Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to use on frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by misfit36, Sep 4, 2007.

1. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

i started sanding down some of my 52 ford f1's frame. it has mostly surface rust. friend of mine told me to sand it down as much as possible and use etching primer ( which ive done to only about 2 feet of the passenger side rear of the frame), then of course another friend comes by and says the small pin size shallow spots my sander cant get into where a little rust is still in, will continue to rust through the primer and that i should sandblast then cover with primer. any comments on either procedures? i should have used my wirewheel disc to get into those low spots but i dindt have it with me and couldnt wait like a normal person.

2. Flatman

Flatman

Bah, normal people don't wait either:D ! It's those strange people with that "patience" thing happening that weird me out!
    Have you tried a chemical rust remover like Naval Jelly? Blasting will get it all (and give you a better idea what shape your frame's in) if you can afford it. Etching priimer, then epoxy primer, then a good paint should seal it up well.

Flatman

3. GlenC

GlenC

I've always used phosphoric acid on rusty metal. It converts the rust into black phosphoric iron, then you just sand it smooth and paint over it. No need to sand first, in fact it's better if you don't expose clean metal before treating.

Cheers, Glen.

4. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

my frame was surface rusted in some places and i just painted por-15 right over it and then i brush painted marine grade paint over it, then cleared it w/ that duplicolor glitter fx. looks pretty good and won't rust.

i restored a 63 impala in 2002 and spilled some por-15 in the driveway and it stiil won't come off.... even after power washing. (shitty electric power washer)

5. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

i guess if i was like the normal people i know i would have bought a chromed out, sparkly paint 20,000 dollar truck like they say i should buy. as far as the frame goes it seems to be in decent shape except for a little bending all the way in the rear of the frame at the very end of the rail. i dont have the space or time to remove everything to get it blasted. i was thinking of using chassis black by eastwood. any opinions on it?

6. motorsportsaddict

motorsportsaddict
    from Smyrna, GA

If you're not removing any bodywork from the frame, I would use a product like POR15 or Rust Encapsulator that can be painted right over the rust. But I'm a rookie so take that with a grain of salt.

7. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

im by no means building a show truck but in the area that i already sanded and primered it looks a whole lot better because its a little smoother than the rest of frame. with POR15 wouldnt i get a rougher finish?

8. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Actually POR15 lays down real smooth to where you don't even see brush marks. It's good stuff....pricey, but good.

9. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

thanks for the help everyone i guess ill go with POR15 since so many people recommend it just out of curiosity anyone have any pics of their frames they covered with it?

10. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like i said in my previous post above, this is a pic of the por-15 (black) w/ a single coat of marine grade gloss black paint w/ duplicolor glitter fx clear. if you just paint on the por-15, i believe it is light sensitive so you need to spray or brush a final coat of paint over it.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

POR-15 is a good quick fix, if you don't have the time or equipt. to do it right (which means remove every speck of rust!). I wouldn't use it under a car's paint job, but on a frame, it will do.
    I've been battling rust for my 30+ years of building cars, and I've recently tried using Picklex. Amazing stuff. Spray it on, wire brush it, let it sit a minute or 2 and wipe clean. The rust is gone! And it leaves a surface that is ready to either weld, or primer. A bit pricey, but saves a lot of work.

12. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

ok almost done with the entire rear exposed frame rails ( no bed on my pickup). ive grinded down as much as i could and have used etching primer. what would you guys suggest i use over the primer? im looking for something quick but durable. any help is appreciated thanks