Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eyesore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Zumo

Zumo

2. Choptop

Choptop

from the article:
    Likewise, it doesn’t apply to vehicles that are parked or stored in a lawful manner on private property if it is an antique or special interest vehicle stored by a collector and is properly maintained.

get yourself declared a "collector" and your vehicles declared antique or special interest. Go to city hall and ask what the critera are for such. I'm betting that there are none, and that some simple documentation on your end (club memberships and such) should do it.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I love this description of what a junked car is.

"an attractive nuisance creating a hazard to the health and safety of minors"

4. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

technically who determines whats an eyesore, apparently some ass hat.

5. tomcat46

tomcat46

Isn't that the definition of "Hotrod"?;)

6. Jimv

Jimv

This is a case of trying to keep a city "nice". We're all interested in cars so we feel"offended" by laws like this, but if your neighbor had refrigorators in his driveway or sewing machines you'd want them moved or put away.
    Not everyone is a "car" person & you all know that cars can get outta hand!!lololol
    JimV

7. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

I have had some good neighbors and my '46 has been in the driveway for the last year. Now that both my neighbors on either side have moved and are selling, and the market is slow, the city "discovered" my car and ordered me to move it. Technically, they are right by the word. I have a sneaky suspicion that a real estate agent trying to sell tipped them off. The irony is that one neighbor has a pool that hasn't been maintained or emptied in three years and is a breeding ground for mosqiutos, and the other has never mowed her lawn on a regular basis and still doesn't! SHEESH...

8. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Well I consider honda rice burners "eye sores" but I don't complain :)
    The issue is with non-car people, but I do find it funny, there are people with old junky campers or trailers that don't get picked on, but a project car does. Now if you have a dozen in your front yard that is one thing. One car is another.

9. The faster you have it up and running, the easier it will be to mess with them by moving it in and out of the garage - often -

10. Flatman

Flatman

I notice the article didn't mention garden gnomes or those miniature wishing wells people put on their lawns....:rolleyes:

Flatman

11. Zumo

Zumo

Yeah I fully understand it, just don't like it. What is funny as that when I am done with it(for now) and then decide to park it outside folks still may not like how it looks. Not everyone thinks a pickup looks good in a suede blue with WW and read steelies. Ha ha.

12. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Eyesore? How about all these political signs, begging to be elected, stuck into everyone’s front yard and every street corner you come to. Oh, I forgot it's a different story when it involves them. God I'm glad I live outside of any city limit. County Councils are bad enough, but they aren't anything like the dickheads of City Councils.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Virtually all Texas cities of any size have similar ordinances. The ONLY times they are activated and enforced is in response to the complaint of neighbors.
    The latest movement happening is new ordinances which target the parking of vehicles (cars, trucks, RVs, trailers of all kinds including boat/trailer combinations, motorcycles, ATVs) on the lawn in front of your house or between the houses if visible from the street. Such parking will not be lawful unless the "vehicle" parked is there on a temporary basis or on an approved and permitted parking pad or driveway.
    Now, some of you folks in other than border states , or Arkansas, may find this odd, but there is a very large and growing population of folks that do not give a flying damn about property values and neighborhood apprearances due to their upbringing in "less than civilized" areas of the world and think nothing of having 4 families living in a 2bedroom house with 16 vehicles rotating in and out of the front yard, street easement, sidewalk and curb parking.
    Be advised the City or County Health Departments do not allow this overcrowding after they have been made aware of it, it helps to mention possibility of having sighted a rat or two in the area.

By the way, a quick call or email to the health department will solve the unmaintained swamp mosquito breeding pool in the neighbor's yard problem, and the yard maintenance situation next door if it is over ankle high in most cities/towns.

ALthough we, as car people, come up against these ordinances every now and then they DO help protect you and your property from the scourge of third world incursion into your neigborhood.

14. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

security fences? 8 footers? lol

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Thank goodness my neighbors are the problem, they can't complain about me! But in KCMO they have bigger concerns than the south side.

16. screwball

screwball

I hate thies threads I moved out of the city I lived in for this exact reason with me moving I also dropped a local car show I promoted that gave 5 grand a year to the local childrens hospital. Now thank god I have a small farm out in the sticks with no neighbours to bug me. Now its a 40 min drive to work but you will never see me or one of my cars at any city run or sponsered event. As for the neighbours my personal plate is UG LEY just incase they dont like my car it kinda proves to them that I dont care what they think. I was thinking of the plate EYESORE as well just for fun.

17. swingcatt

swingcatt

18. anything thats on government land is fair game I say

as my brother says - go blow goats

19. lowmaster

lowmaster

Must be an Ellis County thing Andy. The city of Ennis (20 miles from Wax) is trying to fine us over the "project" cars in Dad's car lot cause the don't run. Also said if they see us taking apart a car in the drive for parts could be fined for running a salvage yard with no license. City code enforcers must have been picked on in school.

20. screwball

screwball

The stupid part is that the city I moved from still asks my old car club to provide cars for parades so politicians have a cool car to sit in.

21. Zumo

Zumo

Oh and wait till they hear how loud it's gonna be.

22. by their definition, it is only a junk vehicle if it is visible from public property. so, keep all your junk behind a tall fence, or in your back yard, and you'll be just fine.

23. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

also keep it tagged man.thats the only thing that saves me.everything i have on my property is tagged and insured,when the code guy showed up he couldnt do shit.i told him i was doing a tune up and it did not run at the moment wich is legal and states so in the warning paperwork he gave me prior.he left and never came back.for that at least.who says car guys arent politicians?we have to be to keep this thing alive!!!!!

24. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I make what I consider a huge mortgage payment here in SoCal so when my neighbor parks an unregistered shitbox in my line of sight with two flat tires I take notice. I personally made the calls to get rid of a festiva and tempo both broke down and looked like shit in the neighbor's yard. I made em go away by calling the city (not registered junk) . I have two project cars, one in the garage and one in my rv parking behind the fence. No one can mess with me because I follow the rules. While home shopping, if a place didn't have rv parking I told my wife don't bother because I like to work on cars. If your stuff isn't registered and looks like shit I don't blame your neighbors. Some people consider me an asshole. I consider myself a guy making a fat payment to live in a nice neighborhood. The motor home and boat on the lawn guys irritate the shit out of me too. My neighbors have a motorhome so big in their drive it blocks out the damn sun. Looks ghetto as hell. As soon as I find the time that is gone too. I am sure you are a nice guy and a responsible hot rodder that doesn't systematically shit up the property value in your neighborhood so don't take my rant the wrong way.

25. good luck..
    once they start peekin in your yard the violations increase so keep em away..
    i had the yard police say i could keep my utility trailer on the drive way but could not have anything in it.(i had it filled with my swap meet stuff covered by a tight fitting tarp)..i questioned this and and asked if all trailers had to follow the same rules they said yes ...
    i said lets go around the neighbor hood and i'll point out the.. boats ,jetskis,canoes, 4 wheelers ,dirtbikes ,snowmobiles ,fishhouses ,tractors, contracting equipment,bobcats,ladders.. etc they said ...well that is what THOSE trailers were for.. where mine was not specific in use....
    bastards they finally backed off when they wrote me up 6 times for a trailered old boat on the lawn .. i refused in writing and verbally to move or cover relicensethe offending unit..... after they sent a notice in person with a officer and they demanded i move it or it would be towed i said "fine do what will i ain't touching that boat...
    as they were backin up the tow truck accross my yard and hooking it up i told them it was my neighbors boat and was technaly behind his fence it just was visible thru my property that had a angled property line....

why didn't i tell them it wasn't mine and they would not have had all the drama, paperwork ,time costs......they never asked who owned they just told me it could not be parked on my lawn... the boat was never a issue with me it just was with them