Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso City Council Meeting 9-4-07

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalifCarl, Sep 4, 2007.

1. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

What a joke! The meeting opened up with a chance for open comments. Many people gave heart felt speeches in favor of the car Show. From business owners to hot rodders and their families. Many magazines with Paso coverage were displayed.

But the former police chief Cassidy(retired) let the cat out of the bag, sort to speak. Truly the city council (reading between the lines) intensionally ran off the WCK. No doubt about it, it wasn't about increased cost, it was WCK wasn't and hasn't been holding up their end of the bargin. Speaking as a concerned citizen, Chief Cassidy, stated that originally the agreement was for finished cars and that over the years WCK lost control of the show because of it's growth. Also that they are not against a car show. So ya they run off the WCK's. The mayor stated out of 800 entry forms some 300 had been forged. ??? What the heck did he mean by that.

Personally I will cruise Paso on Friday night during Memorial Day weekend just the same. I don't think I will venture down to Santa Maria. What the Paso City council reports to happen during the WCK show in Paso truly will happen in Santa Maria. :( Gang violance, a stabbing or a shooting is in the news all the time in Santa Maria.

2. Bad62wgn

Bad62wgn

I agree with you. It will be a bad thing to move it to Santa Maria.

3. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

Carl did the city sound like they are going to have their own show with their own rules? Ones they could "control"?
    My self, Im done cruzing Paso and will support WCK and hope for the best.

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

done with paso here...looking forward to santa maria and the cooler weather and better venue.

5. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

actually paso and santa maria rank about the same in crime.

<TABLE class=data id=ctl00_mainContent_dgCOL style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; HEIGHT: 69px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 rules=cols border=1><TBODY><TR style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD style="COLOR: #fff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3d3322">Crime Rates</TD><TD style="COLOR: #fff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3d3322">Santa Maria, California</TD><TD style="COLOR: #fff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3d3322">Paso Robles, California</TD><TD style="COLOR: #fff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3d3322">United States</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #edece9"><TD>Violent Crime</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD>Property Crime</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. There was never any agreement with the city for finished cars only. West Coast Kustoms would never agree to such a condition. This is one the main reasons we are leaving. Also there were only 12 cars removed from the event for counterfit cards that were discovered. I have been to every meeting and was one of the two officals who remove cars with counterfit window cards.

7. lolife

lolife

You can't fight city hall. :p

8. farmersgirl

farmersgirl
    from Sonoma

Santa Maria has about 90,000 residents (according to Wikipedia which also states that it is the largest city in Santa Barbara county). Paso Robles has about 30,000 residents. The crime rate IS considerably higher just based on the number of residents in each town.

I also compared Santa Maria and Oakland, and while Santa Maria is a 6/6, Oakland is a 7/7. I wouldn't dare walk the streets of Oakland, not even during the day, based on how much I hear on the local news about violent crimes. Oakland had about 400,000 residents in 2000.

Hopefully, since it will be held at the Santa Maria fairgrounds, it will be easier to "police" the event. I also think that people should be searched upon entering. I hope to attend, but I wouldn't bring my kid to this one, that's for sure.

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

Magnetometers maybe, but I think if you plan on frisking everyone, SM will be a very short lived venue.

What units are those charts in Per ca pita, percent? Where did they come from?

10. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

It is crime per capita....or how ever you spell it. I am at work so i am not sure where I found the city censure stats stuff...haha. i would look it up but i am at work and break is almost over.

11. farmersgirl

farmersgirl
    from Sonoma

12. lolife

lolife

Good Lord! Stay home, lock your doors. More people die in traffic, then die from murder. More people are maimed in traffic than by attempted murder.

Driving is more dangerous than Dirty Mary.

13. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

I'm sure the former police chief was spinning the story to make their case. I questioned him directly about the so-called agreement and the fact that it was what 26 years ago. He was getting blasted by a young lady, she was offended by his unfinished car comments. She said it wasn't right for him to bash Rat Rods, of course he didn't say the words rat rods and the conversation now heated and ended with his defense of not saying Rat Rods.

There is no doubt this group or the former police chief and recreation director have been discussing this move for years. There will be a replacement event, most likely another car show.

Just a note, in my first post I was stating the view of the council about WCK not holding up there end of the bargin, not my personal view.

14. I think this thread LOST it's way

15. 53chevy

53chevy

It's tough to say what Santa Maria will hold. Will these punks follow the show once they get wind of the new location. Another point is, there are lots of poor areas in Central California that are beeing squeezed out. It's happening here in Ventura and Oxnard.

16. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

All the years spent in the garage dreaming of Paso - "the custom mecca."
    It is a sad realization that they never really wanted us.

17. Any bets the former Police Chief will be
    the Promoter of the new Paso show ?

Having an outsider in charge of anything doesn't sit well
    with the ego driven control freaks in City Hall.

18. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Cleatus, they is too broad of a description, I'm part of they and there are plenty of who wanted the show here. Just not the ones pulling the strings. Time to cut the strings and get some new pullers. The damage is done and it will take a long time for it to recover. Most likely longer than the damage from the earthquake has taken to repair.

19. The Blurr

The Blurr

You people keep tossing the word "they" don't want us. I hope you understand that it is the city goverment that has the problem not the people. I was there at that meeting and people young and old alike voiced their oppostion to the move of the car show. X police chief Cassidy told me and others personally that the problem was not so much with the car but the crowd it brought in. What ever the fuck that means.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. Well, how about some details of the things said at the meeting. You were there, and this thread has gotten so far off topic. Why don't you reel it back in?

21. The Blurr

The Blurr

Basically what was said by the city officals was that it was a matter of dollars and cents. The current police chief (I can't remember her name) said the city tried to work with Penny but Penny refused to negociate any further and left the meeting. I feel Penny may have felt insulted by the request to pay for the added police force. Penny put Paso Robles on the map. A common complaint that was heard was why did'nt anyone know about this until it was too late. One business owner said he would of gladly chipped in money to help off set the costs. I feel the city has a hidden agenda, pushed Penny out in such a way to where they could turn it around and say it was her choice to leave. Very under handed dealings very manipulative tactics. In the e-mail I sent to the city council I addresed them as charlatans, after the meeting I firmly believe that the title fits.:mad:

22. Blurr: Thank you for the details on the meeting, and for going and voicing your concern. While I can fully understand the Police having issues with part of the crowd that the show attracted I'm sure there could have been a win-win solution worked out. It would appear we have another case of "representative Gov't" not consulting those they represent before embarking on a certain course of action. I would be interested in seeeing hard numbers on how many complaints the city/police have received from locals regarding the show, to get an idea of what the Paso residents perception of the crowd/show/trouble is and or was. I guess really its all history now, I'm sorry to see the way it turned out and hope the locals get out at the next election and let their city officals know that they are there to represent the people and the peoples interests (not what they, the officals "think" are the peoples interests). While I never had any trouble with the folks in Paso, I was always treated kindly and had a great time in town ( I always treated the town and its residents with respect!), I will not support another car show on Memorial Day in the town due to the way the WCK show was dealt with. I hope for the sake of the Paso residents they get some better, or at least more up front people (if you do not want the show just step up and say so, and maybe ask the residents/local business what they think)in their city government next time around.

Ted Parrott

23. The Blurr

The Blurr

I agree with you. Myself and others asked former police chief Cassidy for some evidence. Only after he said "I could show files and files of things that weekend that would make your hair curl" I said yes I would like to see these files. An other person outside talking with Cassidy asked how can we get in touch with you? Do you have a card or somthing? Cassidy's reply was "just come down to city hall they'll know how to get a hold of me." O.K, I'm sure they will get right on that when we go to get Cassidy's phone number.

24. I gotta say what I'm thinkin is that the cost has gotta go up a bunch being closer to the Bay Area.........SO PLAN ON DIGGIN DEEPER IN THE WALLET.

25. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Maybe Ex-police chief Cassidy is planning a book show at the library. There was a complaint the Library entrance was blocked so it stands to reason that....:)

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Since this issue is now dead, lets go work on our cars.

27. Bad62wgn

Bad62wgn

Santa Maria is actually about an hour south of Paso and the prices shouldnt be to bad do to the size. There are a lot of hotels/motels in Santa Maria and the surrounding towns.

28. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

[​IMG]

Just let it go . . .

29. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Well Carl, thanks for the info. And your wife's salad will always be 'Paso Salad' in my cookbook!

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

well that reminds me, Carl, are we still invited over on Paso Saturday nite for dinner????:D