Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overcentering Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trey, Aug 17, 2007.

1. trey

trey

On my 55 chevy wagon, im running a 350 with a 4bbl. throughout the range of the throttle, the carb linkage has to over center. It happens right at the beginning of the movement. So its a little tricky to smoothy let off the clutch, and give it gas. Almost impossible to do it without slamming on the pedal. For some reason, im racking this through my brain, and coming up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas on how to get past this? Its a real pain.

2. squirrel

squirrel

picture would sure help! is it an extra high rise intake or have a spacer under the carb?

the way to get around it is to relocate something, generally you need to move the point where the linkage attatches to the arm, so that at the middle of the range of travel, the arm and linkage are at a 90 degree angle to each other

3. trey

trey

ill try to get a picture this evening. stock manifold, no spacer.

4. trey

trey

here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. squirrel

squirrel

looks like it should work fine as far as the linkage angles. Maybe the cotter pin is getting hung up in on the arm on the carb?

6. trey

trey

could be. i watched it through its motion, didnt see anything funny. it seems to get worse as it warms up. i was wondering if something was binding inside the carb as it heats.

7. squirrel

squirrel

or maybe the carb manifold adapter is getting hung up on the throttle blades?

8. trey

trey

yeah, could very well be. ill pull the carb off tonight and see if it has been rubbing. that would make sense. thanks for your help squirrel

9. trey

trey

took the carb off the plate, no signs of rubbing. im not seeing anything to cause it so far.

10. trey

trey

i think i found it. i took the carb off, and played around. i found that this pushrod going down is binding against the carb housing. think its the accel pump, correct? im 95% sure thats what is causing it. its circled in red...

[​IMG]

11. squirrel

squirrel

looks like the upper link is in backwards? or maybe you could move the lower link to a hole further out on the arm

12. trey

trey

i flipped the s link around, didnt help. i can move the rod that goes from teh throttle shaft to the acc pump, but what kind of effects would that have?

13. squirrel

squirrel

It will move the pump thru less travel. Possible it will cause a lean bog when you take off from a stop...but it's one of those trial and error things, see what happens.

14. trey

trey

ill give it a shot. if i move it up, it will get past that point, and shouldnt be a problem.

15. I had the same problem with the 94's on my car. had a stiff spot that would get worse as it warmed up. Made it hell when driving and trying to shift without slamming full pedal.

I rebuilt the crabs turned out to be a worn shaft and bushings. The butterfly shaft had a worn spot that would bind on the bushing.

16. trey

trey

this seems to have fixed it. it leans out a little under acceleration, but ill just stay out of the pedal so hard. thanks man!