Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can A 1957 2 Door Wagon Sedan Delivery Come With Side Windows??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigdaddy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I am looking at a 1957 2 door wagon.... but it has a sedan delivery rear door that opens from bottom to top??? (all one piece) Is this some kind of special wagon.... or can sedan deliverys have this option back then?

Any info would help

Bigdaddy

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes, it could be...it may have been a special order: a "Handyman" wagon with a sedan delivery tailgate.

R-

3. Shane T.

Shane T.

Rarest body style by production numbers of all the tri 5 chevy's I think.

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yes, they did make those. They aren't common, but they did exist. Get it. And sell it to me cheap! :)
    -Brad

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Union Pacific RR & the A.E.C. bought '57 Chev 150 sedan delivery/wagons ... windows on pass. side, sheet metal on the other.

6. I believe the sedan deliveries with the side windows were for military use;at least that is what I was told.A VERY rare 57;only a few hundred built as I recall.I have seen a couple wagons converted to that configuration but only one real one.Easiest way to the is the serial number;sedan delivery numbers start with 1261 or 1271.

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I think the Department of the Interior had ordered a couple of hundred of them

8. hatch

hatch
    from house

correctamundo.....military bought em.

9. drkgrn57

drkgrn57
    from rowlett,tx

Had one of these back in 1979, sold it for down payment on my first house.

10. Anderson

Anderson

What a big bone head move. But the hood lives on...:D

11. JamesG

JamesG

Really? Cool, but I wonder why the sheet metal only on one side? I'd like to the the UPRR version of this.

12. drkgrn57

drkgrn57
    from rowlett,tx

I'm a slow learner, cause not long after that I sired you!

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

the forrestry dept bought those also.so the driver could look out the right side to look for fires while driving. this info came from the classic chevy club back a few years ago

14. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

From the Barrett-Jackson Catalog:

"This was 1 of 92 cars ordered in this package for the United States Agriculture department. It has all the aspects of a sedan delivery but instead of metal back windows this vehicle comes with glass. "

15. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Are you talking about a chevy cause everyone on here is assuming chevy it could be a ford after all.

16. :) :) :) :)

Now thats funny!

17. Could depend on the body style number too. 2 Door wagons with windows were generally considered cars and titled as such. 2 Door Sedan dleiveries without side glass were titled as trucks. I had a 59 Ford Wagon that was a Sedan Delivery and titled as a truck but had factory side glass. Guess what? It was an old Military vehicle that was repainted white over green. It had a front seat but no rear seats. 2 door wagons that were titled as cars had a back seat.

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Good point!
    Mass Hysteria?

19. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Its the man. They wanted you believe that the only car produced between 55and 57 were chevy's. Bet you wanna know who THEY are too don't ya.

20. As 5-6-7 chevy wagons and sedan deliverys shared the same body. The delivery could be ordered with the wagon side windows and a sedan delivery one piece liftgate. Or the wagon could be ordered with a one piece sedan delivery liftgate. The serial number on the tag tells whether it is a wagon or a delivery. Pat.

21. they were also used by florist's for deliveries and so people could stop them and buy flowers. funeral homes also used them to transport flowers.

22. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

How did EVERYONE know he was talking about a Chevy ?

23. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I am talking about a chevy!!!! Everyone wins!!!!

24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Chevvies are sedan deliveries ... Fords are Couriers

25. I almost bought one of these years ago. I really wanted a sedan delivery and when I followed up on one in an ad I was bummed it had the side windows...guess I shoulda picked it up and saved it.

26. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

What are we talking Value for a 6,7 out of 10 running 6 banger three speed decent body?

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

A van with metal on the left and glass on the right was common for Southwestern Bell for many years. I had a 1985 Chevy Astro Van in that configuration. It was a retired telephone service truck.

28. SLIMLEG

SLIMLEG

yes they can have the sedan del. with glass side windows. the sedan del. will not have back seat. the handyman will have back fold down seat. most of del. with windows were special order for fire chiefs ect.there were not many made.

29. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

My buddie and I had one of those in the late 70's and 80's. I came with the panels in the side and a lift up rear door. We proceeded to chop the top 5 inches, backhalf the the rear of the car and run it in Super Gas (Any of you guys here from Ohio area might remember "Rapid Delivery"). It was a hard hooking, nasty, SOB....

Spoons

30. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

It has the fold fown back seat......Do how much is this thing worth???