Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint is done....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hodaddyo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. I am not talking shit I am just tired of people posting pics of rattle can spray jobs and saying that the car is painted. Spraying painting a car is not painting. My shoebox sure is rockabily, custom bodywork and custom paint. You should look up my other thread of when I sprayed it to see what a real paint job looks like. You might learn a thing or two.

2. jchav62

jchav62

3. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Nothing against the rattle can paint job but, it does look like it needs another coat. You can see from the pics that you need more paint on it. Just add another coat or two and it'll will be....OK. I think if I were to build a roadster, I'd spend some money on the paint.

4. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

you're right, thanx for teaching me. it is way beyond my ability to shave door handles and lower a kustom. building a hot rod is way easier. i guess i'm a dick because i don't have the coin to drop on a high dollar paint job. maybe i should just paint it flat black. thanx for all the advice. anyone who wants to give me a compressor, and a paint gun, i'll gladly take it. oh also a garage... like i said this was built out of a small shed and very low buck. paint was $60. i think the trunk lid is a good example of how good the paint looks for the price.

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

I think you did good. I've been driving my car with no paint for over 12,000 miles........one of these days I'll get the metalwork finished and paint it but for now.......I drive the wheels off it and enjoy it.

I have door handles on mine.

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I think it looks craploads better than some of the stuff I have seen recently. I don't see anywhere in the post where HoDaddy said "And behold my flawless paintjob!" it says ""Looky! Paint! Yay!"

I think that as a whole, the car is bitchin. I (for one, at least) realize that not every gearhead has to have perfection to have fun. And anyone who thinks the paint on the car is going to somehow make it less fun to enjoy while driving it is nuts. I say this because the biggest whiner about it, in the very post he wants you to "learn something" from mentions 2 years to get it to paint.
    How long has it taken you to build the ENTIRE DAMN CAR Daddyo?
    Should be driving P.D.Q. by the looks of it.

I dunno. I have done high end and low buck. both were a hell of alot of fun in the long run. I feel like it's the journey, not the destination that counts.

Good job and keep us posted.

7. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

thanx for the encouraging words guys, .... see, 2 more guys who build cars and not just sit in front of the computer and tell everyone how much their work sux.

8. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Your car is bad ass plain and simple.
    I dig it!
    Any more build shots you could show us?

9. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

10. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

i probably should have taken more pics of the engine and chassis.

11. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the pics.

12. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hey man, your paint SUCKS open ASS! haha just kidding man! Seriously, I think it looks sweet! I think more people should do scallops!
    And hats off to you! You did all THAT work in a lawnmower shed?! Thats ridiculous!! And quite an accomplishment!!
    Any paint is good paint.. well, ok, some paint schemes Ive seen are dumb. But this looks cool. And from the looks of it, that metal flake rocks! Im sure its just a shitty camera angle that makes it look splotchy.

Everyone should just loosin up a bit. Who ever said there was a true definition of a "real" paint job anyways?? duh!
    At least it doesnt say 'Fuck Off!' on the deck lid like that one looser a year ago had on his tall top.
    Anyways, great progress, keep it up! Looks like fun!

13. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

i really learned alot w/ this car. my welding has improved 10 fold from what it was when i started. my next hot rod will be even better. maybe if i return enough bottles and cans, i can save up for a real paint job. i think i am gonna have to.... i am thinking something Roth inspired..... THINK FINK!!!

14. motorsportsaddict

motorsportsaddict
    from Smyrna, GA

Hey it looks good. I'm working on doing the same with a 52 F1 I just picked up. Now I probably won't even post pictures if people are going to respond like that. I can't even weld as good as you did but I damn sure going to learn. And I'm going to have a driveway paint job to boot!

15. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I was unaware that its only called paint if it costs lots of money and time to apply

whatever you got on that car it looks pretty good!

16. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i took these pics early this morning... its the only time the sun is directly on the car if i roll it out of the shed. i figured i'd post 'em so you could see how it looks. it doesn't look blotchy to me, maybe i'm missing something. i also wired up the tail lights, threw the carbs, and lake pipes on. i just have to wire and throw the rest of the interior in. i am not sure how to figure out the glass. i guess i should make them out cardboard first. any suggestions?

17. bonesy

bonesy

Fun looking roadster - good luck.

18. Hey that's kinda cool if your into the driveway built, I'm notta pro, low buck, didn't have to mortgage the house, my kid didn't have to go without braces, I built it for me, I built it for fun hotrod... which oh yeah - I am.

Great job. Who cares what anyone else thinks!

19. Crease

Crease

That's a cool lookin car with a real nice stance. Sounds like you've learned quite a bit too in the process of the build. My strategy has always been have fun, get it build and then have more fun driving it. However, I know plenty of folks that have been perfecting the heck out of their car for the last 10 years or so and I suspect will run out of steam having never finished a car. Drive this one until your ready for a change and then, if you feel like it, get yourself a high dollar paint job. Low buck and on the road beats high dollar in the garage for 10-20 years any day. Good luck on the build!

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Looks really neat. North Gay Shoebox just talks shit about paint. His car is the ultimate Im sure. A tan 4 door. Whoah....Winfield fade lookout.

I was going to say it did look splotchy, and kinda still does, but looks a lot better in the recent pics...I think the lighting helped. Either way man, looks like a barrel of fun for little to no dough put in.

21. Good one, you know whats funny is I like the car but you cant argue that the car would look even better with a nice paint job. There are other ways to get a good paint job then spend ton of money. The car is small enough that it should not cost much, there are auto shop classes that you can take and you can get students to paint your car who just want the opportunity. The key is the prep work.

22. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

not sure if anyone cares but i figured i'd post some recent pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i suffer from a somewhat personal auto-immune disease, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to work on my car, so not much has been done since the last post. its wired, and basically just needs the fluids changed and then to throw in the interior. hopefully november.

23. Don't pay no nevermind to the couple dipshits that always look at the "glass half empty".

I just discovered your thread and dug the shit out of it and your hot rod start to finish.
    I've been professionaly painting off and on for over 34 years.Everything from wholesale cars (that weren't even sanded before paint) to full blown custom painted cars and cycles.

You should take pride in knowing you built it in the same manner the early hot rodders did.... learning as you go and having fun!:cool:

24. 1930 ratrod

1930 ratrod
    from colorado

i think your car looks bad ass!!!! the paint job looks awesome too.:D

25. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

awsome car man, I've been looking for a 26/27 body fo over a year and had finally put the idea on back burner... way to go!

26. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

thanx for the kind words guys, it keeps me motivated when people see what i've been doing and like it.
    ahhh... even if they didn't i would still finish it because i like it, but it is nice to hear some positive feedback.

27. very cool man.. i dig it.. the overall look of the car is great..

btw - i just noticed - is that the dingbat frame under the coupe?? are you gonna run shocks this time :)?

Keep the progress comming...

28. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

How much do you have invested in that? I've been thinking about building a stripped down "el cheapo" roadster to bomb around in and have some fun.