Register now to get rid of these ads!

satin paint jobs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2gunstewie, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 2gunstewie

2gunstewie

Can Anyone Explain How They Get This Look , And What Materials And Process.....picture Attached
    Thanks,
    Stu

Attached Files:

2. lownslow

lownslow

that particular car is basecoat without clear .....

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Man Glitter. hahaha

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i use basecoats

5. lehr

lehr

I use single stage paint with about 75 to 100 % flattiner mix .

6. Roupe

Roupe

How good do base coats hold up with out clear to protect them?

7. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Base coat doesn't hold up very well at all maybe a year depending on amount of sun. R&C did an article a few months back and I outlined how I do it, I will get the month issue at lunch.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Rustoleum comes in many colors. :)

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

mine have always held up fine. the paint on my orange merc was a few years old when i sold it and it still looked fine. i always used some spray on wax to help protect the paint. you have to be kinda careful with solvents, or brake clean kinda stuff around the paint but they hold up fine . Badbobs merc has been sprayed for over a year and it gets alot of sun, and that color sure doesnt repel the light!

Attached Files:

10. chazzin

chazzin
    from butler,ga

you can just clear it with a something like a flat clear

11. ronrob75

ronrob75

What I found to be the best and easiest (at least for me) is to use a good acrylic enamel (PPG, Sikkens, Dupont, etc.) and use a flattening agent. I think one of the guys above said to use 60 to75% flattener, but if I remember correctly I only did about 50% and it gave me a nice satin finish, and because it's acrylic it holds up well out in the weather.

The truck below (even though the picture is while it was raining) you can see the satin black. The white was done glossy and with a lot of pearl white

[​IMG]

12. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

I use duplicolor

13. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

with colors, in my opinion, i think the base w/o clear coat looks much better than using a flattening agent in the clear (which my wagon has.)

-scott noteboom

14. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

We're getting ready to do my wifes truck now. We're using single stage paint w/ flattener added. The guys behind the counter think we're nuts. Using PPG Shopline products.............

15. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow a flat paint question with all helpful replies...the HAMB is looking up.

I have just basecoat on my car I am hoping it holds up. I like the sheen it has.

david buczynski likes this.
  16. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Is that the same truck that was in the driveway last time I was there? It looked pretty nice before...

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Rustoleum does work OK, but Ive heard stripping it to do nice paint is a PITA.

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

We have used vinyl paint on a couple of cars. (The guy behind the counter is like wtf when we order up a gallon of green binyl paint) and have also used hot rod flatz. There have been a lot of people here that did not like the hrf paint though. Not sure how the vinyl paint holds up- havent kept one of the cars long enough

19. Jdee

Jdee

I put activator in my basecoat when I did my buick.
    I think it makes it tougher.
    Jdee

20. ABsolutely. You don't even have to use a really great acrylic enamel, either. I used Duplicolor from Murray's Auto and then the PPG flattener. It worked great, and it's dirt cheap.

21. Sean

Sean

The blue is PPG metallic base, no clear, no flattener. About 8 years old. Hardly garaged as I drive it everyday.

[​IMG]

22. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

I have had basecoats with no clear down for 6-7 years now.. one small projects is in full sun all day (Yellows and oranges, PPG).. no problems.. scratches easy.

23. OHR281

OHR281

I have done the single stage with a flattiner, and base coat with the flat clear on my own roadster. both work extremely well, but the flat clear can be unpredictable depending on weather(temperature, humidity) Some panels have come out with more shine than others. even though the mix has stayed exactly the same.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've used flattened single stage and it came out OK. I've also used a flat clear over a basecoat and it works better I think.

Leaving a basecoat without a clear is by no means a solution. It may have worked out for some of you guys above, but basecoats are pourous and will rust usless protected somehow. Slddnmatt mentioned he used a spary wax to help protect it. They also don't leave much in the way of protection, UV rays, scratches, etc.

25. Clark

Clark

I've done it both ways and I think the flattened clear really makes it glow or pop. I use PPG Flex and Flat clear over base coat. If you're doing a solid color without pearls or flake I think it would be better to get a single stage mixed without the clear.

My 48 sits outside and gets abused. The paint still looks goot after 4 years.
    Clark

Attached Files:

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Clark, how was the flexd n flat clear? I mostly use PPG products and though about using that but instead used DC4000 with a flattening agent added. Did you spray it right out of the can or doctor it up some?

27. Clark

Clark

I really like the flex and flat. It comes out the same every time. There's a couple of things that are a must.

You must strain it!! If not you will end up with small white spots in the clear.

It is best to put 2 coats on. I tried to do a cheap job once and only put one coat on......came out streaky.

I reduce it maybe an extra 10 percent. Helps it flow and keeps the streaking away.

With the flat paints don't think you can get away with flaws in the paint. They will show just as much as shiny and some stuff may show more.
    Clark

28. clark, ya got it right w/ the flex-n-flat clear. and reduce an extra 10% is dead on as far as flow goes...the only way to do satin/suede jobs.....just my honest oppinion.

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Next on the list...

Thanks Clark & leadfoot.

I was always kind of uneasy about my mixture being off with the flattening agent. The one time it was it cured like chalk.