Register now to get rid of these ads!

I know it's been done before, but what's a nice place to live

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sawzall

sawzall

with your degree and exp.. I'd look around pittsburgh pa.

(it was recently voted the most liveable city, whatever that means.)

I took a class (robotics) this summer through carnegie mellon university. there are a TON of high tech robotics (and the like) corporations in the region, and just think..

you'd be that much closer to hershey..

2. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

yeah ariz is hot but i wouldn trade the coldest day in the midwest for the hottest day here. the car deal is great. no rusty vehicles to deal with and houses are reasonable. not all of az is hot, prescott,flagstaff, plenty of variety here. mountians and desert.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

SoCal. Great car scene and cruising for almost 365 days a year. Minus side is cost of housing. When I moved to Torrance 15 years ago, my house is a 4 bedroom 2 bath, 2 story. $300K. Now homes in my area are $900K.

4. purple

purple

Wow, the prices have jumped a ton up here, but still are cheaper than what the city folks have. North of town, across the street from my in laws, is a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage on a 1/4 acre with a shop for $290K, and if you look hard you can find better deals.

5. Ah, California. Pretty good in Los Angeles county. Press one for English…

6. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

MOVE HERE! Seriously! I dont know what kind of jobs you can get and its not much warmer but it is near St.Louis. Im sure you could find a good job. Really dude, it would be fun.

7. Jack

Jack
    from Austin Tx

Austin is the place. Decent housing prices,live music 7 day's a week, lot's of cool cat's, good grub, Lonestar Roundup. The list goes on and on.

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

North Carolina. preferrably the western part. i've been all over. came here intending to go out west again at some point. lived on both sides of the state. the coast is nice but i grew up on the gulf so the coast is just the coast to me. moved to the mountains 5 years ago. i LOVE it here. my nearly 1800sqft 3/2 2 car garage on 1/2 acre was $135,000 2 years ago. the house across the street is just a little smaller than mine size wise and for sale for $142,000 right now. i live 2 miles outside the city limit but can be at the local mall and food joints within 10 minutes EASY. lots of people live here and work in the Charlotte area which is about 40 miles away. the coast is 4 hrs. atlanta is 3.5-4. asheville is an hour from my driveway.

the only other place i've considered for a while is Austin,Tx but i don't see it happening...ken....

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

10. dont come to orange county..........in fact take some people out. this is like the dumping ground for every shithead who thinks they're some kinda super special rockstar hottie actor.....never seen so many outta state license plates adapt the "o.c" lifestyle so quickly.......goddamn i hate people. 20 years to retirement and everyday i feel like my mind is being slowly posioned by the vapidness. i was looking to move last year to grover beack or arroyo grande.....but then i got hired fulltime. so i put up a large fence in front of my house (fortress of solitude) and here i dwell.

life is peachy :)

11. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

You should come to Michigan....if you can find a job. If you are in desire for some old towne country living, I know of a tier one supplier (automotive) that is going up near me. Theres not much of a car scene....but theres me. If interested PM me.

12. Spike!

Spike!

Johnny Sparkles needs to be in Pennsylvania. You could be my friend and we could start a car club called the Sparkles(tm) and we could have car club jackets with glitter. Please pick Pennsylvania Johnny Sparkles.

Thank you,
    Spike

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

ink... Charleston is not a bad town. Vought Aircraft is building bodies for the new 787 down here and Force Protection is building those bomb proof transporters for the troops so there are at least two companies that are busy.. plus FlamedAbone needs someone to hang with now that I am leaving... no snow here either

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I don't mean to be a wise ass but, how do you afford a house costing 710 grand ?
    I can't even imagine what real estate taxes would be.
    A very nice ranch style house next door to me is $120,000 and I think that is ridiculous.
    Wow am I out of touch!

And I want to live somewhere thats cheaper.

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Anywhere in Texas, especially: Houston, Austin, Dallas

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Texas...Texas...Texas
    Houston, 3rd largest city in the country but just like a small town in many ways. Booming economy. Surrounded by smaller communities with a slower pace.
    Austin, well, that goes without saying.

17. arkracing

arkracing

I've been going through the same thing for the past year+. Hate my job etc, etc.

Steer Clear of CT, MA, RI - all very fast paced living and expensive. Not as expensive as SoCal, but enough where I can't afford a small house.

I actually Love New England - but can't afford to live here comfortably and don't see it in the near future either.

I went to Austin for the RoundUp - and though it was GREAT! granted, I wasn't there during the hotest months (and I don't particularly care for the heat) but I'm sure I could learn to deal with it.

I also kinda liked Nashville area as well - although that was hot too.

I lived in Harrisburg, PA on and off for 4 years while in college - that wasn't too bad, not sure on the work situation though.

18. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

DINK
    Double income no kids.

Its the only way, average 30 year mortgage in my neck of the woods approaches 4500$ a month.

19. Plowboy

Plowboy

John, I will pay you in Corn Nuts and Mad Dog. Maybe when I get the addition on the house, you and silent Lance could share it. Maybe we could move Lil Mike in too.

Actually I think you should move in with Miss Kitty just to the south of you. Just make sure the rent includes unlimited hand jobs!

20. Washington. I live in Mt. Vernon, about a 50 min drive from Seattle. A lot of folks here work at Boeing in Everett, about 30 min away.

Great weather, cost of living is decent (compared to calif) and good people. LOTS of car stuff going on here too.

21. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

What do you mean buy your own place? Remember at Bonneville we decided that chicks dig guys that live with their parents and don't have a cent to their name! Broken legs help too!;) :D

As for Johnny Sparkle-- Hello Las Vegas!:D

I really don't have any REAL help for you. I've thought about this myself and really haven't thought of anywhere better than here in good old O-hi-ya.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

consider:

Career availability
    Cost of living/housing
    Hot rod scene
    friends/family
    Night life/single female availibility
    other hobbies

If it were me, I would get a HUGE map of the US and tack it to your living room wall. Get a bunch of pushpins in different colors. Give each color a catagory.

For example, use blue pins for your friends, the ones your the closest with and see a few times or more a year. Stick those in the places they live.

Use yellow for family

Use red for all the car shows you normally attend AND ones that you would attend if you lived closer to the event. Will give you a real good idea if there are areas of the country you want to stay away from because there is NOTHING going on within a days drive or whatever.

The rest might take alittle research, such as decent cost of living. Use orange in places that you've researched that have decent costs of living and "normal" housing prices.

Use green for areas that you've researched are booming in employement. Green = money

and use white for areas that have what you perceive to be a decent night life......after all you don't want to be single forever.....or do you?? ;) College towns are GREAT for meeting girls. A town like Ann Arbor Michigan is BOOMING with night life, parties and bars.

You get the picture. It should give you a real clear understanding of where you might want to go and where you would definantly want to stay away from. I hope this helps.

23. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

That's 7 (seven) monthly payments where I'm at! I like winter for the downtime, plus there's nothing like a bike ride when the temperature is hovering near 25 degrees F.

24. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

25. desertdroog

desertdroog

My family did just that back in 1978. I was stupid and moved back to Madison, Wi in 1988...ran back to the desert in 1992 and will never look back. I just bought, my first home, a nice 1957 Block Construction Ranch House for $175k 3bdrm 2 bath, move in on the 24th, in just north of Central Phoenix around 2K+ square feet with room to build a 4+ car shop in the back and access from the alley or front yard to do it. I can get to any major freeway from 1 min to 5 mins, which opens up the entire city. I work in Tempe, systems analyst, with a commute time of only 15 mins in the morning 27 mins in the evening. We have access to Pine country when those August days kill you and you can go to any hot rod show in Cali in less than eight hours if you are up for a road trip.

The hot rodders out here are tightly knit, lots of part swapping and mechanical help if you are motivated and don't have a habit of ripping people off. Remember, we have some of the better firearm laws in the Union. :)

If I could not live in Arizona, then I would be in Texas with my other family members. Something about the Southwest, man...it must be the Carne Adovada and Chiles.

26. +1 on Michigan. No, for places to move AWAY from. The state is so heavily automotive, and cutbacks are going on all 'round. It's like Halloween every day, grim reaper's in the other room!

I'm starting to like the seasons, though. If I migrated, I'd be looking to eastern states for cost of living, or in the southern Midwest. Seems they have a nice temp. during winter months, and still have gorgeous countryside.

27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

710k for that in Socal? for 710k i can have a lake home in minnesota with 300+ feet of lakefront with 4000 square foot of house!

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Central Arkansas. They just discovered natural gas and there's plenty of jobs. Good hot rod and custom scene (the Hot Rod Power Tour ended in Little Rock this year, and begins in Little Rock next year)..A good number of HAMBers in the area. Lots of lakes and rivers, mountains, good climate, reasonable cost of living, central location, a half day's drive to Stray Kat 500 and the HAMB drags.

29. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Yeah, I think I am going to injure myself, declare bankruptcy and live with my mom. Why not? Chicks really do dig that sort of thing.

Johnny Sparkle shines too brightly for Vegas. No one would notice any of the neon signs.

I live in a college town. No girls for John. I think they might be intimidated by me.

St Louis doesn't sound like a bad idea. I don't think the housing is too bad, and it's kinda in the middle of everywhere. Might look into that a bit further.

Screw it, I'm just going to join the circus.