Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good looking Alternator...Anybody have some input??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. 53chevy

53chevy

Looking for an Alternator that looks good in design (Is there such a beast?) and good 'ol quality too! I don't want the Powermaster wanna-be generator. Just an Alternator that has a good simple design. Any input on a manufacture or such would be great. Thanks

Ken

2. I put a Mitsubishi in my dad's roadster. Took it apart and p-coated the case gloss black. It's small and nice looking -- but it doesn't look like a generator if that's what you're after. It also wouldn't have enough juice if you're running a huge stereo, electric fans, or other power equipment.

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Don't know if there is such a thing as a good looking alternator. Fact is, they just don't really look right on a hot rod. But I've run one for a while now because I got tired of having generators rebuit from overreving them. One of the compromises that I've made on my car.

The way I see it is, you have 2 options. You can try to hide the fact that you are running an alternator. You can do that by painting it, hiding it, or getting one of those generator looking ones. Or, you can get a big ass chrome one wire and put it right out there in the wind. The way I rationalize it is this. If I was a young guy in the early 60's with an alternator, what would I do. I'd chrome it and show it off, that's what I'd do. So that's what I did.

Your mileage may vary. Some assembly required. Not available in all states. IMHO. $.02

4. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I used a dodge alt. They caame out in '63, so they don't look TOO out of place.

5. I like the looks of the mid 70's dodge stuff, open case design, look great powder coated

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I've got a 67 (?) Mopar one on my '34 as well. It looks good cause it's finned aluminum, but I really wish it was a bit smaller. Oh well...

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

How's this for looks ????

[​IMG]

8. chevy gasser51

chevy gasser51

how about running it off the driveshaft by the rearend