Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ot::airplane Guys ::ot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rollie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. rollie

rollie

...wish I coulda' seen this fly...that's my 13 year old son for size comparison....I got a tour of the storage and I didn't know they still had these too !

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Speaking of airplanes, I was just driving home from Alabama going through Mississippi on I-55 South of Jackson when there appeared a jet fighter sitting just inside the freeway fence in a guy's backyard. I'm not much of plane guy, but this looked like a 60s-70s small fighter like was used in Viet Nam.
    Kinda shockin' to see it in such a location, looked fresh from storage.
    Didin't see a "For SALE" sign on the cockpit canopy though.

3. belair

belair

I remember seeing an F-104 somewhere on the wato Fla. from Texas a few years ago. Is that Canadian plane the Avro (Arrow?) that got canceled aand caused all kinds of fuss?

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

From the looks of the wing tip(s), my "Canadian Fighters spotters guide" says your right.
    It's a shame it never made it into production; it was supposed to go like a "scalded cat!"

5. tjm73

tjm73

Is that the Ottawa Airplane Museum? I was there about a month ago. Cool museum. The engine displays were the best. Followed closly by the big wooden seaplanes as you first walk in.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

mmmmm cf-105 arrow..... one of the coolest planes to never be.

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

that is sweet man, i am a structural mechanic on the superhornet. although it is OT, fabricating is fabricating. that front fuselage looks killer!

8. beetlebailey

beetlebailey
    from fort worth

9. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Put some wheels and a flathead on it and take it to Bonneville! :D

10. rollie

rollie

yes it's what's left of the Avro Arrow in Ottawa...those aren'r tails , they're the outer wing tips.

11. I was a fighter pilot in the RCAF in the 60's, and you have no idea how bitter we were at learning that not only did they cancel the contract, but the government had AVRO, the contracter, destroy all 5 of the flying airplanes but also all the plans. The airplane flew better than anyones expectations at the time, it went supersonic on its third flight, in level flight, using the underpowered J-57 development engine.
    Sob, sniff
    Bob
    Most of the development was given to the US.

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Yeah; after seeing the pictures - after 30 years - I realized my mistake.
    Corrected up above.

13. belair

belair

Heard one reason it got canned was Russian espioage. Probably became the MiG-25. Also lotsa politics on U.S. and Canadian sides of the fence. At least you guys got a whole bunch of F-101's. Oops-I meant screwed.

14. All McDonnell did was to prove you can but 2 afterburners on a craphouse and make it go supersonic. I flew them and it was a good airplane, but extremely limited in manoeuvering capability at speeds below 400 kts. It was the Bomarks that were the best part of the deal, not only were they useless, but they were unarmed and useless. :)

15. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

Jets are Fun!
    [​IMG]

16. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

I build custom aircraft cabinets, just thought I would stick my nose in here and put my two cents in...

[​IMG]

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

now thats awesome!!

18. I love it! I guess we have to learn to think like the Arfons ( I hope I spelled it right ) brothers. They did amazing things on the dragstrip and on the salt flats with jet engined cars.
    There is nothing like being on the runway in the winter and lighting both burners, You know that even if you don't get airborne, you are going to go somewhere real fast. Formation takeoffs were the most exciting, particularly when you were the wingman and your burners lit and leads didn't. Even worse, when only one lit. We would be all eyeballs, arsehole, and rudder trying to keep the airplane straight. That is why we had the trailer hitch in the seat pack, so we could hold onto something.
    Bob

19. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

Very Cool, reminds me of this one, the North American Eagle, converted F-104.... www.landspeed.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Damn...that would be an AWESOME salt car.....
    better than sitting in that stogey Ottawa muesem!
    Man.... there still looking for the models of that plane they shot out into the St. Lawrence.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

F-110 in the "hush house"?

22. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

"F-110 in the "hush house"?"

Why yes it is!

23. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Thought it looked a might familiar.
    Last worked on them in 1989,
    Spangdahlem AB ,Germany.