hitn the upper middle class. There wont be another show. If there was another show it will replace the Jeans with Khaikis, Beer with Wine, Primer with Clear Coat, stealies with the billets.....etc

If you plan on Cruisn Broadway in Santa Maria next year on Sat. might want to stuff a loaded gun under the seat.

8. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

folks, Paso is over, now go book your rooms for Santa Maria and lets support Penny and WKC

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I attended WCK paso event back in 1989 and there were primered cars then !

10. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I seriously doubt that anything would have derailed this particular train-wreck.
    Each year, the city wanted more and more.
    The cruise cost the club $16,000 in extra police services. The club received no benefit from the cruise. (which was the cities idea)
    They did not force us to get professionals to "run the show"
    This year the city forced Penny to hire "professionals" to park the cars on Sat. morning. What we got for that was a shitload of guys sneaking in with last years window cards, less parking spaces on the lawn, and guys that didn't know the difference between a 65 Mustang and a 32 HiBoy.
    For next year they demanded (and was made quite clear that it was not negotiable)
    1. $35,000 up front with no specification for what we would get for our money.
    2. NO PRIMERED CARS. Only finished cars.
    3. NO Vendors
    4. A limit to 500 cars !
    So at 500 cars times $65 per car. That's $32,500. So right off the bat the club is supposed to lose money.
    It really is rather apparent that the city wants us to go someplace else so they can have another show of their own.
    Rumors have it they have already been talking to someone that organizes the Pebble Beach Concourse. They want a wine and cheese show with a handfull of cars.

Craig :cool:

11. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Now, can we PLEASE let this shit drop, and start focusing on having a good time in Santa Maria.
    I'm glad everyone cares so much, but at this point, talking about it is just wasting Ryan's bandwidth.
    It's like masturbation.
    It may feel good, but it's not producing anything.

Craig

12. 53chevy

53chevy

I think it's good to let some Hot Air out about this whole ordeal. Paso meant allot to people, me incl. What has always bothered me is that the cars I lust over, 40's and early 50's Customs were driven by your average guy, in most cases. Johnny Zaro and Al Andril just got discharged from Navy and had the Barris shop build two 40 Merc Customs in 47/48. Jesse Lopez was in the Army, I believe and Nick Matranga had to go serve time in the Korean war. Now these cars are for well-off it seems, making them exclusive. It shouldn't be.....

Ken

13. tisdelski

tisdelski

what are you guys going to hide at home ???

i`ve lived in santa maria for thirty six years, all this talk of crime here is way overblown. the rediculous talk of having to have your gun is exactly that . REDICULOUS. especially from two who live in the area.

i loved going to paso , and am bummed it will have to be moved, but that being said, santa maria will be just fine .

gary

14. I'd like to see "THAT" crowd pay $200+ a nite with a 3 nite minimum at the "Budget" Motels. Now, let's welcome the new adventure

15. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

califcarl, you have a cruzin buddy for friday night.

16. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

i honestly can not wait...I love SM. I was born in SM. Went to Miller school k-2nd (school is near the fairgrounds as is the house I grew up in...gives me an excuse to go look at them).

Here is a pic of the fairgrounds. looks decent enough. I believe the dirt area in the fairgrounds is where they have rodeos.

Attached Files:

17. brewsir

brewsir

Paso was always a father daughter weekend for me and my 14 yr old...she camped at camp Roberts many years,then in a tent at the dogshit acres where the guy let a bunch of us set up tents in the grass (I think it was the dog walk area the rest of the year) We are bummed to see it go,but it really isn't gone, just moving down the road a little. No big deal to me as it is about the drive,friends,cars and fun weekend....who really cares where it is?
    On a different note it's too bad the police are so damn lazy they don't want to have to actually "police" as they are paid to do.....isn't that the purpose of having a police force....to catch the bad guys and enforce the rules? So if they have a day when they don't get any calls or write any BS tickets do they turn that days pay back in???? Paso really should get yourselves a new police chief,and city council members....thats the nice thing about "elected officials" we can get them fired for not really doing their jobs....just don't vote for them.

18. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Craig thanks for the further information. The facts that the city is floating around just doesn't match what you have enlightened us with. The swirl, sip and spit squad as pointed out in Mr. Strong's form letter is saying WCK was only paying $1500 for the use of the park. No mention was ever said about $16,000 for additional cruise night law enforement.

Our local news (KSBY 6) has been carrying this story for the last few days and they are obviously siding with the city in their reporting. Stating that the city wanted to negotiate with WCK and never expected to enforce their first demands. LOL Just a bunch of lying sacks. As Brewser suggest it's now a voting matter and therefore the horse is not dead.

OK the WCK Paso show is dead, that at this point is not in question. But if we as a group don't learn from it and just sweep it under the carpet it's going to happen again and again.

Just an additional note: The same KSBY has a poll going "Do you want the Paso show to continue to be in Paso" at last count it was over 82% in favor. So it's not the locals who didn't want the show. It's was just the select few.

Craig I would love to have copies of this stuff for future election purposes.

19. The Blurr

The Blurr

Thats fine for you to say let this shit drop. You live in NorCal "510" (bitch'in for you) but I live here and I am fucking pissed this happened. The more info that is passed around on this topic and the more that is learned the better we will be prepared if anything like this happens again. So you can focus on your masterbation or what ever it is you do and you CAN move on to a differant topic if you like.:)

20. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

What does where I live have anything to do with it.:confused:
    I'm one of the guys who works to put on this show.:eek:
    It means as much to me as it seems to matter to anyone in Paso Robles.
    Where were your voices when they were planning this shit?
    Did you vote for this clown?
    Did you approve these changes?
    Don't take it out on me or the HAMB. Focus your anger on your city council that fist fucked you in the ass when they caused the move.

Craig:cool:

21. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Craig :cool:[/QUOTE]

Heck Craig we still don't know what really happened and we surely would have been there had we been included before all this went down.

Not one word was let out until it was all said and done by both sides.

I'm not mad, I want to get even!

22. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I'll give you $50 if you give him a pie in the face on television:eek:

23. The Blurr

The Blurr

I am sorry for the misplaced anger. I thank you very much for the show. But to answer your questions the city did not give us a chance to voice our opinion on the matter. No I did not vote for the clown. No I did not approve of these changes. I am not trying to take anything out on anyone here or the HAMB itself. I just don't want to give up and take an ass fucking so this is why I am still talking about what has happened, to get all the facts I can from everyone here. I am surprised by your get over it attitude. Is that simple just to leave a 26 year tradition? If so that is fine. I for one cannot forgive and forget that as fast as others. So again I apologize no hard feelings.

24. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

It's all good bro.
    I am aware that the towns people are for the show.
    At least if you believe the poll on KSBW channel 6. Right now it's 80% keep and 20% get rid of.
    Believe me, this move feels like a divorce, or a death in the family. Something that is out of your control but still has a life affecting impact. I've been going to Paso every year for 20 years.
    It hurts like hell, but the world just keeps on turning.
    What's done is done.
    There is no chance for us to go back to Paso, so I want to focus all my energy on the future.
    Look forward to seeing ya in Santa Maria.

Craig :cool:

25. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

Maybe we should have let groucho bring his vette and George barris Bring all his new kustom cars lololololol

26. cruzr

cruzr

its done, over kaput.......lets move on with some positive talk about next year and Santa Maria the "New Horizon".

Hell i got my reservations made for 3 days already at the Santa
    aria Inn............cant wait untill its here !~!

27. oldguy829

oldguy829

two different points of view, both right.
    the show is over, move on and put your energy into the future.
    But for the residents of Paso, its a different deal. something stinks, and you need to find out what it is. I served 4 terms on our city council, and a couple of things dont add up. What is the ex police chief doing in the middle of this? Obviously he has an agenda.
    Why was this not brought up for discussion, and input recieved from the community, before action was taken? this was not an emergency/priority issue? Whenever the council makes a sudden move, without community input, then backs it up with Bogus justification, your problem is bigger than the car show.
    I know nothing about Paso, but I smell long term incumbants who "know whats good for the community" or a takeover by new people who intend to remake it, in their image. My prediction: If you don't get to the bottom of this, years from now you will look back and realize it was part of a bigger game.

28. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Does Santa Maria have a Library with a front door we can block?

29. tisdelski

tisdelski

ha !!!

actually no one here reads, but we do have a new library being built right now.

gary

30. CosmoKat

CosmoKat

Has EVERYTHING to do with it!