Register now to get rid of these ads!

Janis Martin RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Just heard the "Female Elvis" passed away this afternoon a little after 4pm...

RIP Janis :(

2. rocknrollwoody

rocknrollwoody

Bummer!!!!! She was a rocknroll Queen.

3. MBL

MBL

RIP...another great one lost.
    Tim
    MBL

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

The lady was definately a rocker and will be missed. I understood she had retired from her job and was touring and singing again. RIP Janis. mike

5. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

A real pioneer ,in rock and roll. Her tours kept her alive,even while struggling with cancer. Play her records LOUD, that's the way she wanted it.. R.I.P. Miss Martin,Condolences to the family.:(

6. Man, I was listening to one of my CDs from the Loud, Fast and Out of Control collection today and heard her song "My Boy Elvis". Hate to see the pioneers of rock 'n' roll leaving us.

Sorry to hear of her passing. Rest in peace...........E

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Good video

Great Singer !

She will be missed

8. That sucks! One of the original rockabilly stars!

9. John B

John B

You could tell just by watching her interviews that she was a class act. I bought two copies of the documentary "Welcome to the club - Women of Rockabilly" Part of it goes into her story and what she was doing at the time it was made. I bought two copies,so I'd have one to loan out and educate people about real music. Everyone who has borrowed it, comments on what a great personality she had and how she seemed real and likable.

RIP Janis, thanks for all the good music. I'd been praying that you would beat the illness, but now I'm praying that you get the peace and rest you deserve.

10. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

RIP Janis Martin

You will truly be missed..

11. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

12. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Sad. I hear she was in poor health, but just sad.

I knew about her music through just a couple songs untill a close friend really opened my eyes and ears to understanding the impact Janis Martin made at that time and place in music. Like so many of these rockabilly and county pioneers,they are dying off fast. thanks to my friend I have made it a point to go see people like Wanda and Jerry Lee before the chance is missed.

Sad.

13. beauishere

beauishere

Thanks for this post. I saw Jerry Lee this year and he was still great. Condolences to Ms. Martin's family.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I've had the pleasure of meeting her and watching her perform.

Another one of our Rockabilly greats has left us way too young !

RIP Janis !

15. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    'Very sorry to hear of her passing. The good news is that she lives on thru her music and will touch many more people in the future. I never had the pleasure of seeing her perform so I've really enjoyed seeing the video.
    32Flathead, thanks for posting the video, Janis RIP.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. krupanut

krupanut

She was the best.
    Sooo cool and nice.
    And what a performer!

I will miss her.

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bummer, another one gone.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Watched the video, what a classy lady! I've never heard of her before, but I like her style. Sorry to hear she left us. Godspeed Janis!

19. You will be missed and we love you R.I.P Janice

20. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

So glad I got to see her recently over here in the UK, sounded exactly as she sounded back in the 50's. Truely one of Rockabilly's greats...a sad loss to us all. RIP Janis.

21. OLLIN

OLLIN

Im a fairly young guy (29) and I am glad that I got to see alot of these rock'n'roll pioneers play live. I think it makes them feel good that young people still appreciate their music, even today. Sort of like a "last hurrah" for them, too bad a lot have passed away in recent years...
    R.I.P.