Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Murray update: IT ROLES!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Aug 27, 2007.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, the day has finally come where I can report something that looks like a car and sits like a car! Now I just need to make it DRIVE like a car!

Quick trip to Vegas this weekend for some family business and some quick thrashing time and it was just enough to get it rolling under it's own weight. Lots of work in a short amount of time, but here's what it looks like...

[​IMG]

The butt is low from the spring reversal. In fact, if I hadn't had reversed the eyes, I think it would have sat perfectly level at 5-inches or so. Unfortunately I came out with 4-inches just below the kick up. Looks awesome, but I won't be leaving it that way.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the 4-bar rear suspension is also not close to level. Also a result of reversing the eyes on the spring. The good news is that the modification DID fix the interference problem I had. :D

[​IMG]

Here's what the spring pack looked like before deciding which leaves to pull out.

[​IMG]

I ended up taking three leaves out and spaced it accordingly. BIG mistake! It's way too soft now. When I sit in the car it completely tilts to that side! LOL! I know I'm not the most fit guy in the world, but DAMN! I don't think I'm over weight or anything! HAA! So, leaves will have to go back in or this car is going to ride too soft and have too much body roll.

On another note related to the spring. Since the spring tool I made was designed to catch the eyes in the stock direction I could no longer use it without modifications. I decided to ditch it for now and just mounted the spring in the crossmember and used large c-clamps to pull the eyes up to the shackles. PAIN IN THE A$$!

More in a bit... dinner is ready! :)

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

This is better than a naked chick!!!

3. dirt

dirt

hey scooter, that looks like it will be a very cool ride.

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you will end up adding quite a few leaves to rear suspension to counter act the leverage effect you are going to get from having the spring mounted the way it is.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I completely agree bro!! All leaves are going back in. I will need every last one of them... for sure.
    [​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here's some shots of the front with and without the grille shell to give you an idea of where things are at up front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I obviously have some things to address with that front cross member as far as reinforcing it. Don't worry, haven't forgot about it. Just taking a step back to think about the best solution. Will probably incorporate some reinforment in with some shock mounts. Will kill two birds with one stone.

Okay, that's enough for tonight... More when I get a chance.

Cheers!
    Scooter

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

you gonna have room for seats? post some inside pics please... you've got my attention!

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Gonna be great.

9. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Oh man, I can't wait to see more progress! looking kool!

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

scooter, now that you reversed the spring eyes, what is the angle of the rear shackles with the leaves removed? could it be that your spring perches are too close together? I can't see your rear spring being that weak with 3 leaves removed and no motor/tranny in it. I've got an old beat up 37 rear spring in my 32 that was too weak in my model A but it's still feels plenty stiff sitting still, even with a motor and tranny in the car.

11. Thanks for the update. These are too few & far between. The car looks great. I love it.

Where's the naked chick?

JH

12. Clyde

Clyde
    from Las Vegas

Things are looking good Scooter. Drop me a line next time you are back, I would love to see things in person.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spring perches are at the stock Model A distance apart. The shackles are pretty close to 45*. The spring DEFINITELY needs those leaves put back in. I have faith it will settle out just fine with all the leaves in there... well I'm PRAYING anyway! :eek: I really don't want to spend $280 (or MORE!) on a Posies spring to replace it.

I will man! Should be in a few weeks I think.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

BTW... this grille shell is not sitting in it's final resting place. It will probably have to move forward quite a bit to clear the steering components.

Also, some of you may have noticed the perches are only welded to the bones without gussets. They will get some heavy gusseting once I know for sure that I don't need to change anything.

Interior comments coming up...

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Congrats, I know just how good that feels to make a milestone like that, bs, bs, bs, priceless. (ya know like the commercials)

Naked chick? Wha??? Where???:eek: Dang, I was lookin' the wrong way AGAIN!:D

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seats will amazingly fit in here! LOL! Actually, the only thing with the interior that I'm worried about is cramming three pedals in. Not a lot of room with that extended bell Hemi in there. I figure I've got about 11 or 12 inches for my feet between the tunnel and the cowl. They will be hanging pedals. That will propose design challenges in themselves. They will have to be custom since there will be a Schroeder steering box in there.

Here's some pics for you...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't have any others. Hope you can get an idea of what's going on from those at least.

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, man - I always enjoy your updates. It seems that you are putting alot of thought into your build and not just throwing it together. I like that.

Malcolm

18. I am thinking that when you put the rear leaves back in, it will raise the rear, and the weight of the engine will lower the front, giving you a nice "hot rod rake."

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully not much rake, but a little bit would make it look aggressive. The way the top of the roof is, it already kind of gives it a raked look. Hopefully that Hemi doesn't drop it too much. I'm a little worried about that. I've got about 4-1/2 inches from ground to that front crossmember before I start whackin' stuff on the pavement! :eek:

On another subject of body and mind... here's a quick photoshop (MS Pain actually! HA!) I did showing how it will sorta look with the wheel well filled in. NOTE: I'm not an expert at picture modifications!! :rolleyes: :eek:

[​IMG]

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

couple of quick notes:

have you taken into account the negative spring travel (rebound) on the front spring. as there is no engine in the car don't think it would be to much of a problem, but the last thing you would want is to have the front end of the car come off the ground at 90 mph due to sudden infinite stiffness.

quick trick on doing those very annoying rear springs (if you have the space) get a long bolt, long enough to go through all the leaves. attach the largest leaf to the spring perches/ shackles 1st, then stack the rest of the springs on and slide the bolt through. (while you are it, you can always polish those leaves). Tighten the bolt and cut off the excess threads.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your rear spring had already had some leaves removed before you took some more out. Since you say the car just lays down on the side when you get in I'm thinkin' the spring you have is just shot.
    Correct spring perch center eye to center eye distance for Model A rear spring 49.5" so you'll know.

Pick up another one and try it before you spend the big bucks.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! Took that into account. It's also the reason I haven't finished off the notches in that area. Right now, I have about an inch for rebound w/out the engine in it. Need to pile about 700 pounds of crap on that frame to see how much more it's going to drop.

Worse case scenario. If the front just ends up too low with the engine in, I'll cut the crossmember out, put a crossmember behind it's current location and mount the spring with a "perch" that would allow infinite spring travel at the ends. Wouldn't be too difficult to do, just won't look quite as cool. Function is most important!

23. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

It looks great Scooter! I'm very glad the spring worked out. Gimme a call if you're gonna be in town this weekend so me and my bro can cruise by.

--Andrew

24. That front end is great, I might just steal some ideas there.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might want to watch and see if it works first! LOL! :D

Won't be coming up I don't think. Too much going on the next couple weeks. Not sure when I'll be back up again. I will call you when I DO come back in though. Would like to see you guys!

26. shitbox2

shitbox2

do you have a side pic of the whole car and a full back pick . this car kicks ass by the way

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! I appreciate it...

I have a couple at home. I'll try and get them loaded up in the next couple days for you. Not the greatest shots though. Was hard to get a straight on shots in the garage without a wide angle lense or something.

28. Nice work!....lookin forward to more pic's...
    Love the door as the "To-Do" list.....

29. shitbox2

shitbox2

awesome thanks and again great job