Register now to get rid of these ads!

V-8 Chevy mounted to a Torque tube tranny? Can it happen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I searched first but didin't see the answer,
    Can I put a stock non powerful 283 Chevy into my '47 and leaving the stock 3sp. all the way back to the torque tube rear?? The motor (235) I have is just worn out and I have finally conceeded to her!!! I do have another 235 I am dropping in today, but I just got to thinking Not everyone back in the 40's/50's had open drivelines put in when they dropped in V-8's back then did they?? If it is possible I could gather up all the parts, bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate starter, etc. Just point me in the direction if it is possible....Thanks, Ken

2. Yes it can be done...
    A local welding shop did it when I was a kid...they built an adapter and installed a ,then new -265 V-8 in a '51 fleetline that was a stick car using all the 51's driveline.......

3. This was probably the most done and popular swap in the fifties. Chevy 265-327 bolted to a stock Ford driveline. Not strong, but if threated with respect it was very dependable and a quick set-up. I walked by a front motor mount adapter for the small block into a Ford, at a swap meet this weekend. All the stuff is out there and still available, new or used.

Oops, my bad, you were talking Chevy.

4. Chuck R

Chuck R

Yes Check speedway for an adapter. You should also be able to find one at almost any swap meet.
    chuck

5. manacoem

manacoem

I bought an adapter from Honest Charlie hisself back in the early 60's... At that time you had to also use a powerglide spacer ring ..I don't know if that is still the case but I'll bet that the "Old PG spacer" is harder to come by than the trans adapter.. I might even have an old Honest Charlie catalog still around. I will see if I can scan the ad. Later Jerry (manacoem):rolleyes:

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Can be done but you better drive real gently. They tend to spilt the case in half like a broken egg

7. manacoem

manacoem

I looked in my Honest Charley catalog ... It gave the listing but no pictures ..Sorry... Later Try speedway...
    Jerry (manacoem)

8. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

you could do it with a truck tranny, they have the same pattern as 55 and up pass. the tranny would fit the v/8 bell hsg and the torque tube. the car tranny has a smaller pattern thats where the adapter would come into the picture.

9. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

If I understand you right (just being sure) A truck tranny will have the wide pattern in front to mount to a car bellhousing, and still have the torque tube mount on the tailshaft?? right.
    What year trucks are you talking about? and will they be driveable "gear wise" on the road behind a small V-8 motor. Are truck tranny's available without that granny gear?? Or is a truck tranny a 4 speed so I would still have that 3rd gear to shift into? Belive me I know NOTHING about truck stuff!!!...Ken
    YES, I would take it VERY easy on the car, she is a crooozer, NOT a speed demon!!

10. KenC

KenC

1/2 ton 3 speed from late '48 to early 54 is the ticket. Has the 'standard' chevy pattern on the front and torque tube attachment on the rear. I've done a couple in years past, lots of years!

11. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks out scrounging tommorow after work!!
    Funny, my name is Ken, and MY last name starts with a C...Ken C, here too

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you hunt hard enough, you might dig up a '41-'47 3 speed truck trans ... floor shift, cluster has roller bearings instead of bushings. You'll also need a '37-'47 truck bellhousing for the swap.