Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wyotech??? Anyone on here???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evilfordcoupe™, May 4, 2005.

1. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

A good friend owns a diesel repair shop. The 2 last guys he hired came from a huge tech school in phoenix(sorry name escapes me) The first guy shows up on his first day with a uhaul truck to unload his tools. Rick said probably 15 grand worth of mac tools and all brand new. Three weeks later he quit said this wasn't what he expected, and enrolled in Fullerton city college. His newest guy he loves. He is so eager to learn anything and wants to take on every job.
    Lets face it though in life its not what ya know its who ya know......;)

2. My Brother In Law Went To Wyo. Didnt Learn Shit.i Wouldnt Let Him Change My Oil..i Went To My Local Bodyshop And Asked To Learn The Trade On Weekends 4 Free....i Know More Shit Now Then The Guy That Owns The Shop.....like That One Kat Said....get A Project And Have Some Fun And Learn On Your Own.....good Luck.

3. ironpile

ironpile

I hate to badmouth something if I don`t know something about it. My son went to WO tech to be a bodyman,learned a lot of good stuff,cost a lot of money,still paying student loan no longer a body man but does use some of the skills he learned. I `ve seen several others that no longer work in the field they trained for. Bottom line experience seems to be more valuable than education.. Catch 22 Jerry :(

4. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I have to add my 2cents now.

I tried my hardest to find someone worth a shit at Wyotech. After 20 or so resumes(they all were written the same) I had given up. A local guy named Carlos came in with his transcripts and pieces of his work from his upholstery class. We were looking for someone to do our seats and work in the hotrod side of the shop. Not only did he shine!!!! He has been an excellent addition to Flyrite and is 120% driven. He went to Wyotech, learned all he could, did excellent in the classes and is a hardworking guy. That is what it takes!

I saw so many kids with crappy grades and crappy attendance, they had all the god damn excusses in the world as to why. You get sick of their shit and wonder why in hell they even wasted mom and dads money or worse yet, stuck themselves with financial aid.

So out of the 20 or so, we found one shining star.

5. THECHICK

THECHICK

Good luck to you when you get out- look us uo- maybe we will hire you! :D

Do you feel that you will be prepared enough to handle most work once you get out or do you feel you will still be in ' apprentice 'mode?

What do you have for a ride now or what have you been working on?

The LOVE of the skills is the first thing that will get you in the door....:)

6. trey

trey

i went to wyotech...

for a car show..

does that count?

hire me

trey

7. Brickster

Brickster

Jason,
    You nailed it. I hope everyone that is ever interested in hiring a graduate from any school reads this. A diploma from anywhere does not mean that you are the best of the best. Always dig deeper. We (wyotech) stress attendance, appearance, skills and professionalism. If you find yourself an applicant that has not been able to get though this program without excellent attendance, minamal professionalism infractions and a good grade let them go somewhere else. Test them on their welding ability or something you do in your shop that you would expect an entry level employee to know. I know appearance may not seem that important to a lot of people out there but what it shows is that dedication to follow the directions set fourth by the school and an employee that shows he can follow directions is always a good addition.

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

Hey guys, I just graduated in June from PA, 98 percent and a few decorations while I took everything except automotive and ASM.Plus I have certification as a Ford Tech, worked flat rate for nearly 4 years, and CNC for just over 3. I worked my ass off to get where I am, and it pisses me off how people who went there and didn't try complain, or go work for a shop and end up makin all of us techers look bad. Many of the shops I spoke to said they didn't want to hire students from there.After 2 months, the hard work and my attitude paid off. Ken and the guys at Rolling Bones decided to give me a shot. So, I guess it paid off for me, and its a dream come true. Building Hot rods everyday...REAL Hot Rods, no comprimises.

9. Built4speed

Built4speed
    from San Jose

I'm a new member here and I found this thread regarding Wyotech and I guess I'm a few months late.Here's my take on attending Wyotech.

I attended the school in Fremont when it was called Soquoia Institute,then the name change came about the third phase.First off,I'd like to say that I learned plenty and earned good grades,finishing at 93% and ended up with a lot of gold stars on my badge.
    This from someone who didn't have any previous shop time or basic mechanical knowledge.Besides the young students,there were older guys like me looking for a career change because of lay-offs and stuff.We had a doctor in our class.

The instructors I had were great except for one.

I want to thank Mr.Moore,Mr Walker,Mr Borders,Mr.Blevins and Mr. Wolf and the other instructors who's names I can't recall at the moment for their help.
    I'm 42 and I attended this school only to learn more about automobiles mechanically and maybe get into the tech field for a later career.I really wasn't interested in working for anyone but to start my own business in designing custom cars.
    Some of the instructors saw my car designs and are interested in hooking me up with some big time customizers so I did get something out of the school.
    I'm a self taught automotive design student with plans to earn a degree in transportation design and one of my hobbies is automotive history.

The guys and girls just out of highschool that were in my class and in my group were very bright and they did put some of the instructors to shame.There's hope for America's future after all. Not all the students were dumbasses.
    What was a bit disturbing was seeing writing on the bathroom stalls of students being called dumbasses and other harsh stuff,obviously written by an instructor.There's cameras near the bathrooms BTW.Smart move.

The school is strict on attendence and dress codes and theses codes became strictor as time went by after the name change to WyoTech.The school seemed to be weeding out some of the instructors who weren't doing their job.I've heard one was cut because he was caught smoking weed with the students. Some teachers were dicks and others were cool but most of them knew their stuff.
    The school brought in newer cars to work on,brought in new lifts,tools and equipment.More new equipment was said to be coming in.
    The school has also cut down on students stealing parts from the school cars.The clips are no longer there. The BMW class is great and it was my goal to attend it.
    The class sizes are large and we had to wait for one group to finish with a station or lift.When that happened,we went straight to the AllData computers so we were busy.We were also able to work on our own cars but I think that changed when someone screwed up working on his vehicle.
    I work full time which required constant mandatory but paid training, my perfect attendence suffered some,but because I was paying my own way,I expected more for my money.
    Toward the end class sizes increased while the assistants for the Instructor on my last class disappeared or appeared drugged out.For our Electrical/air conditioning/ignition classes,we were expected to work on 25 to 35 year old diagnostic equipment that rarely worked and most of the times,we couldn't find our instructors.We managed to work on our own.We were hoping to work on new engines and so on but we had to start somewhere right?
    Worst of all,the instructor's english wasn't so great and he lost our #2 objectives which we needed to pass the class. He found the objectives on the last day but I think that happened because someone brought it to the higher ups attention.15 students including myself would've flunked the class if the issue wasn't raised.
    I did however end up with a 92% grade for the class.I wonder how high my grade would've been had I had a great instructor.He admitted he's only there to collect a paycheck.Yeah,like that's what I wanted to hear while I spend $25 grand.
    But despite this one negative I had for this one class,I don't regret going to the school.
    I did cut my time short with this school because of increasing frustration and after learning that he would be teaching the next class.I said screw it and told the school I'll be attending another school or I'll come back when things get better.
    The school requires you to put in some hard work and the instructors challange you.I prefered getting my hands dirty work in the shop but the classes were cool. .

I hope that things improved at the Fremont school but I do keep in touch with some of my former classmates and they are increasingly unhappy.

I also wish that the Fremont school had the Street Rod,body repair and frame fabrication courses because these would've help me in my goal for building my custom cars and I would've stuck with it.

If you're choosing to go to WyoTech,ask a lot of questions about class size,job placement and so on.Take time to think about it because it's a big investment of your time and money.Make sure you're not paying 30 grand just for a piece of paper.Some students have already gotten good job offers early because of their hard work.

When you go to school,be prepared to work hard and be challanged by great instructors.

Good Luck.

10. clean94ranger

clean94ranger

I see i am several months later on this, but i have to reply because threads like this always bother me. Before i signed up for Wyotech, I was all set to go down to Houston to UTI, and i changed my mind 3 weeks before my classes started at uti. I expected a lot out of Wyotech, they are on tv, and overhaulin episode took place there, etc... It wasnt exactly what i expected when i got here, and it seemed like the overall moral of the school was kind of low. I ignored it, and worked as hard as icould in class and in the shop. As of now i have over a 96% average and perfect attendance, and have never had a professionalism infraction. I've been through collision, refinishing, and am now in street rod. I came into the school with some experience, and I kept an open mind the whole time, and learned a ton. So far in street rod i havent stopped learning, even with things that seem so basic and funidmental. In my opinion, 95% of the students dont deserve a job after school, how can you make it in the real world, when you can hardly make it through a 9 month school? There are those few students in every class that are extremely motivated and want to learn, and those are usually the only ones that do. It seems like everyone else "knows it already" Those are just my 2cents...Wyotech COULD be worth it, but only if YOU make it worth it!

11. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

So is it only Full Time or can you go there for certain classes that you get to pick?

12. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

G,T,O... As far as i know, you have to ben enrolled in autobody/tech/diesel or whatever they have in order to classify in street rod. So to simply answer your question NO, you have to be a full time student.

13. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Thanks

14. krupanut

krupanut

Please send resume so Jason can make sure you know what you're doing ;)

15. I run a race car mechanic school at Infineon (Sears Point) and frankly we get teh rich kids and we get the asses - they come IN that way and I Daddy them - then the li'l fuckers go out and really (usually) get real jobs on real race teams ( Furniture Row Racing NASCAR for example) so cut the school and the school staff slack - we didn't get the IRS deduction but we grew 'em up
    Some parents don't

16. zero to fear

zero to fear

We started a performance fabrication program for the folks wanting to bypass any of the automotive based programs. The Hot Rod industry needs focused training for a dedicated workforce, if interested check out www.metalcrafttools.com.

17. Great more like you - less like the silver spoon makers for the children of asses

18. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

what the fuck does that mean???

i went to wyotech, wasnt what i was promised, classes where too packed, some instructors really didnt care. there were students that got kicked out of my classes for stealing, and drugs. i got suspended while i was there and an instructor got fired for standing up for me. all you need to do is respect everyone and understand that there are retarded people everywhere... especially Wyoming. i was pissed off at just the right moment and some kid said some shit that nobody should ever say to anyone, and i hit him in the face. a lot of people that were in the head of staff quit while i was in the middle of my "sentence" and i ended up going through some stupid anger management that was a joke. a lot of the instructors and the curricullum is great, but the college that it is owned by is a joke. they dont know shit about cars, or any of the other schools out of Wyotech. all they know about is making money. a lot of the original instructors are now at VC tech out of Alabama.

if you really want to talk to talk to an instructor that will give you all the facts, PM poop.

19. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

I Grad. In Sept. 01

20. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Man, this is an old thread--2005!

Kid stuff...

I'd say mechanical work seems to be your sentence rather than your vocation.

The bottom line about "anger management" is that you don't want to descend to the same level of the person who is pushing your buttons. It's not a joke, it's not stupid. It's a quickie-method of learning useful psychology.

You're not going to achieve the goal of becoming a breadwinner, by getting fired all the time.

21. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I attended for a while back in 01 and decided that it was too expensive. So, I got my Associates degree in Automotive Technology from Flint Hills Technical College in Emporia Kansas instead. I think I made the righ decision in my case, smaller classes so the instructors were alot more hands on and willing to help students with problems, school or personal. And it was a live shop none of that rigged bullshit, I hated that! didn't teach me a damn thing while I was there except I learned how to part hard! Ended up spending 8 grand for 2 years instead of like 30 for a year.

22. streetart

streetart

On the way to Bonneville last year , The bones salt tour stopped by Wyotedh for the grand tour.
    Quite inpressive, each student get there own English wheel /tig/mig unit to work with instead of sharing with a cuople of classmates, What floored me was the sign on the door in the long corodor... STREETROD FAB 101
    Uniforms and clean ...housing is available right there ...Bring your own projects is recomended... Chris from the Rolling bones shop graduated from there and he was the tour connection .

23. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

See, now that's what I'm talkin about! It's what the fuck you make of it! I'm not sayin that a few don't get screwed but it's ultimately up to the indiividual student When I read that it sucks from some people I start to think that maybe I can't do it either. Well BS to that man. If I'm there, I'm f'n there to freakin wale on some steel. Later - Phil

24. Cshabang

Cshabang

Well, I'm the "chris" george is talking about, and as the guy right above me says, its what you make of it...I treated it like my job and came out just fine...I persoanlly can't stand anyone who shit talks the school or others..Go there with NO EXPECTATIONS other than to LEARN.

25. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Thanks - Well said!

26. johnnyfrank54

johnnyfrank54
    from las vegas

i went there in 01 in the autobody,painting, and streetrod body program it was a good school but it wasn't the smartest thing i did i'll be paying that bill tell the day i die

27. johnnyfrank54

johnnyfrank54
    from las vegas

again well said i got every thing i but in to it plus a whole lot more, i just never found the job the recruter talked so much about

28. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

In our experience, the recruiters never call us back or follow through with job postings. In the end, its the students that loose out, they already made their money.

-Jason