Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airbags With Bump Stops? Can Anyone Help Please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbthebarber, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

Hi folks, after putting my 58 Continental ( which rides on airbags ) back onto 14 inch wheels & also radial tyres ( WHAT a better ride!! ) I have lost about 3 inches in height & henceforth if I pop an airbag on the front suspension I'm gonna lose my transmission cooling pipes & heaven knows what else! Trying to figure out what to do for the best when someone said that airbags are available with built in bump stops to stop car singikng too low? Is this true & if so could anyone point this UK er in the right direction please??
    Many thanks,
    Steve B

Attached Files:

2. chevymike

chevymike

3. slammy

slammy

I don't know about the bump stops, but that is an incredible photograph. (Bitchin' car too).

4. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Slambags have internal bumpstops in them.

5. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

THANK YOU Chevy Mike & Cleatus, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for, cheers. Thank you also Slammy, glad you like...photography's a hobby that also pays sometimes as am doing some magazine stuff, I took that shot in South east England outside an old run down garage, here's another from same shoot.
    Cheers to you both,
    Steve B

Attached Files:

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

personally i wouldn't rely on the airbags with internal bumpstops...a better solution would be to fab up some new cups to mount the bags, to regain that 3" of suspension you lost going to shorter tires, and add some external bumpstops.

7. alteredimage

alteredimage

A slam bag compressed is 3" if your bag right now doesn't colapse to that hight ( I think a firestone 2600# is 2.8") you really are not gaining anything. A better choice would be an external bump stop or build a bigger bag cup.
    Josh

8. MVM

MVM

My guess would be to make some external bump stop out of polyerethane. Any decent machine shop should be able to do a quality job with specs provided.

9. smashingchuck

smashingchuck

do the right thing and put the proper height cup in, then while your at it put in an adjustable external bump stop.

10. james

james

I saw a car once that had bumpstops on big all thread going to a threaded bracket on the frame. You adjust them to keep you above scrub, but if you ever want it to lay out at a show you just loosen em and raise them up.

11. woolus

woolus

a friend popped a bag in his 63 chevy belaire and he knew about ti pretty quick. needed a new gearbox xmember but everything was repairable.

he didnt have much luck with that car. 1 thing broke after another...

12. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

Thankyou fiolks, I reckon extending the bag cup s the only way because as some of you rightly point out, the collapsed state of Slam Bag is only about 3/8 higher than Firestone. Many thanks for confirming my thoughts.
    Steve