Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I get a deal? (wheel content)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by synthsis, Aug 27, 2007.

1. synthsis

synthsis

I stopped by the local Auction on a friends recommendation for a set of 50's fiberglass lampshade lamps and found a pile of car parts while I was there. I bid $25 on a set of 5 wire wheels just because I didn't want to see them go to the scrapper. I called over this morning to see what I won and it turns out I got the lamps and the wheels.

So, for $25 did I catch a score on the set of wheels?

Here is a stock image I found for reference:
    [​IMG]

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

It all depends.

16" (35) good deal

18" (32) ok deal

19-21" (model a) not so good

Rich

3. If they are 16's 5 x 5.5 BC, yes you got a deal.

If they are 17's, 18's, 19's , and up. ummmm SoSo on the deal

4. I'd like to buy a set or pair of '32 wire wheels (18"). If yours are 18" & in good condition I'd be interested.

JH

5. synthsis

synthsis

off the top of my head, they seemed smaller than larger, if that makes any sense. They also had some, what I thought to be, early Chevy solids. They were huge, had to be 19" or 20" but they were pretty rough. I'll see if they're still there when I pickup my stuff tomorrow.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

They look larger than 16". Or at least the space between the rim and hub seems to be bigger (in scale) than what I've been poking a wrench through to pop my wheel covers off for the past few years. I think 25 is a good deal no matter the size.

7. synthsis

synthsis

They need a good amount of time in the bead blast cabinet but they should clean up.

8. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I'd give $25 for em just to hang em on the wall if I couldn't use em...

9. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

and if theyre 16" Kelsey Hayes wheels you made a really really good deal

10. synthsis

synthsis

That's what I was thinking. How can I see if they are in fact KH's?

11. If you got 5 early rims for $5 each, worst case they're always worth that. When I go to the you-pull-it and buy modern rims usually I have to pay $5 or $10 a shot. Hang 'em on the wall and be glad they're not off to become a new Chery sedan.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The worst thing you could have bought here is 5 water hose racks for the side of the house or garage, or grinder mount base plates.
    The best thing would have been Kelsey Hayes bent spoke wheels BUT they ARE NOT.
    What you have bought appears to be a set of stock 17" 33-34 Ford welded spoke wheels which are OK too. 17" tires and tubes are available without problem. Try Lucas Automotive in Long Beach CA for all sizes of antique tires.

Now, Kelsey-Hayes did in fact manufacture stock factory-style welded spoke wheels for Ford and other spoked wheels for other automobile manufacturers for decades on end. They usually have a "K-H" or "KH" stamped into them in the hub.
    These are NOT the desireable Kelsey-Hayes "bent spoke" accessory wheels so often mentioned here but not described.
    The K-H accessory wheels have the rows of short spokes crossing each other with a bend at the top and bottom of each spoke changing the "X" shape to a much more flashy design.

13. synthsis

synthsis

that's just a picture I found online since I didn't take one when I was at the auction.

14. Louie S.

Louie S.

Are they for sale?

15. synthsis

synthsis

They might be. Let me get them home and snap some actual pics of them to see what I'm sitting on.

16. Retrorod

Retrorod

I paid $250 for four '35 straight spoke welded wires in pretty rough condition. After stripping & blasting then having them straightened I have a nice set of wires. You started out a few $$$ ahead of me. You got a deal.

17. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I'd be interested in the 20" Chevy looking solids. Go back and grab them.

18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

yeah....never post pics of something if it`s not the actual item.....too many people only look at pictures....

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats because the great majority of us can't read! :confused:

20. I can never figure that out either, especially selling crap on eBay, how it is so many people can't read, but can still manage to type?? You'd think they'd be mutually exclusive.

21. synthsis

synthsis

picked them up this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They appear to be about 17.5" edge to edge. they're welded too as you can not see the spoke ends on the inside of the wheel either.

InDaShop, the smoothies were gone but I thought about you when I got there, I looked for them but no dice.

22. Uptown83

Uptown83

Sounds like they are 34-33 rims... Not many people want them, but 5 bucks a rim is still a great deal. Hang em on the wall! My dad has 100+ model a wires on the wall of his shop and 20+ model T wires on the walls.

23. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Well that sucks, but I still appreciate it. Thank you.

24. synthsis

synthsis

This was the first time I was ever at this auction and didn't know how they worked. I figured some stuff wouldn't sell and still be there today. there were a bunch of old junky carbs, taillight lenses, a dog house from a 40's Plymouth, etc. I couldn't believe it was all gone today.

25. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

They may actually be 1935 ford 16" rims, which makes them more desirable. I don't have one handy to measure here, but measure across from bead area to bead area, rather than edge to edge, and see what you come up with.

26. Crankhole

Crankhole

If the valve stem hole is raised, they're 17". Otherwise, they're 16".

27. dangeroustoy

dangeroustoy

The valve stem hole looks to be flush and looking at the length of the spokes they look likethe 16" wires off of a 35 Ford...

Dave Brisco