Register now to get rid of these ads!

No More Paso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Aug 28, 2007.

1. fat141

fat141

maybe that should read "already booked in at SM"
    anyway ,we'll be there

2. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Looks like us Nor-Cal Guys and Gals get to drive a little further...I will have my wagon there this year, and we are booking our rooms today!!

Here we come Santa Maria!!

And I do agree on the Fairgrounds, it will be a little more controlled, that will be nice!

3. SLVRBLLT40

SLVRBLLT40
    from Orange, Ca

Well, everything about Santa Maria sounds great, except that it's at fairgrounds. I already have at least 3 fairground type shows a year in and around OC. I'm not driving 210 miles to go to another one. I'll save you all my personal reasons. Not to say that anybody else shouldn't make the drive, I'd hate to see this car show die. I just needed to vent my anger at the damn city of Paso for being such bastards.

I didn't even know there was a prejudice against primered cars at Paso until today. I went for the last two years, first in a primer '67 Dodge D-100 (that the trans grenaded on during my trip home) and then this year in a rusty/primer '62 Dodge Dart 440. Didn't really catch any flak from the locals. Then again, my cars weren't "in the show" either.

So the count is:
    Paso: Moved (will wait a year for the verdict on the new venue)
    Viva: Long drive, iffy show, and I hate Vegas, But state line has a bitchin' roller coaster :D
    Hoot: 2 miles from my house, so not a very exhilirating drive
    Hot Rod Reunion: Meh drive, few cars, have to be nuts about drag racing
    Then of course there's the Labor Day Cruise, Cruisin' for a Cure, Route 66 thingamajigger, and a plethora of other Boydmobile related stuff.

Did I miss any?

Looks like it's Bonneville and El Mirage for me...

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Does this mean John has to change his nickname to "SantaJohn" :D

Bummer, tho. I Never got to go.

5. kopis

kopis

Yup, thats the bulletin I got as well.
    Only time will tell if its true of not, either way we will still be there.

6. I'am gonna miss that spot. I really dug the park and that small town vibe. It was great for the wife to go shopping and get away for a few hours when she got bored. The fuckin town made a huge mistake. The primer nats and paso were the only shows i looked forward to. I trust penny to make this another winner for all of us to enjoy.

7. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

As an outsider looking in.....for all the squawking about what happened to a "Traditional" cruise/show spot.......consider...

One city's trash, is another city's treasure!!!!

That's why we have wheels, so we can travel to a different place...

HellRaiser

8. The Blurr

The Blurr

I was born in Paso and I have lived here all my life. I am disappointed and angry over this. Myself and others are going down to the city council meeting to tell these people that they are destroying our town. Turning it into something that it is not. I have lived here longer than most the people on the city council and they move to my town and change it into the the place that they left. As for Santa Maria it is a shit hole! There is a bunch of lame "gangsta's" and it WILL be a fucking hassle going there. I for one will not go to a Santa Maria show. So say hello to Lil' Clown, Dreamer and Creeper for me.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. We have seen the enemy, and the enemy is us.
    We, Hotrodders, need to trake a look at ourselves.
    We are judged by our actions and our associates.
    A primered car is just a car, but it is judged by it's owner.
    Someone here has actually suggested that we find a new place to puke.

10. Cruiser

Cruiser

Saubo Nasty,

:confused: The writing was on the wall when they bulldozed the 24th street drive-in and the show was next. Santa Maria has an old style drive-in on Main street on the right hand side of the road after leaving the freeway. Might be able to use the bank parking next door for overflow parking. If everyone stays cool Santa Maria will work out just fine. Santa Maria is not such a bad place..........

Cruiser:cool:

11. 53chevy

53chevy

Yeah, what about Tiny, Creeper, Lil Puppet, and El Gordo? And the toothless folks walking around. I do hope it works out though.

Ken

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Jerry Gaskill is a friend of mine also and the only reason I said "Gold Chains" is to let you know they are a Street Rod club and not a traditional club... jeeeze! Looks like I hurt your feelers!! All the guys calling Santa Maria a ghetto and you get your panties in a bunch about me saying gold chain!!! Read my lips... I MOVED FROM SANTA MARIA TO WV ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO. I've cruised with The Bent Axles I went to their shows and they came to our shows. You can't tell me anything I don't already know!!
    And Ya "Long Live Santa Maria West Coast Kustoms Show".

13. reporteranne

reporteranne

Hi there! Could I quote what you said about the next Napa, etc. in an article I'm writing on this for the little Paso paper, the Paso Robles Press? If you say no, I promise it doesn't go...
    Thanks

14. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

40StudeDude

I apologise for the post I dropped on ya... This is the HAMB we dont need to bicker and i feel i started it so i am sorry for the smartassed comments and i see what you meant about the smiley faces and such..

We are all here to learn and meet new people and talk with old friends about cars....not fight....If you make enemies on the HAMB then you did it all wrong..And im not here to do stupid shit like that..so I apologise to ya ..
    Now i will step down from my soapbox and go back to work..:D

Long Live Paso!

Dag

15. retarded

retarded
    BANNED

Now all the NorCal dudes will be introduced to the Cuesta Grade.

I grew up in SM so I stoked to hear the show if the show can't be in paso it will at least be in SM. Maybe someone that still lives there can put together some drags at the airport. That airport is huge and less than half of it is used for the planes. They have a pretty rad air museum too but I guess that's OT.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

DirtyDag...it takes a real man to step up and extend an apology...I accept yours...only if you accept mine...

Sorry for jumping in your schtuff...

Peace, out...

R-

17. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

As far as I know this is a public forum. Which means you can quote anybody you'd like as long as you give em credit. :D
    I think I speak for most of us when I say we would like to be heard.

Craig :cool:

18. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I thought it was Grover City...I mean Beach. Any town that has to prudy up it's name seems suspect.

At least S.M. will be about 20 deg. cooler.

19. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

no shit...Grover does not even have a beach!

20. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

If Paso doesnt want us.... then fuck Paso.
    It's the people are cars that make the event.

-scott noteboom

21. Wolfie

Wolfie

In the beginning, the show was really cool and the people were great! During the first few years a lot of lifelong friendships were started and you could actually talk to some of the kustom "Heros" that we've only seen in magazines. I credit Rich & Penny for a wonderful week-end during the coming years. It was like "Christmas" for all the kustom guys and remained that way for years! There were no big problems, we all had a GREAT time and just couldn't wait until next Memorial Day! Some of the friends that we made over the years have passed on now and I feel sure that they are all "up there" cruisin' and listening to "Wolfman Jack"!!! I think that in their memory, at least to me, I'll be going to "Paso" no matter what city it's in!

22. Lucky444

Lucky444

Paso-ver.

This last year at Paso my girlfriend and I were in a restaurant for dinner and a big party of poofdah wine tasters were on another table acting like the hugest assholes, one of them even falling out of his chair drunk and making a big scene. Now, I see some of the car peeps sporting some beers, but atleast most of us have the class to treat the wait help at a retaurant with some respect. That's because most of us have to work hard for our money too. I think alot of Paso will miss us at the show. I think they'll be sorry when all they are left with are the uppercrust wine crowd. We had the best time at this last Paso, almost as if we new it was the last one. Wassup Santa Maria?

23. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

All year round I look forward to Paso. I take one vacation a year, and that's to travel there. I save for months for money to spend on the vacation. It really saddened me that the town didn't want the event anymore. While I"m not naive enough to believe that laws weren't broken, I can honestly say I never saw anyone break any laws except maybe drinking in public. No fights, no confrontations, I just saw people walking around with goofy, happy smiles on their faces because the event was so much fun.

24. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Wow I didn't even know. Our city fathers did a simular thing with our adult rec leagues (softball, volleyball). They raised the prices so high, we boycotted and they had to lower the prices backdown to get the leagues back going again.

A little fore thought was deffinately needed then and on this too. I guess they still don't understand how people work. You can't crap on people and expect all things to be OK.

I'm sure many people here don't realize that the WCC show is one of many functions that take place in Paso. And certainly not the biggest, but it was more benificial to the local merchants around the park than most all the others.

The big wine festival(third weekend in May) which is also held in the park is on the same path as the car show. More and more locals are avoiding the event because of the price increases and how the event is being run. The city fathers are not getting it. But rest assured as long as they can continue to bring in out of towners with money to spend they won't care.

This sinks just as bad as the library parking lot. Hmm Recall....

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

So if you didn't even know and you live there chances are the merchants don't either. Be a good HAMB spy and dig up some dirt for us! You are going to the meeting, right? You have to be the HAMB rep!;) :D

26. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

My first thought was hell yah I'll be there, then I realized I'll be in Sacramento that day. If I get home early enough I will go. Kind of like Bill Cosby use to say "Weird Harolds gettin a beatin, I've got to see Weird Harold get his beatin!"

I looked through the city council mintues and agendas and never found any info about this at all. This subject is not on the current agenda either. I really thought Paso to be a progressive town compared to many in the area. Never expected this to happen.

Megan this bums, I've already got dinner ready for you guys. :(

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You don't think your getting rid of us that easily do you??? I'm still coming and staying with you :D

28. NealinCA

NealinCA

29. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Sometimes change is good.. its closer for us so cal guys so thats not too bad.. hopefully the show wont blow.. i guess that depends on how many people are turned away from the change of location, hopefully not alot... only bad thing i could see is those jerks that probably ruined it were from socal, now your moving it even closer.. uh oh... i say you nor cal guys throw rocks while passing through paso.. just so they can feel confident in their decision.
    -Anthony

30. Assault w/deadly weapon? Gang shooting? News to me. Domestic violence? Sounds like a local problem. I'm all over that city from Thursday to Sunday every year, and have yet to witness any of that. God forbid the cops should have to actually earn their money once in a while, and sit on their hands the rest of the year. How TOUGH it must be to be a cop in Paso. They should quit, and take a nice kickback job in some of the gang infested area in Los Angeles.